Cryo Tactics

Started by JimmyAgnt007, February 19, 2015, 09:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyAgnt007

So, just wondering what other people do when they open those mystery rooms with the pods. 

I had JUST started a new game, A9, and saw two rooms fogged out in the side of a mountain.  I send someone to take out a wall piece and get the foreboding message.  I open it anyways and BAM a Centipede and Scyther.  What do I do?  I open the pods, out pop some hostile people with guns.  I let them fight it out and finish off the mechs once they were finished with those poor sods.  Now I got a big room to build in.  The cost?  One lost a hand, another lost an arm and toe.  Gotta save up for some bionics now.

HattoriHanzo

Sometimes i capture a wounded tribesman with shity skills and try to cinvince him to fight for my people just to sacrifice him to the cryo-gods.

First cryo i opened was with my bad-ass soldier (19 shooting) with power armor, power helmet and a machine gun. He died in less than a second^^
Learned a lesson: never open cryos with pawns you'll need!

Listy

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on February 19, 2015, 09:10:27 AM
So, just wondering what other people do when they open those mystery rooms with the pods. 

I had JUST started a new game, A9, and saw two rooms fogged out in the side of a mountain.  I send someone to take out a wall piece and get the foreboding message.  I open it anyways and BAM a Centipede and Scyther.  What do I do?  I open the pods, out pop some hostile people with guns.  I let them fight it out and finish off the mechs once they were finished with those poor sods.  Now I got a big room to build in.  The cost?  One lost a hand, another lost an arm and toe.  Gotta save up for some bionics now.

Often the people who come out of pods have Bionics, and you can remove them from dead people.

And if you'd not thought of it build a Gun turret right next to the pods using point. enemy comes out of the pod next to the gun turret turns and attacks and blows himself up.

JimmyAgnt007

damn, didnt check for bionics before i sold them as slaves.  I dont recall seeing any on their health page but I wasnt looking for that.  I do have some in the gravesite. 

Oh Ive thought about turrets.  Just didnt have power or anything else built when i did it this time.  Im just curious about how others deal with it for fun and if they have good stories lol

Darth Fool

If you get a sense of foreboding on approaching the wall, that means that there are mechs inside.  Opening the cryo containers is best done by force shooting at one of the containers from outside the room...gives you time to run away.  I tend to use these rooms as a means of reinforcement when a large assault squad attacks.  I'll release what is inside and then lead them on a merry chase to whoever is attacking me. 

JimmyAgnt007

I got the sense of foreboding for a room with no mechs, opened the pods and found wounded non hostiles.

Vexare

If the crypto room has a lot of pods (5 or more) I tend to just block off the openings so there's no accidentals until I have enough man-power to handle it or send in a decoy to open and run back to the base where turrets and better defenses can handle it.

One amusing side effect of blocking off entrances to these rooms far from your base is that sometimes invading pirates will attack the blocked off walls instead of your base and if they break through and somehow trigger the pods, THEY get to deal with them. I only had that happen once but it was beautiful.

As others have said, if this is inside your mountain, just build some turrets and defensive walls and try to thin them out (long tunnels help) or even build a tunnel away from the main base and herd them that way with a decoy.

I also always use a cannon-fodder character to do the opening just in case it's a total massacre. Never send in your best guys haha.

I've never had one with mechanoids or other nasties inside, just angry humans bent on killing us.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Listy on February 19, 2015, 09:44:15 AM
Often the people who come out of pods have Bionics, and you can remove them from dead people.

This was a bug in earlier builds and has been rectified, There was a reason somewhere, just gotta search for it.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Rock5

I think I read somewhere that you can no longer remove bionics from the dead, which is a shame, and that the temples are sealed.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport