Self imposed restrictions

Started by todofwar, November 11, 2013, 03:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

todofwar

The Town is less a restriction and more a good idea, really. Without turrets raids ramp up very slowly, spacing the buildings apart means fire is never really an issue, and the buildings provide great cover. Granted, I have been strategic with where I put my doorways, but aside from that this is a great way to play. I did lose everyone a couple times, but now that everyone is packing heat the town defends itself very well.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Xanting

depending on which direction raiders are coming from doorways are a great place to put defenders.

todofwar

The Fortress

Build a medieval castle, with square "towers" at the corners of you base. Outer walls have to be distinguished either by being double thick or by being two walls with a path in between. Digging into a mountain is ok, so long as the fort gets built. Turrets can only be placed in towers (not sure about this rule), but towers of course don't have to be walled off. I imagine the biggest problem will be fires.

Pendryn

Quote from: Xanting on November 17, 2013, 05:27:03 AM
depending on which direction raiders are coming from doorways are a great place to put defenders.

Well, depending on whether or not you are trying to make things challenging or not, you could always build your entry points towards the town square.
Reticulating all the splines.

Calistyn

Quote from: DeltaV on November 16, 2013, 08:03:32 PM
Someone should try a game where the only thing they can use as cover for their colonists is the natural debris that spawns. No blasting charges, no turrets, no moving them around.

I've done this, assuming you mean not moving around the debris, as opposed to not moving around the colonists. It's great fun!

I don't even bother with turrets, blasting charges or sandbags anymore. Saves me on metal and makes the games a lot more interesting.

todofwar

Quote from: todofwar on November 17, 2013, 12:34:51 PM
The Fortress

Build a medieval castle, with square "towers" at the corners of you base. Outer walls have to be distinguished either by being double thick or by being two walls with a path in between. Digging into a mountain is ok, so long as the fort gets built. Turrets can only be placed in towers (not sure about this rule), but towers of course don't have to be walled off. I imagine the biggest problem will be fires.

This is much harder than I thought, mostly due to the uselessness of walls in a fight. Going to try again with the higher wall health mod, see if that helps.