Just got rekt by a Beaver.

Started by Spectre, January 22, 2017, 05:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spectre

So I was doing pretty damn well on my 3rd year colony, I had mountains of food, people were generally happy, plenty of drugs, y'know the sort of thing.

I never bothered with hydroponics in this colony because of the abundance of food I get each year that lasts me well into the next. Such was my folly. A friendly Alphabeaver self-tamed and I welcomed him with open arms, I was happy to add a silly little fluffer to the colony and restricted him to my home region so he could live out his merry life free from molestation.

A few days into the winter after Bucky arrived I got a starvation notification. I sighed to myself and wondered who I forgot to undraft or perhaps Raven the 'Too Smart' Herder had walled herself into her own tomb again. I checked each colonist and they were doing their jobs as normal... How odd.

After of few moments of bemusement I checked the freezer. Oh, there's no food in there. Oh, there's Bucky. Oh, how quaint his food level is decreasing at an alarming rate. Oh, the bastard had eaten all my food and had now started on my colonist's plant pots. Oh, there's no way to get any food now because I over hunted for three years! Haha! What merriment! Bucky! You truly are the Alpha (beaver) here you furry little prick.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

carbon

I have to say, "Rekt by a Beaver" sounds like the title of some sort of weird, rimworld-inspired erotic fiction.

----

Also, since there's nothing else in the freezer, you should probably make a Bucky sandwich, if you get my drift.

Lys

Hmm, I didn't even know that beavers eat anything other than trees.
In any case
QuoteOh, there's no way to get any food now because I over hunted for three years!
there is no such thing as overhunting, as far as I'm aware of. There is only a maximum amount of wild animals that will be in your zone at a given time (excluding events such as manhunter), and in winter most animals will not appear (comfortable temperature has to be met, and if they do appear and there is no food they will exit the map quite quickly).

Shurp

Quote from: carbon on January 22, 2017, 06:11:18 PM---
Also, since there's nothing else in the freezer, you should probably make a Bucky sandwich, if you get my drift.

LOL!

Too bad Bucky won't go very far.  I think you'll have to add a colonist or two to the menu.  But don't despair, maybe you'll get attacked by a herd of manhunting Muffalo!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

PotatoeTater

I get excited when the manhunting event is muffalo, it's meals on wheels then.
Life is Strange

makapse

I had a pack of 32 manhunting gazelles against my 5-man tribe. A speed of 6.2 on manhunters is fun

b0rsuk

Since when can alphabeavers eat normal food ??

milon

Shurp

<foodType>DendrovoreAnimal</foodType>

Hmmm, no further detail available in the mods.  Thrumbos carry this but also VegetarianRoughAnimal.  So you can feed your pet thrumbos trees if you don't want to waste food on them.

If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Spectre

From what I gathered Alpha beavers get hungry seriously quickly, which allows them to destroy forests quickly as they pretty much eat a tree then move on to the next one. Bucky, was hanging out in the freezer when I last checked up on him and when I got the starvation alert for my colonists he'd moved outside of the freezer and started on the trees. Use Prepare Carefully and check it out for youself, they're ravenous.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

NeverPire

I have already tamed some alphabeavers, they can eat kibbles, vegetables, trees but not meals.
However, they can eat prepared food created by advanced mods.
They become hungry so fast that they can't sleep one night without starving, which induce an impossiblity to keep a female aphabeaver pregnant.
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

dv

Limdood

Alphabeavers, boomalopes, and boomrats all need some tweaks, as currently, there's no way they could EXIST.

No ecosystem could ever support the hunger of alphabeavers (and they literally starve at night, ending pregnancies, and so can literally never reproduce)

A single boomrat or boomalope death can ravage an entire...well, as far as the fire can spread before it rains.  Sure predators don't hunt them, but they couldn't evolve when an accidental death (or old age) would literally wipe out an entire forest and thus their own food supply.  By necessity they would turn any planet they evolved on into a lifeless husk eventually

Seeker89

I thought boomrats and boomalopes were gmos

Limdood

they'd still turn any world where they roamed wild into a burnt husk in a couple years.