colonists havef way too much moody crap going on

Started by fractal, August 21, 2016, 04:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fractal

colonists have way too much mood stuff going on its just unreal...it makes it not even fun to play because u can barely even make it through a day without this mood crap happening constantly....

there ages all say 40-50+ but they sure arent acting it... lol

and yes ive tried very hard to make sure they have space and all this stuff....my current colony has the biggest rooms ive ever made and theres no reason for them to just be going off the handle literally every 5 minutes over something...

non-bot verification...a little excessive wow.

and why are they so damn afraid of dead bodies they are the ones who freakin killed the guys so why 2 seconds later are they getting mood debuffs from seeing the body?

I wanna play this game with a little more RTS and militarization and stuff not this reality tv mood simulator :(

Pax_Empyrean

The "Needs" tab will tell you what is making them upset. Deal with that stuff and they'll stop throwing tantrums.

Lightzy

I tend to agree that the current version is a bit too heavy on "events" and focus on "mood", to the point where it's kind of a.. pawn therapy clinic where weird shit keeps happening by total surprise.

I'd probably suggest to add stuff to the game that doesn't have to do with moods directly.

Stuff like the suggested water simulation system, more robust faction/diplomacy systems, a Z-axis for more fun with towers, tunnels, etc. (even just 3 layers would already make the game a million times more fun for people who want to create interesting colony layouts, build an actual fort, etc etc)

Also, to lay off the pasted "events" a little bit and find some more "simulation emergent" possibilities.

In short, stuff that doesn't have to do directly with the pawns.

Kegereneku

QuoteI wanna play this game with a little more RTS and militarization and stuff not this reality tv mood simulator :(

There is your problem. Rimworld isn't RTS or wargame and is pretty much defined as "A sci-fi colony sim driven by an intelligent AI storyteller".
A colony-game capable of dealing with moods is an huge appeal and most people are actually interested in LESS military stuff.

So you'll have to look for mods.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

chaotix14

While I do agree that it would probably be better to add some more stuff not directly tied in with the moods, I find the moods quite manageable(In fact most of the stuff you need to keep your colonists happy is pretty much set and forget) and to be honest with all the things thrown at our colonists I doubt I'd be in a better state of mind than them. Mind you we are talking about civilians(even the tribals), not some elite military outfit, who have been ripped out of their normal lives and have to survive between various factions that want to see them dead, while having no form of rescue to look towards in the foreseeable nor the distant future. Let's be honest if you were thrown into a hellhole like what our colonists live you'd need some serious positive motivators like decent food, a moment to put the reality of the situation aside and not having to look at an example of how you or your friends could end up tomorrow.

I hate to break it to you, but z-axis ain't happening, it would require too much of a change in the core coding since it was build up from the start as a strictly 2-d game.
QuoteYou won't be able to do a Z-axis feature as a mod unless you're a professional programmer and have the whole RW source code. It is a massive an extremely difficult project.

You'd need to heavily modify all these systems:

-Pathfinding
-Rendering
-Shooting line of sight and cover calculation
-Cover search AI and tactical AI
-Lighting
-Lighting rendering
-Clicking world interface, box selection, and so on
-Map generation
-Plant system, seeds
-Roof grid system, roof generation
-Many others

And massively optimize the whole thing to run multiple times faster than it already does.

Don't attempt to mod this; it would be a very bad project. Make something simple which fits in the existing game.
A quote from Tynan the man himself. In a comment on kickstarter( I would quote it, but I don't fancy scrolling through thousands of comments not really knowing where I'd need to be anyways) he mentioned leaving Z-levels to games like towns, DF and Gnomoria.

A more fancy way of doing diplomacy would be quite welcome though, the current system still feels very basic and underdeveloped.

Pax_Empyrean

If you want more RTS stuff, I suggest modding. You can take out the mood penalties and design a Storyteller who just tells you war stories all day. The Scenario Editor can let you set up a lot of stuff that helps you play out military survival scenarios.

Prepare Carefully can help with this sort of thing, too. Give your people positive mood-enhancing traits like "Optimist" and they'll be less needy.

QuoteMind you we are talking about civilians(even the tribals), not some elite military outfit
There are a fair number of backgrounds that boil down to "space badass" and they're all whiners too. Fortunately, modding lets you play an elite military outfit if you want to.

Wex

QuoteMind you we are talking about civilians(even the tribals), not some elite military outfit

Yes, the sad part about this is the vatgrown soldier -> space marine, trowing tantrums for killing people and seeing dead bodies.
This simply makes no sense.
Colonist with military background should be unfazed by dead people and killing.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

chaotix14

Quote from: Wex on August 21, 2016, 12:34:08 PM

Yes, the sad part about this is the vatgrown soldier -> space marine, trowing tantrums for killing people and seeing dead bodies.

Nope, they should not. Someone with the psychopath trait should be and is unfazed by dead people and killing. You clearly haven't talked to anyone who has been on tour and seen sh*t. They soldier on, but it does not leave them unfazed. I'd even dare to say that anyone who's been on the frontlines and doesn't come home with some demons to contend with, was never right in the head to start with.

That being said, I think it would be thematically nice if they enforced the psychopath trait on vatgrown soldiers and assassins. Because you would expect vatgrown killers to have been relieved of their empathy to make them easier to convince to murder in cold blood.

SpaceDorf

Well thats BS if I ever heard some :)
You heard of Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome ?
Policemen and Federal Agents are required to do Psychatric Evaluations after shooting someone.
Warrior Codes, Religion, Indoctrination, Racism, Family Ties are on the base levels coping mechanisms and justifications for hurting and killing fellow human beings. Dealing with guilt and the argument when it is right to take a life.
Nobody except Psychopaths are unfazed by killing.
It is only today that the theatres of war are so far away from some countries that take part in it ( mainly the US ), that the family members are not directly involved anymore and have no experience of their own to deal with the trauma of their homecoming warriors. I am guessing here, but I think families in those theaters, that go through it together are much better in the long run in coping with the results. I am from Germany and most of our Grandparents still stock their cellars like a war could happen again any day soon.

----
That said colonists with military backgrounds/traits should be able to cope better with combat situations then colonists with other backgrounds/traits.

--- Edit one to react to being ninjad by chaotix ---

And this if of course also right :

That being said, I think it would be thematically nice if they enforced the psychopath trait on vatgrown soldiers and assassins. Because you would expect vatgrown killers to have been relieved of their empathy to make them easier to convince to murder in cold blood.

When you read the Codex Astartes, the process of becoming a Space Marine is 10% being a genetic match,
20% constitution and training, 30% implants and 50% hypnotherapeutic indoctrination ( removing empathy ), enforcing the believe in the unclean xenos ( racism ) believe in the will of the Emperor ( religion ) and believe in being the baddest motherfucker in the valley of death ( warrior code, discipline and family in the brotherhood )
And of course it helps that most of their enemies are trying to kill them.

--- Edit 2 for more oppinion ---

Most of the warrior cultures have also a reputation for playing hard and partying hard when not actively in combat.
So for your Space Marine going on a Booze Binge and punching someone in the face after combat is not a tantrum, in fact it is normal and expected behavior :D
To bad, there are no casual relationships in the game for now, because that would be the next thing on the warriors to do list
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

chaotix14

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 21, 2016, 01:01:07 PM
Most of the warrior cultures have also a reputation for playing hard and partying hard when not actively in combat.
So for your Space Marine going on a Booze Binge and punching someone in the face after combat is not a tantrum, in fact it is normal and expected behavior :D
To bad, there are no casual relationships in the game for now, because that would be the next thing on the warriors to do list

Pretty much, when not fighting warrior cultures usually did the three B's: Booze, Brawling, Broads.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: chaotix14 on August 21, 2016, 01:29:17 PM
Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 21, 2016, 01:01:07 PM

Pretty much, when not fighting warrior cultures usually did the three B's: Booze, Brawling, Broads.

I like the modern german alliteration of the theme :)

Fressen, Ficken, Fernsehen.

It translates into : Gorge. Fuck. Television.
well. after translating it properly it does not sound half as bad as I thought :)

--- Edit ---

It also fits the joy activities of rimworld :)

cultist

Beer is the fastest and cheapest way to deal with mood issues. Just watch out for pawns with chemical fascination. The new drugs in A15 should offer even more ways to manage mood.

Wex

Quote from: chaotix14 on August 21, 2016, 12:50:36 PM

Nope, they should not. Someone with the psychopath trait should be and is unfazed by dead people and killing. You clearly haven't talked to anyone who has been on tour and seen sh*t. They soldier on, but it does not leave them unfazed. I'd even dare to say that anyone who's been on the frontlines and doesn't come home with some demons to contend with, was never right in the head to start with.

They are literaly GROWN for killing. They have been created with this purpose in mind. And in my specific case, has been doing that for 15 years straight, before becoming a colonist.
How in the world do the death of ANYONE faze you?
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

codyjriggle

Quote from: Wex on August 21, 2016, 05:11:48 PM
Quote from: chaotix14 on August 21, 2016, 12:50:36 PM

They are literaly GROWN for killing. They have been created with this purpose in mind. And in my specific case, has been doing that for 15 years straight, before becoming a colonist.
How in the world do the death of ANYONE faze you?

I'd have to agree with you on that.  Vatgrown soldiers should not give 2 shits about seeing dead bodies.

SpaceDorf

@Wex : You are right about the Vatgrown Soldiers and Space Marines and all the other homebrewed psychos.
They should be less fazed, or not at all by killing and cleaning and looting.
I just had a problem with your general statement that all military background are/should be unfazed by this.