Ruins and story

Started by Simon, September 24, 2014, 05:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

In rimwirld the ruins can often be useful As structures to hide behind or use in buildings but I feel they should have a bigger story of an ancient race from which the different faction broke away from

The ruins should also contain random items:
*research papers for speeding up research
*deseases that affect the colonists
*advanced weapons
*mechanoids or enemy turrets to protect the ruins
*the technology to manufacture medicine
Traps

litlbear

yes

Mystic

Quote from: litlbear on September 24, 2014, 06:45:47 PM
No aliens.

I agree entirely.  I love the Firefly vibe of the game, and really wouldn't want to see it morph into Star Wars.

BetaSpectre

I personally don't care about aliens BUT!

Tynan doesn't like aliens and so do most people on the forums.

Any "Aliens" are humans or mutant humans.

That said I'd like to see ruins being something like a husk of an old colony.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Johnny Masters

bleah... Sure i guess i understand the lack of civilized life forms, but what about monster-type of aliens? xenomorphs, arachnids, bioraptors, blobs, sandworms, slithers... ?

Sure there must be some local fauna unlike those of terran origin?

One day mecha/raider ball of death will become boring and that day is the day we need monster aliens!

Cpt.Fupa

Quote from: Simon on September 24, 2014, 05:07:16 PM
In rimwirld the ruins can often be useful As structures to hide behind or use in buildings but I feel they should have a bigger story of an ancient race from which the different faction broke away from

The ruins should also contain random items:
*research papers for speeding up research
*deseases that affect the colonists
*advanced weapons
*mechanoids or enemy turrets to protect the ruins
*the technology to manufacture medicine
Traps

I think traps mechanoids and advanced weapons would either give you a fair of unfair advantage when you first land, have you ever tryed to fight off a mech with a lee enfield and 2 pistols? I think not!

But i do like the idea like maybe later in the game a explosion can happen and a bunch of mechs could pop out or somthing.

keylocke

Quote from: Anarak on September 25, 2014, 03:47:54 AM
bleah... Sure i guess i understand the lack of civilized life forms, but what about monster-type of aliens? xenomorphs, arachnids, bioraptors, blobs, sandworms, slithers... ?

wait, are muffalos aliens? i've read somewhere that a boomrat was developed as a biological weapon in a war or something. but i'm not sure about the muffalo.

also, why do we have earth-like flora and fauna thriving in rimworld? how did they get there? and if some colony brought them there, what happened to the local flora and fauna?

some stuff don't make sense yet.

C. Fenderson

Quote from: keylocke on September 26, 2014, 12:09:51 AM

wait, are muffalos aliens? i've read somewhere that a boomrat was developed as a biological weapon in a war or something. but i'm not sure about the muffalo.

also, why do we have earth-like flora and fauna thriving in rimworld? how did they get there? and if some colony brought them there, what happened to the local flora and fauna?

some stuff don't make sense yet.
Cut from the source code:
"A large herding herbivore descended from buffalo and adapted for some exotic environment. Peaceful unless disturbed."
That's a muffalo.
Either way, I agree that it'd be cool to kind of have ruins as the remains of people who 'beat the game' before you did.

keylocke

ah, my bad. i must've forgotten about that. lol.

but what about squirrels (deers, etc) ?

after thousands of years, it's a bit strange not to see advances in evolution, especially now that they're no longer on earth. (since the game is set in a future timeline.)

it's also strange not to find actual life forms (even primitive ones) that evolved in these habitable planets.

C. Fenderson

Quote from: keylocke on September 26, 2014, 07:09:11 AM

after thousands of years, it's a bit strange not to see advances in evolution, especially now that they're no longer on earth. (since the game is set in a future timeline.)

it's also strange not to find actual life forms (even primitive ones) that evolved in these habitable planets.
Obviously, they are the pinnacle of evolution, and therefore cannot be changed.

JimmyAgnt007

mechanoids arnt aliens?  i see the galaxy as the ruins of a human empire, glitterworlds were the core systems and the rimworlds as the frontier.  there is a race slot in a persons profile, so if there wont be aliens i can see different forms of humans popping up.  like humans who get their carbon replaced with silicone, uplifted apes or other animals, androids, undead? lol, people under the control of parasites even.  just to add some flavor and hint that that the past empire might have given its R&D people a bit to high of a budget. 

Matthiasagreen

One day mecha/raider ball of death will become boring and that day is the day we need monster aliens!

If I am not mistaken, there are many planets that are terraformed (in case you aren't familiar, humans go to a non-livable planet and pretty much revamp the atmosphere and make-up of the planet to become livable). If this is the case, it make perfect sense why there are earthlike plants and animals on a strange planet.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Johnny Masters

I'm aware of what terraforming is, but there would probably be vestige fauna or evolution ramifications. It all depends on how the terraforming is done and what stage it is i guess.

Anyway, we already have exploding ratsObviously, they are the pinnacle of evolution, and therefore cannot be changed.

Quote from: C. Fenderson on September 26, 2014, 07:23:37 AM
Quote from: keylocke on September 26, 2014, 07:09:11 AM

Wrong, their eyes don't shoot lasers yet

C. Fenderson

Quote from: Anarak on September 26, 2014, 07:57:16 PM
Quote from: C. Fenderson on September 26, 2014, 07:23:37 AM
Wrong, their eyes don't shoot lasers yet
How do we know this conclusively?  What if they just know how powerful their eyes are and don't want to make the game unfair to us?  How do we know that every squirrel, deer, etc aren't the most meta of all the meta, and are just trying to let us have fun in their world?
I'll stop now before I jump headfirst into the light on the crazytrain.

Rahjital

Well, pretty much all alien life in fiction is at least partially terrestrial anyway, look at all those humanoids, bugs, lizards and such that you can see everywhere. Just relabel the word "alien" as "genetically-engineered hybrid" and you can have your xenomorphs. Hell, Tynan himself said you could see stuff more exotic than anything you see in Star Trek, which is pretty telling on its own.

As for evolution, a few thousand year is not nearly enough for any significant evolutionary changes to happen unless there is a mass extinction on the way. Speaking of which, a planetary catastrophe would be pretty fun to play on its own.

I'm pretty positive proper ruins with artifacts of immense power are supposed to appear, though. It would be fun if they were semi-randomly generated and permanent - if a raider fraction managed to destroy a colony with an ancient subgluon hypercannon and then wielded it in a raid against the next colony, it would be both quite a situation and an awesome story element.