3D Rimworld

Started by megaPerson, July 06, 2021, 08:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

megaPerson

I know of a few other games who've tried to make their own version of this, to varying degrees of success. Still, nothing I've played matches the depth and possibility of Rimworld. I've been toying with an idea to make a mod that can render a 3d representation of Rimworld based entirely on the 2d game (ie. no actual calculations are being performed in the 3d space.). From what I can tell, RW is a very CPU intensive game (depending on how many pawns you have active at once) but barely used the gpu at all, which should make this very doable without requiring the player to possess a quantum CPU. That said, I'm far from an expert programmer (semi-professional) so I thought I'd share my idea with you fine folks.

Here's a short GDD
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p0hFQPhi1nfnRxyz4oMh2CUv4C4y95nq1vxPye-DPxU/edit?usp=sharing

I'm interested in thoughts and ideas, and if anyone wants to help make this happen I'm happy to lend my skills (as I said, I'm a functional programmer) but most of the work here will be in 3d modeling.

Dyderich

Oh a Rimworld 2.0 would be pretty cool to see this game in 3D....hell even isometric like UO or Diabloesque.