New colony challenge?

Started by Demoulius, May 02, 2019, 04:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demoulius

Hey all,

Ive almost completed my current playthough of 1.0. A classic crashlanded scenario in a temperate forest with a pretty mild winter. The colony was next to a river and had very few mountains to drill. I recorded the progress through a youtube series and up to episode 50. Starting to construct the ship to fly away and end the colony. Added a picture of the colony as it stands right now :)

Im looking to start another game and am looking for a new challenge with it. I already played a 2nd colony 'off camera' in a mountainous rain forest with a lost tribe and dident think it was all that challenging to be honest. The lack of winter and climate control was kinda..... boring. As soon as research picked up and some minor defenses were setup, the challenge was gone.

Im curious, what do you guys think would be a nice scenario for a challenge? And I dont mean the odds stacked against you challenge. Like the naked crashlanded scenario. Just a nice challenge. Where I have to think about climate control at the very least, but preferably with other challenges as well.

Im leaning towards desert or tundra myself. But would like some input from you lads and ladies over here :)

[attachment deleted due to age]

The Muffalo Man

do a challenge where a raid happens every day

Demoulius

When I use the word challenge, I mean 'just a challenge'. I dont mean impossible to play  ;)

The Muffalo Man

usually when i get raids my guys have power armor and charge rifles and the raider is a dude with a club, it's not really that hard

Demoulius

You start the game with power armour and charge rifles?

tsmt1001

Desert can be challenging. No trees, few animals and mostly sand.

Kirby23590

How about installing a mod called Dire Raids?

It Adds More raiders, They are more deadly especially in numbers, Appears in larger groups or in sizes of an army, they might mostly trash or destroy your colony...

> : )

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Canute

If you like forest maybe you should try TropiCKAPP Rainforest Mod :-)

The next step into difficult would made a colony in a desert.
You still can grow stuff there, but you need to manage it better and a better temperature control in case of heat waves. And since of lack of many wood you can't just place passive cooler overall.

Then some Ice Biome, you can't grow stuff outside anymore. But you still find stuff to mine and animals.

And the ultimate challenge Sea Ice biome. You have nothing except the stuff you start. It is a race to manage to research and buildup a hydroponic farm before you starve to dead.

Ofcourse you can try out to setup a mountainous base. It got it own flair with the danger of insects.

You can edit the scenario a bit, maybe add repeating daily/weekly raids or daily meteore impacts.

And once you try out this all, look deeper into mods. Play with a new alien race or maybe as vampire.

Skryabin

It would be interesting to start a game with Prepare Carefully mod and make it one family colony. Like husband and wife, her sister with her husband and child and then accept new pawns only if they get merried with family members. May take a long time but it would be interesting to see where it goes...

Canute

Then don't forget Hospitality mod, then you get the option to recruit some visitor who maybe fall in love with one of your pawns ! :-)

Demoulius

Which one would be more difficult? A Tundra biome or a desert biome?

I think both offer their own sets of challenges with regards to temperature management but I wonder which other challenges they offer aside from that?

Kirby23590

Tundras...

Easy to build large freezers and heaters... However extremely snowy means slower movement speed in winters...

Deserts kinda hot and hard to build freezers, but is more in the moderate difficulty side of things... How about extreme deserts, eh?
(Not much of hunting animals, More sand and less stuff to grow and more potatoes.) ;)

Demoulius

Thanks for the feedback :)

Tundras are harder then deserts?

Why is that? Wouldnt the desert be more difficult because of a lack of easy building materials like wood? Isent cooling down harder then staying warm? Especially with a lack of easy acces to wood?

As I understand it both biomes have difficulty with growing zones. The desert because of large amounts of sand and little fertile ground and the tundra because of the temperatures. Basicly forcing you to make all growing zones in greenhouses, which is a terribly expensive and power hungry way to grow veggies.

Or am I missing something?  :o

Kirby23590

Yes you can build indoor greenhouses in Tundras... However your guys are forced to wear parkas all day when temperatures drop to -30 and caravaning in them is harder. Since your guys in the caravans in quests are freezing to death without them and they are slower even with roads...

However Deserts i planted potatoes all day long there, even with less growing zones...

You can have a lot of food in Tundras yes, but Deserts aren't so bad when you have built a nutrient paste dispenser... With surplus amounts of Potaotes in the freezer or veggies...

Also nutrient paste dispensers are underrated in those biomes including in tundras or in sea ice... :P

eugeneb

I've played both cold and hot biomes and for a challenge I usually go with hot, usually extreme desert: few animals (you have a real chance of starving), it's difficult to keep food, very little building material, heat waves. While cold can be challenging too, I usually play those biomes for aesthetics because I love snow IRL. I think the largest thing that makes cold easy is because, while getting food is hard, keeping it is super easy because entire map is one big freezer. Also enemies are slowed by snow and you have more time to shoot them on approach. Also you get healroot growing in the wild. I am not talking about things like ice sheet of course, that is the whole different level of challenge.

My current playthrough on naked brutality in extreme desert has been the most intense so far: it's the first time I had to resolve to cannibalism and for more that a year I was kept on my toes because an infection from any random scratch would kill me. Now that I have a couple allies, it's slightly better and I managed to purchase some medicine but it's still very much a challenge and I have to carefully ration it. In cold biome, you can just go out and gather some wild healroot. There is also no emergency fallback plan for temperature events. On cold map, you can try to hide around geyser. On hot map, you'll be scavenging the map for every single cactus and disassembling doors and pre-made bridges to get enough material for a primitive cooler to survive that early heatwave.