[W: 0.2.363 Alpha 2] Harvesting setting kills plants

Started by Howeln, March 01, 2014, 06:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howeln

Version Found - alpha 2, windows.   Windows 8

Title - When selected plant for harvesting, the colonists takes down the whole plant

Summary - Selecting a plant for harvesting in orders menu (rather than cutting plant), requires 100% grown and when harvested the plant is destroyed.

Steps to Reproduce -
1. start new game
2. Select a fully grown wild food plant to be harvested (aloe, berry bush)
3. Colonist harvests plant
4. plant is now gone.
*** Note, same as right clicking to harvest plant.

Expected Results - while I could see why manually selecting a plant to be harvested (right click) might kill the plant, the order "harvest" which says it will not kill the plant, does.  Also, I would expect to be able to select the plant regardless of growth.  I would also expect potato and other plants in my gardens to die after harvesting...call them one use plants.  The wild plants I would think could be harvested forever...after they regrow.  Maybe the difference being harvesting to leave the plant alive produces less food, right click to harvest takes the whole plant....but produces more food.

Actual Results - Plant is lost.

Howeln

I should note, I cleared off one plant, and many in an area, and none regrow back, other than the plant that was not "harvested"  If left alone, others will eventually, over a long period of time, grow near them.  I had a large aloe area, that helped in the beginning for food, but never saw it grow back.

I would expect that some subplant would be left behind.

oniryuuko

Non-potato food types are new in Alpha 2 (although the berry bushes and agave existed before then), and as such aren't properly refined yet. It's possible that Ludeon will make bushes and agave plants persistent through harvesting, but the harvest command was originally designed around potatoes, and only potatoes, which are destroyed upon harvest. Give it a couple version, Rimworld might have the persistent plants it should, but as of Alpha 2, this isn't a bug, simply how the game is programmed.

ItchyFlea

@oniryuuko: This is a bug, non-growable plants, such as strawberry bushes and agave plants would stick around after being harvested in previous versions.

@howeln: Thanks for reporting. This has already been reported on the bugtracker: http://ludeon.com/mantis/view.php?id=451
I have made a bugfix mod and posted it here: http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2468.0
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Thunder Rahja

I think you meant to say raspberry bushes.

If you ask me, strawberry plants shouldn't have to be replanted after harvesting either, as colonists are removing berries from the plant, not its roots like they would for a potato. For everyone else, the tag <destroyOnHarvest> set to false will do it, as the default seems to be "true".