New Combat Features & Weapons

Started by AHappyMuffalo, July 26, 2016, 07:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHappyMuffalo

Rimworld is a very fun game and the combat is adrenaline pumping, but there is a lack of combat content. Here are a bunch of ideas I've been thinking about for a while now.

---------------------------------------------- Clips in Weaponry & Firing Settings

At the moment, guns basically have infinite ammo. I'm not saying the developers should add in ammo as a resource to manage (please don't that would just be too hard) but instead guns should use clips. Clips should be appropriate for the weapon - 30 bullets(ish) in assault rifles, 12 or so bullets in a pistol and maybe 16 in a hunting rifle.

Instead of the traditional automatic weapon being fired in small bursts, the player should be able to toggle what firing mode a colonist should use with their weapon.

Burst fire, what we're all used to, is firing a few shots every few seconds. - Less accurate then semi-automatic

Automatic will have the colonist fire continuously at enemies until they move into cover. Colonists will reload when they run out of ammo or loose sight of enemies, or the player can force them to reload. - Least accurate

Semi-automatic is firing one shot at a time. - Most accurate

---------------------------------------------- Suppressing Fire

Suppressing Fire enables colonists and raiders to continuously fire at an enemy in cover. This will prevent enemies from moving out of cover to fire, but does not stop them from aiming at targets parallel to their cover. When faced by suppressing fire, a colonist or raider has a small chance of loosing hearing temporarily and decreased accuracy.

I feel this idea could change the way people play Rimworld drastically. It could allow players to change the way they fight against threats to their colonies - one colonist suppresses a target, and another can move up with grenades to flush the target out of their cover.

---------------------------------------------- New Grenades

Gas Grenades is toxic gas compressed into a fragile canister. The gas causes internal bleeding to its victims. Colonists and raiders can counter this by wearing Gas Masks. After inhaling the gas, a colonist will experience 150% blood loss a day and this can only be stopped through medicine - no home remedies can fix them.

Shock Grenades deliver a lethal shock to colonists or raiders in a 5 block radius. When electrocuted, a colonist or raider will stop for 3 seconds and will be unable to do anything. There is a very small chance that they will acquire a brain-related illness such as alzheimers or even be paralysed for a few days or even the rest of their lives.

Saw Grenades are crude grenades put together by recycled materials. Old cans used as the body of the grenade loaded with deadly spikes. The spikes spread out in a 6 metre radius and cuts colonists or raiders. Poisoned Saw Grenades is a special version of the Saw Grenade in that the deadly spikes have been coated in a skin-burning fluid.

Provided that the colony has an artillery piece that is being manned, Artillery Markers can be used by colonists colonists to designate a location to provide a sustained bombardment of artillery in a short time. When thrown, the marker removes the wait times on artillery. The marker will burn out after 10 seconds.

---------------------------------------------- Personal Turrets

Built by high tech colonies, Personal Turrets can be carried by colonists or raiders if they're willing to sacrifice 0.50c/s of walk speed. Powered by a built in battery that allows it to last for one minute, the Personal Turret can turn the tide of a battle if acted quickly enough. It takes 5 seconds for a colonist to deploy.

The turret has a single gun that fires 2 round bursts every second and each bullet deals 5 DPS.

Boston

Combat Realism had most of all that. The game is drastically reduced without it, in my opinion. 

Ribas

Quote from: Boston on July 26, 2016, 08:00:10 PM
Combat Realism had most of all that. The game is drastically reduced without it, in my opinion.

I believe he wants these functions in the core/vanilla game.

ToXeye

Quote from: Ribas on July 27, 2016, 01:29:42 PM
I believe he wants these functions in the core/vanilla game.

Indeed, even if it's just a mod to Tynan, it could possibly remain a mod if the game comes with it. Such as by making it an "official" mod and adopting it. Then the distribution model for mods would be a problem, since it can come either with the main game, from mods download sites, or steam workshop. That's why mods aren't included, because they require work and mods make the game more interesting if you find out about them yourself. But then again... it would make sense to have "featured mods".
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

9ofSpades

These are some good ideas and like Boston said Combat realism has many of these.

Unfortunately the main modder for Combat realism recently retired from modding rimworld but someone else has decided to pick it up.

I personally think it should also become part of the main game or at least a mode option in the game.

Tynan continues to change the combat slightly and adds new aspects to it but I feel that Combat realism is a great expansion to it.

The only drawback I find with Combat realism is that it shifts the balance of power over towards you, the colony, in many ways. This is due to the fact that since bullets are so much deadlier, raiders are now forced to cross basically open terrain to get to you. This gives you the opportunity to set up fixed defenses and devastate them at range.

Trust me though, raids can be deadly and very challenging; but once you become settled and more or less established the raids begin to loose their power. This is especially true with Tribal raids.

I feel it would greatly benefit the mod and the game if Tynan or the mod developer would work on the raid algorithms and work out a way to give raids more power, particularly late game.

Fafn1r

I don't think fully integrating CR would be a good idea. Tynan has stated again and again that he has limited time and can't implement every single cool feature. If a modder created a mod making combat much more complex, let's leave at that (as long as it gets updated). Players who like horrible, heavily RNG based, short range combat can enjoy that with the base game and others can install CR. All while the devs are working on a different feature.

Of course I may be wrong, if Tynan is not satisfied with vanilla combat as it is.

That being said, I think there are some combat mechanics that would be best implemented by developers, not modders. Like inventory system, suppression and concussion.

Pax_Empyrean

Obligatory: Clips and magazines are not the same thing. When people who don't know the difference say 'clips' they are wrong 99% of the time. Just say 'magazines' if you don't know what the difference is.

Now that that's out of the way: I don't want to have to deal with ammo management in any sense, and I'd rather not see my guys need more micromanagement than it takes to put them where I want them and have them shoot at the guys I want them to shoot at. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing certain effects happening passively, such as a very short duration, stacking accuracy and movement penalty when a unit almost gets hit, simulating suppression. That would be a relatively minor thing to add that could potentially have a large impact on good combat tactics.

Casazzo

I like the vanilla weapon balance. It's well balanced as it is.

If you want to totally dominte the enemys you can always install moats/trenches/additional wepaons/combatrealism mods.

But it totally changes the natural balance and makes the game much much easier.

I do not like that.