[1.4] Call of Cthulhu - Rim of Madness Expansion Pack (10/21/2022)

Started by jecrell, September 14, 2016, 08:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragoon

Quote from: MechanoidHiveMind on April 07, 2017, 04:10:44 PM
About the scenario: how about a human that just walks into the map (no notification) and just starts running as soon as it sees the first target, the poor fellow (target) doesn't know what's going on and then just BAM!! It kills him ( unless he's Bruce Lee ) and then you have 2 of them on your colony
the two of them become hostile and start attacking the colony....
Quote from: MechanoidHiveMind on April 07, 2017, 04:10:44 PM

About the scenario: how about a human that just walks into the map (no notification)

That's absolutely Awful. First off no notification, great. Why don't we just have them drop onto our colonists while they sleep? Make sure to turn off all the notifications we don't want to know when our colonist is attacked, so we just lose the whole base  8). Cause that's fun, right?

They move very fast(or at least faster than colonist that have no debuff), so you can't outrun them, super infectious. Body part removal en masse YAY! And based on your bruce lee comment I'm guessing they are amazing in melee at the same time (awesome with no way to know ones here). And greatest of joy, due to that let's have it where if you don't remove a limb you have more of these aggressive, fast and super infectious buggers really really quickly!  ;D And I'm guessing the infection spreads really quickly as well correct? After all a slow painful death doesn't sound right.

I'm sorry if I'm aggressive in my post, but it's things like this that cause loading way back, unnecessary deaths, and just causes an annoyance rather than adding anything interesting, or adding to the story.

I love the idea of a zombie Apocolypse, I really do, but this is a bad way to handle it. I remember when that zombie mod was in its early days and they just poured in and you could not melee them because they would bite the torso and you would have to load back or just roll with losing a colonist. It was, even more, enjoyment when you had, the virus go airborne and the dead raider would rise up in battle if you did not cut up/burn their bodies quick enough. Gotta love 80 tribal corpses popping up (not even sarcasm), who here doesn't remember that?
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Benis

So I've found that with both the Hospitality mod and Elder Things mod active, if you sell slaves to visiting Elder Things you'll get a bug where when it's time for them to leave, the 'visitors are leaving' message is spammed about x10 per second and the Elder Things/slaves just mill about in continued visitor behavior. I tried deconstructing every door between them and the outside and no dice. Went to click Hospitality's 'send away' option to no effect on the Elder Things, then on a sold slave, which opened a blank, semi-transparent dialogue window that froze the game. This has happened to me twice, and only when I've sold a slave to visiting Elder Things.
Not sure if this is something which could be addressed on your end, and it can be avoided by just not selling slaves to the Elder Things (sucks, it's fitting and quite convenient) but I thought I'd let you know.

Canute

I can understand what the sacrifice "Aspect of Cthulu" has no effect on Elder things, even when i think a deity tentacle is more powerful then an elder thing ones.
But at last it could restore a missing tentacle, or i just was unlucky with just 3 trys.

Laser gun research, you should add the prerequirement of Machining, since you need that table to build the gun.
Or at last Microelectronic basic.

And it is possible to create a animal corpse subcategory for cosmic horror creatures ?

JT

So my tribals were cozily resting in their bed when I decided to start browsing the terrain to see what sorts of animals I could tame and/or to look out for predators, when I discovered that the ancient one that had meandered into our lands a season ago had met a most unfortunate and anticlimactic end...

In short, it may be ideal to give them immunity to infection -- the easiest way would be to give them a free healthdiff upon spawning with immuneTo tags (just like PenoxycylineHigh), but without any declination in severity. =)

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

ChairmanPoo

Meh, they tend to die a lot anyway. Continuous, severe hunger means that sooner or later they eat all normal wildlife and start hunting more dangerous things... including other predators. So it's a matter of time they'll receive a deadly wound.

Maybe a better way would be to make them as tough as you say but not eating per se... more like the Cthonian event. They pop in and demand a sacrifice. If you won't provide it they won't burst into your base per se, but anything human outside is dead meat.

Canute

2. feedback about the Elder thing.
- Very positiv it is the 1. race mod i saw escape pods with other races, but i think Orassans can happen this too but didn't played them lately. Never got one with Apini's.

- I think all these tentacle should be renamed to identify them at the opterations bill. Just First leg tentacle, Second leg tentacle, or just 1. Leg tentacle...
You never know on which one you need to install something.

- ET bionics isn't craftable, i think when they can build a laser gun, they can craft bionics too.

- They need a few appeareal. ok i can understood it is hard to give them a full protection with all these tentacles. But some belt accesours with personal shield and/or telekinetic enhancer (+movespeed), body tunic with little protection and pretty look (social impact) and a hightech bioengeneered fullbody skinsuit (half the protection of a power armor).

None ET thing,
I would like to have a recipe with a noncoloured obelisk too.
And maybe some small/mini obelisk too, with half light radius.
They are excelent light sources ! :-)
And i think you should add 100(total) silver to add to the recipe for the glyphes you see on them.

Autocthon

I've tried to install the Elder Things add on a few times now and I get the error message stating that I'm using the wrong version, at which point all of my mods get disabled. I'm downloading the Elder Things version from Patreon and I'm using the latest version of Rimworld. I've checked this topic to see if anyone had this issue as well and as far as I can tell I'm the only one, so does anyone know what could cause that to happen?

Canute

Did you download and install the latest Alien Framework too ?

Benis

Quote from: JT on April 17, 2017, 01:43:30 PM
So my tribals were cozily resting in their bed when I decided to start browsing the terrain to see what sorts of animals I could tame and/or to look out for predators, when I discovered that the ancient one that had meandered into our lands a season ago had met a most unfortunate and anticlimactic end...

In short, it may be ideal to give them immunity to infection -- the easiest way would be to give them a free healthdiff upon spawning with immuneTo tags (just like PenoxycylineHigh), but without any declination in severity. =)

I'll +1 infection immunity since it seems a silly thing for an extremely durable, redundant and toxicity-immune eldritch creature to succumb to (though I love my free barkskin from those young dark who succumb to the power of boar and tortoise).
Food poisoning immunity too, if it can be done, as it's just as silly logically. That -50% consciousness debuff is ridiculous, I always raise the hunting party.

Quote from: ChairmanPoo on April 17, 2017, 02:55:30 PM
Meh, they tend to die a lot anyway. Continuous, severe hunger means that sooner or later they eat all normal wildlife and start hunting more dangerous things... including other predators. So it's a matter of time they'll receive a deadly wound.

Maybe a better way would be to make them as tough as you say but not eating per se... more like the Cthonian event. They pop in and demand a sacrifice. If you won't provide it they won't burst into your base per se, but anything human outside is dead meat.

I disagree with making them a copy of the cthonian event. I really enjoy how dark young are just ramped-up, insanity-inducing predators you can even tame who'll drain the map of wildlife and cost you an animal or colonist if you forget to keep an eye on them (or follow a caravan to your base trying to snack on its trade animals; this has happened three times to me and is always a good time).
Out of at least 30 or 40 dark young, I've only seen one die in a straight-up fight with another animal (grizzly bear). Prior to that, I'd watched them kill wolves, bears, rhinos, elephants just fine. Of every dark young who appears on the map, I'd say maybe 25-30% of them end up dying of infection on temperate forest, probably less on other biomes. The rest just keep eating until they encounter me some way or another.
What I'd like to see is a stronger dark young variant like the deep ones' great deep one, appearing in later game and just as much as a step up danger-wise, and with endgame leather of the same magnitude as cthonian leather as your reward for surviving it.

Autocthon

Quote from: Canute on April 19, 2017, 12:14:11 PM
Did you download and install the latest Alien Framework too ?

Well Damn, I was wondering if I needed Alien Framework too, but as I couldn't find anything in the Elder Things description stating it was needed  I never bothered. Thanks, that solves that headache.

Canute

Cults + Elder things
QuoteBetter apparel means greater worship results and higher success rates for your sacrifices.
Since Elder things can't equip cult apparel, is there any other way to increase the success rate ? Maybe with scuptures ?

Decoherent

Hey folks, I have a stupid question, so let me lead by first saying that the art in these mods is amazing. The Mi-Go and Star Vampires in particular freak me the hell out. That said, is there any info on how to use all of these mechanics in-game? (since I'd rather not read all 28 pages) I have a colony happily humming along, researched ~all the techs, have an alter, it's got buttons, but they don't do anything. I've even been keeping prisoners in strait-jackets waiting for something awesome, but besides the occasional sinkholes, they're just going to waste!

Canute

Not sure about a wiki page/entry but its normaly pretty simple.

At the altar you got 2 tabs, Worship and Sacrifice.
Worship is to setup 2 daily sermons, this is a low but steady influence gain to a deity.

Sacrifice offering and animal are the same, you give items/animal to get influence to a deity.
Sacrifice Human you can use once the deity is "watching" you. This is the special thing with the spell/effect.
Each deity got his own unique spells, all spells got a little description what they do.
Not to speak that you need to upgrade the altar to stage/level 3, but when you did all research about cults you should have done that too.

sidfu

can u put a manual downlaod for the a16 versions also. no idea why u have direct version for a15 but not a18.

Decoherent

Quote from: Canute on April 22, 2017, 01:53:56 AM
Not sure about a wiki page/entry but its normaly pretty simple.

At the altar you got 2 tabs, Worship and Sacrifice.
Worship is to setup 2 daily sermons, this is a low but steady influence gain to a deity.

Sacrifice offering and animal are the same, you give items/animal to get influence to a deity.
Sacrifice Human you can use once the deity is "watching" you. This is the special thing with the spell/effect.
Each deity got his own unique spells, all spells got a little description what they do.
Not to speak that you need to upgrade the altar to stage/level 3, but when you did all research about cults you should have done that too.
Thanks :) I don't know how I missed the buttons at the top of the window. This is pretty fun, the race is always on to see if raiders can be sacrificed before they bleed out! Is the Lovecraft storyteller heavily biased towards human raids? I feel like I'm getting just constant waves, in an arctic climate where you usually don't get many. It's fine, just a little surprising.