Please fix the prioritize task

Started by narf03, December 29, 2015, 12:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

narf03

When i give an instruction to a colonist to do something, like build a turret, he SHOULD keep doing it until the turret is complete, not attempt to walk away and perform other tasks. The colonist most likely has the lowest priority in construction, while all other tasks are having higher priority, he/she will simply fetch some building material to the site, then walk away, i give instruction again, it again fetch another batch of material then walk away again, even its building, it might just walk away again. please fix this.

Shabazza

Totally ++++1.
When I order a colonist to finish a power cable, I want him to build the whole cable and not just do 1 prep step and then forget about it.

As long as the needed preferences are given (material for the most part), the colonist should work till the task is finished.
Only if the order is unfullfillable without switching to a non-related task (eg. something other than hauling), he should return to his normal
tasks.
It's still ok if he aborts the action when no more material is available via hauling.
But it would still be cool if he would resume this manually given task as soon as the preferences are again available.
(e.g. another colonist has mined some more steel which is now available for hauling)

Some extension to this:
Things that obviously are part of a joined task should be executed as a single big task.
Like building a wall with x elements or a power cable of certain length.

Toggle

You just have to make it a higher priority then the other task.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

TLHeart

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on December 30, 2015, 03:28:35 PM

he is talking about when you right click to force a job, and they don't finish it...

Actually has been a bug in mantis since, alpha 8.

Shurp

This is a "WAD".  When you right click to force a task, he will do just that task, and then when complete do the next item of highest priority.  The trouble is that building something is not one task but several tasks -- X repeats of hauling material, then actually building it.  Right clicking him will force him once to carry 75 units to the job and then he'll go do something else.

If you want him to finish the job, set his Construction priority to 1, then right click to force him to that activity (interrupting whatever he was doing).  Also make sure he's not scheduled to Sleep or Joy.  (Better yet, schedule him to Work just to be safe)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Toggle

Quote from: TLHeart on December 30, 2015, 03:37:28 PM
Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on December 30, 2015, 03:28:35 PM

he is talking about when you right click to force a job, and they don't finish it...

Actually has been a bug in mantis since, alpha 8.

Ah, yeah was kind of hard to read original post.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Shabazza

Quote from: Shurp on December 30, 2015, 09:01:11 PM
If you want him to finish the job, set his Construction priority to 1, then right click to force him to that activity (interrupting whatever he was doing).  Also make sure he's not scheduled to Sleep or Joy.  (Better yet, schedule him to Work just to be safe)

Thing is, we know the cause and we know the workaround.
It's just that the game becomes a bit annoying when you try to force a task without messing with the base priorities
(which you don't want in that case. Otherwise we would not need the "force..." option at all).

A solution would be to make something like "compound tasks" where it's clear. Like building/repairing power lines or walls.
So you don't have to force a pawn 25 times to fix a cable that has been damaged at multiple spots or to build a complete wall to create a room asap.

TLHeart

Quote from: Shabazza on January 01, 2016, 03:24:00 PM
Quote from: Shurp on December 30, 2015, 09:01:11 PM

Thing is, we know the cause and we know the workaround.
It's just that the game becomes a bit annoying when you try to force a task without messing with the base priorities
(which you don't want in that case. Otherwise we would not need the "force..." option at all).

A solution would be to make something like "compound tasks" where it's clear. Like building/repairing power lines or walls.
So you don't have to force a pawn 25 times to fix a cable that has been damaged at multiple spots or to build a complete wall to create a room asap.

It has been a bug since alpha 8, and tynan has not figured out a way to fix it, that does NOT screw up everything else.

Griffith

Sorry to Hijack, but is there a way to prioritize hauling? Im relatively new, played it on my friends computer and the only thing stopping me from buying is that my guys dont haul items that are on the ground. :(

Coenmcj

Quote from: Griffith on January 08, 2016, 04:32:43 AM
Sorry to Hijack, but is there a way to prioritize hauling? Im relatively new, played it on my friends computer and the only thing stopping me from buying is that my guys don't haul items that are on the ground. :(
No worries!
You can go to your work tab in the bottom left to assign priorities, clicking the cross in the top of that pane will allow finer control over them. Assigning a Value of 1 is the highest it can be, and so any priority such as a 2 or 3 will be done after a '1' Priority.

Or if you want to force a colonist to work on a specific piece of stuff. You can left click a colonist to select them, then right click the thing you want to haul and select "prioritize hauling" assuming of course you have an empty stockpile for it to be hauled to.
We've all got to start somewhere. :)

[attachment deleted due to age]
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

ison

Quote from: narf03 on December 29, 2015, 12:48:50 PM
When i give an instruction to a colonist to do something, like build a turret, he SHOULD keep doing it until the turret is complete, not attempt to walk away and perform other tasks. The colonist most likely has the lowest priority in construction, while all other tasks are having higher priority, he/she will simply fetch some building material to the site, then walk away, i give instruction again, it again fetch another batch of material then walk away again, even its building, it might just walk away again. please fix this.

I think you're right, though it can be quite tricky to fix because it involves prioritizing multiple jobs at once.

Britnoth

Is it possible to prioritise forced work on a square instead rather than just that single job, then keep that work prioritised for that pawn until there is no work possible to complete on that square?

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog