Psychotic Breaks

Started by Frankenbeasley, May 09, 2015, 12:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenbeasley

Eventually, I would like to see breakdowns have more interesting, and possibly more challenging, symptoms. Unfortunately, my colonists are generally not too unstable, so I only ever seem to get them wandering, bingeing, or, in the case of prisoner fails, going berserk. However, I think there is room for some occasional 'special' psychoses. For instance:

A colonist who goes through a cathartic experience might, in a small number of cases, get a permanent low-level increase to their artistic skill - or a massive temporary skill-boost or a temporary halving of their ability if they are normally very artistic.

A colonist might develop an obsession with only eating raw food, say, for a couple of weeks or, even worse, only one type of raw food (usually whatever you could grow but aren't).

A colonist might develop a  week-long, burning hatred for one species of animal and insist on melee attacking any they see during that time or, for real high stakes, might do the same with members of your friendliest neighbouring faction.

A colonist might temporarily 'defect' to the Mechanoid cause the next time they feel the psychic drone of a crashed ship-part.

A colonist might insist on wearing no clothes for a week and sleeping outside - which could be a real problem in the tundra.

I just think that, with a limited number of colonists, mental health could have a much more interesting role in providing minor, but not normally colony-threatening, challenges between raids.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.  - Douglas Adams