If the game won't start properly

Started by Tynan, July 16, 2014, 04:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiame

For those having issues with the latest update of windows, does your Start button stop working?

I was having black screen issues in multiple games and my start menu, when clicked or keyboard windows key, would not pop up. After much digging i found this fix which worked for me:

windows key + r will cause "Run" to open. Type "regedit" and after administrator confirmation regedit will open. On the left navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > Advance
With "Advance" selected, right click in the right pane and select "New > DWORD (32-bit) value".
A new item will appear and the name can be edited. Name it EnableXamlStartMenu

Exit regedit and restart the computer. It fixed both my start menu and my black screen issues.

Word of warning. regedit is a powerful tool. Changing anything other than what I listed above could have terrible results (like breaking Windows). Use at your own risk

Source: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c178c411-db67-4b1d-a13f-c3d1e8afab9e/start-menu-doesnt-show-up-anymore?forum=WinPreview2014General

Search for EnableXamlStartMenu to find the post

Edit: If it helps with tracking hardware setups/reported problems i have a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU and AMD rx480 GPU. Windows 10 Home.

lostlilkat

My W10 laptop just pushed the update and broke RimWorld. It started opening as a thin line that isn't visible, but I hovered over the box and right-clicked the top edge and clicked "maximize". Now I can sometimes get the screen to show but it is all black and won't do anything but play the theme music.
I uninstalled and reinstalled twice and used Steam's client to verify the game files.
I've run Risk of Rain since the update with no issues, but that game is DRM-free vs. RimWorld on Steam.
Edit: I have no issue with my start button or start menu.
Edit: I can use Shift+Tab to access Steam in-game, but nothing else.
Edit: Found a solution: http://steamcommunity.com/app/294100/discussions/0/1489992713701469592/

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Calahan

@ Kiame - Thanks for posting that info about the additional options available for resolving the problems the recent Windows 10 update is causing some users.

@ lostlilkat - Glad you were able to solve your problem, and additional thanks for posting the link to the info that allowed you to solve it.

niggles

Hi folks,
I am trying to run the latest update, 18beta on my ubuntu 14.04
17b was working using a script i patched together from suggestions in this topic
[pre]#!/bin/bash
#Launcher for the Linux version of RimWorld

# cd into the directory containing this script
SCRIPT=$(readlink -f "$0")
DIR=$(dirname "$SCRIPT")
cd "$DIR"
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjemalloc.so.1
#Getting game executable name.
GAMEFILE=`ls | egrep x86$`

#Checking if OS is 32 or 64 bits and adjusting the game executable name accordingly.
OSVERSION=`uname -m`
if [[ $OSVERSION == "x86_64" ]]
    then GAMEFILE=${GAMEFILE}_64
fi

#Puts the game executable as... executable if not the case.
if [ ! -x $GAMEFILE ]
    then chmod +x $GAMEFILE
fi

#If this is a dev version, we want to activate logs.
#if [[ $GAMEFILE == *Dev* ]]
#    then LOG="-logfile /tmp/rimworld_log"
#    else LOG=""
#fi

#We always want to activate logs
LOG="-logfile /tmp/rimworld_log"

#Locale resetting (important for Ubuntu players who are not native speakers of English) and launching the game.
LC_ALL=C ./$GAMEFILE $LOG -force-opengl[/pre]

So now when I try and execute the game using the scripts I get these:
sudo ./start_RimWorld_openglfix.sh 
./start_RimWorld_openglfix.sh: line 39:  4360 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ./$GAMEFILE $LOG $FORCEGL $@

sudo ./start_RimWorld.sh
./start_RimWorld.sh: line 33:  4415 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) LC_ALL=C ./$GAMEFILE $LOG

sudo ./executerimworld
./executerimworld: line 33:  4469 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) LC_ALL=C ./$GAMEFILE $LOG -force-opengl

I am sleep deprived and sad, I really want to play the new update.
I have tried clearing out home/.config/unity3d/ludeon  with no change in result.
Any help or suggestions most welcome.

Calahan

@ niggles - You haven't actually said what problem you are having (although I'm assuming some sort of black screen issue given the thread you've posted in).

B18 included a Unity update, and that Unity update broke support for some older GPU's / GPU drivers under Linux. Some Linux users have been able to resolve this problem by updating their GPU drivers, while for others there was no solution available because their GPU just doesn't support OpenGL 3+ (that the version of Unity that RimWorld is now using requires as a minimum).

Here are three other support threads about the issue (which may or may not offer you some solutions)

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36972.0
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=37123.0
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36958.0

So (assuming you are having some black screen/graphical issues) please can you check that your GPU drivers are up to date, and if they are please check with your GPU manufacturer as to what OpenGL support your GPU has.

Vampner

Hey guys, I found a easy fix.

I have my steam set to my native language and that made the game start in black screen.

So I changed Rimworld to start in ENGLISH, and woops, it worked.

To do this, rightclick Rimworld in the steam folder, properties, language, set to english.

Calahan

@ Vampner - Thanks for the info on another possible cause/solution. It's odd just how many different tech issues having a non-English setting can cause, as this isn't the first issue that is caused/solved by this. So not surprised you've found a case of a black screen issue being solved in this way (it's unlikely to be a fix for black screen issues in most cases, but certainly a quick and easy one to add to the check list).

Reinhark

I suspect that B18 not only broke GPU but also mods.

I was trying to add B18 mods(Tried to add more mods -> restart -> Back to add mods, repeat multiple times) and then the game itself broke permanently after one unfortunate restart.

Deleting mod list from config folder(Or deleting config folder) did nothing.
Deleting entire rimworld except mod folder also did nothing.
Deleting all workshop content did nothing.(I am not unsubbing all workshop items, as I have at least 40)

Due to its abrupt appearance of this bug(I have not even played the game to produce this error), I assume that there is some kind of fundamental instability within B18.

Note: Windows 8.1, I think I had pretty recent NVDIA driver, GTX960.

Edit#2 : Reinstalling the game from steam worked, but now that I am downloading the mods again. I am sure it will break again.
I think coughing up entire mod list if ONE SINGLE THING go wrong is OK if it does its job, but I do not see how this is useful if game could be broken by mod list even with this feature.

Edit #3: OK, I have tracked down the source mod error back to one undeleted </li> mxl tag somewhere in the mod. I think game will not break with 0 errors... probably. 
However, I should still report that one </li> tag somewhere is capable of breaking the game and prompts user to reinstall.

Calahan

@ Reinhark - Thank you for the info, and for troubleshooting the problem you had yourself.

Although I don't know enough about modding to know exactly what you are reporting with your final edit. If a mod is missing a </li> tag, and that causes the game to crash, how does that force a reinstall? As won't removing the mod remove the problem? As the mod wouldn't have modified any of the core game files. The user might need to delete their config folder, but again that's not the same and forcing a user to reinstall.

If there was a fundamental stability issue with B18 and mods, I'm fairly sure the major modders would have flagged something by now. If an error/bug in a mod causes the game to crash then that's the fault of the mod AFAIK (although if you do think you've found a bug in the vanilla game then please create a bug thread for it, as the devs are very unlikely to see it here in a 20+ page long support thread).

Nukeist

Hi, love the game and the community. First post so I'll try to keep it concise. I'm attempting to run Rimworld on a Debian Jessie Virtual Box VM. I downloaded the file, unzipped to the directory I wanted it to be in that had the correct user permissions. Running "./RimWorld1722Linux.x86_64" yields "Player data archive not found at 'mydir/RimWorld1722Linux/RimWorld1722Linux_Data/data.unity3d', using local filesystem" then nothing. When I attempt to run "./start_RimWorld_openglfix.sh" i get "Sorry, game still crashed with the -force-opengl fix" after what looks like something trying to open. After this i tried "./start_RimWorld.sh" and it again looks like something tried to open but was immediately closed. I have yet to get the game to actually run on this system but it does run on my host so the files are okay. I have also redownloaded/reextracted with no luck. I'm quite new in general so if there is something else I can provide to help diagnose this please let me know.

Edit: I posted here because this is where the "Notes for Linux Users.txt" file suggests. If there is a better place for this i'd be happy to change locale.

Edit 2: Also, right-clicking and selecting run through file manager does nothing on x86 or x86_64.

Edit 3: Tried possible solution here https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2605.msg23998#msg23998 by creating a new script and adding those lines plus the recommended "-savedatafolder=SaveData" and "-force-opengl". Running the new script gave the same result as the above scripts. It seems that there is some library I'm unaware of that has unity.3d or the game is supposed to create it at boot but is refusing to?

kithros

Quote from: Nukeist on January 10, 2018, 06:23:56 PM
Hi, love the game and the community. First post so I'll try to keep it concise. I'm attempting to run Rimworld on a Debian Jessie Virtual Box VM. I downloaded the file, unzipped to the directory I wanted it to be in that had the correct user permissions. Running "./RimWorld1722Linux.x86_64" yields "Player data archive not found at 'mydir/RimWorld1722Linux/RimWorld1722Linux_Data/data.unity3d', using local filesystem" then nothing. When I attempt to run "./start_RimWorld_openglfix.sh" i get "Sorry, game still crashed with the -force-opengl fix" after what looks like something trying to open. After this i tried "./start_RimWorld.sh" and it again looks like something tried to open but was immediately closed. I have yet to get the game to actually run on this system but it does run on my host so the files are okay. I have also redownloaded/reextracted with no luck. I'm quite new in general so if there is something else I can provide to help diagnose this please let me know.

Edit: I posted here because this is where the "Notes for Linux Users.txt" file suggests. If there is a better place for this i'd be happy to change locale.

Edit 2: Also, right-clicking and selecting run through file manager does nothing on x86 or x86_64.

Edit 3: Tried possible solution here https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2605.msg23998#msg23998 by creating a new script and adding those lines plus the recommended "-savedatafolder=SaveData" and "-force-opengl". Running the new script gave the same result as the above scripts. It seems that there is some library I'm unaware of that has unity.3d or the game is supposed to create it at boot but is refusing to?

Having the same issue on KDE/ CENTOS7. Worked fine on the same laptop wih Arch linux. Will be working on this today, Will update if I find anything.

Nukeist

Quote from: kithros on January 11, 2018, 01:33:44 PM

Having the same issue on KDE/ CENTOS7. Worked fine on the same laptop wih Arch linux. Will be working on this today, Will update if I find anything.

I've tried every Debian based distro with no luck. All saying they are missing a data.unity3d file. Spoke to people in the unity freenode IRC and they have no idea what's going on. I'll be trying on rhel based distros today as well. If you find a distro that runs it please let me know. I'm stuck running on a low end windows machine D:

kithros

Quote from: Nukeist on January 12, 2018, 12:58:05 AM

I've tried every Debian based distro with no luck. All saying they are missing a data.unity3d file. Spoke to people in the unity freenode IRC and they have no idea what's going on. I'll be trying on rhel based distros today as well. If you find a distro that runs it please let me know. I'm stuck running on a low end windows machine D:

Ok after looking at this it looks like its the version of OpenGL that is killing it, Check this post

My understanding is that the new unity used openGL3.2 .

you can check your supported opengl with
glxinfo|grep OpenGL

Right now it looks like the only way to play the game is to revert back to A17. I might try that and report back.

Nukeist

Quote from: kithros on January 12, 2018, 04:34:23 AM
Quote from: Nukeist on January 12, 2018, 12:58:05 AM

Ok after looking at this it looks like its the version of OpenGL that is killing it, Check this post

My understanding is that the new unity used openGL3.2 .

you can check your supported opengl with
glxinfo|grep OpenGL

Right now it looks like the only way to play the game is to revert back to A17. I might try that and report back.

I will check the opengl version in a moment but the problem I'm having doesn't seem to be related.

My terminal doesn't show:

"Desktop is 1366 x 768 @ 59 Hz
Unable to find a supported OpenGL core profile
Failed to create valid graphics context: please ensure you meet the minimum requirements
E.g. OpenGL core profile 3.2 or later for OpenGL Core renderer
Vulkan detection: 0
No supported renderers found, exiting"

It ends at:
"Player data archive not found at `../RimWorld/RimWorldLinux_Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystem"

Which leads me to believe a file "data.unity3d", that is supposed to be with the B18 DRM-free download, is not there. I also noticed that I've only gotten it to run on machines that have Steam installed. I'm going to see if I can find and just copy and paste the data.unity3d file from the machine with Steam installed.

kithros

Check /tmp/rimworld.log for the real error.

That file will 've created when the game launches for the first time. That error is a red herring.