Gut Worms

Started by Jorlem, April 13, 2016, 01:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jorlem

One of my colonists randomly contracted gut worms.  It makes him get hungry twice as fast, and he needs treatment every day, though there is no immunity counter so it just eats up my meds.  Is there any way of curing him, if only to get the dire "colonist needs treatment" alert to stop popping up (and desensitizing me for when it is actually important?

The only seemingly relevant surgery is to amputate his stomach, somehow.

makapse

just wait it out. It will cure itself after around 10 or so healing. But its random and non life threatening so dont look at it as too serious a thing but just a modifier that needs regular healing and will go away when u dont expect it to.

NephilimNexus

"Gut worms" is just Rimworld's way of saying "Tapeworms," and just as in real life prevention is easy - don't eat uncooked meat.

Jorlem

Ok, thank you.  There's no indication that it would ever go away, so I was getting frustrated.

Rahjital

One thing to note: a skilled doctor can treat any disease without medicine, but gut worms, muscle parasites, and possibly other similar diseases never go away if you don't use medicine. I had a colonist have muscle parasites for three seasons without getting better, and once I enabled herbal medicine they disappeared in a week.

By the way, are gut worms really related to eating uncooked meat or are they random like other diseases? I don't remember my colonists ever eating any, there's always a big supply of fine meals ready for emergencies.

Shurp

Random.  Or in other words, timed to be most annoying.  (see my previous post about 3 of 4 colonists getting different illnesses within 3 days.  They all lived, btw :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Rahjital

That's what I was afraid of. It would have been better if it was a result of poor cooking instead, as a rare alternative to food poisoning.

makapse

u dont need meds to remove the new diseases. I got parasites too and it healed in 2 seasons after being treated by my 10skill doctor without any meds at all, as i alays deny all pawns meds

Odder

Really irritating... But a fine addition to the game :)

thestalkinghead

i had two guys get muscle parasites at the same time and i thought it would last forever, but eventually they were both cured on the same day, it sucked for one guy though he already had a peg leg so he could barely feed himself let alone be productive, i would have liked more information on diseases and some feedback as to whether it was getting any better.

i also got the mechanism muscles (or something, i can't remember the name) but it was a positive disease overall, it made my guy faster walker and more productive, i am not sure if it could turn bad if i didn't treat him, but i don't want him to be cured and i want him to spread the disease.

some kind of biogenetics lab would be cool so you could save or even make diseases.

Jack Kenseng

My Masochist got Mechanites.  He enjoyed the pain of his illness plus he worked harder.  :o

hawkinator

So I tried amputating the stomach, (3 times, using a level 9 doctor) and so far every time the surgery fails, in either a minor or catastrophic way, and the stomach remains, with the gut worms intact, any ideas?