Are there mods that make the game harder?

Started by RetPaladinlol, August 13, 2016, 04:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetPaladinlol

Hello fellow rimmers, I just picked up this game two weeks ago and am really enjoying the game so far. The one gripe I have is that the enemy AI is just a little too easy. I have played and beaten the game on Cassandra and Randy Challenge. I think that Extreme is a little unfair in the sense that it doesn't really make the enemies harder, it just throws more of them at you.

I don't use kill-zones in my play through because I consider that type of play style a little too dull and predictable. If I played on Extreme I'd probably be forced to with the shear amount of raiders and I don't want to do that. I've even tried to not use turrets anymore and it's still not challenging enough.

My question is: are there any mods out there that truly make the AI behave differently and make them smarter? The current AI is easily defeated. For example even if I am outnumbered 4 to 12, I just have to wait long enough for them to separate from each other and pick them off tactically one by one. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. One raider would be attacking my group and his buddies will randomly attack a harmless wall on the other side of the base.

The type of mod I'm looking for will make the AI actually work together and not just randomly target things for no reason. It will punch holes through your defensive walls and not kill their entire team in the process like the current "Sapper" AI. It will make the enemy really think before running head first into battle with a knife against assault rifles. I can really expand on what the I think the AI should do but I think this post is long enough as is.

TLDR: Any mods that unstupidfy the AI?

Mutineer

Just play as a tribe for example. I seems can not survive, it is mach harder on low tech level.

RetPaladinlol

Quote from: Mutineer on August 13, 2016, 04:36:58 AM
Just play as a tribe for example. I seems can not survive, it is mach harder on low tech level.

I played one game in the Lost Tribe scenario. Opened up a Ancient danger wall and 5 space marines came out with assault rifes and PDW's. I killed them with my bows, arrows and spears and took all their weapons. The ensuing raids I had were from other tribals who had no chance against my modern weapons considering I defeated enemies with modern weapons with cave men tech. I got a little bored because teching up was extremely slow because of the "Neolithic" handicap for research.

keylocke

i was thinking of a handicap mod that removes oxygen from rimworld and the only way to survive is by sucking the air from the lungs of your enemies.

but then people would say : "ho! carbondioxide is exhaled by humans" and i would say : "nay, these raiders are super saiyans and they tried to steal my broccoli", and they'd say : "dude, what you said didn't even make sense and reeks of racist political incorrectness" and i'm like : "ultraviolence is so moe".

tru story.

edit : ignore me, i'm just anxious about the flooding. lels.

b0rsuk

I thought the whole point of mods was to remove threats players are unable to deal with ?

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: b0rsuk on August 13, 2016, 05:51:16 AM
I thought the whole point of mods was to remove threats players are unable to deal with ?

That sounds just sad. Might be why I do very few mods. I might try that mod introducing ammo to the game, that's the sort of mod'ed content I'm looking for. Just wish it was an own free standing mod, so you didn't need the whole combat realism mod.

RetPaladinlol

Quote from: keylocke on August 13, 2016, 05:41:33 AM
i was thinking of a handicap mod that removes oxygen from rimworld and the only way to survive is by sucking the air from the lungs of your enemies.

but then people would say : "ho! carbondioxide is exhaled by humans" and i would say : "nay, these raiders are super saiyans and they tried to steal my broccoli", and they'd say : "dude, what you said didn't even make sense and reeks of racist political incorrectness" and i'm like : "ultraviolence is so moe".

tru story.

edit : ignore me, i'm just anxious about the flooding. lels.

I have no idea what you just said but I like it!

RetPaladinlol

Quote from: Andy_Dandy on August 13, 2016, 05:57:42 AM

That sounds just sad. Might be why I do very few mods. I might try that mod introducing ammo to the game, that's the sort of mod'ed content I'm looking for. Just wish it was an own free standing mod, so you didn't need the whole combat realism mod.

For sure I agree with the whole vanilla mods thing. I never really understood some of the more overpowered mods like the Embrasures one. It just breaks the entire game having a wall to stand behind to shoot from. Enemies are pathetically simple minded as it is.

Michigo

Considering the scope of the current game the AI is already pretty impressive.
I think the best solution at hand to make the game harder is to modify your scenario.

For example:
1. Start with a bunch of giant gold stutues, that should kickstart the "enemy-production" pretty fast.
2. Don't use weapons with high range, and change the global melee damage to 200%.
3. Play on a small map, less time to prep against raids and less room for kiting.
4. Build your base out in the open without any mountains in sight.
5. ...

The current game isn't easy, but after a while players figure ways out to beat it.
The trick is to handycap yourself just about enough to start losing colonists, but not to much to "ensure" a total wiped.

chaotix14

Quote from: RetPaladinlol on August 13, 2016, 06:19:27 AM

For sure I agree with the whole vanilla mods thing. I never really understood some of the more overpowered mods like the Embrasures one. It just breaks the entire game having a wall to stand behind to shoot from. Enemies are pathetically simple minded as it is.

It really depends on your playstyle and what the storyteller throws at you. Individual events are unlikely to end the game for you, if managed properly. A chain of events piling into a moment of perfect disaster is much more likely to end the game. And with the scenario editor you can create a game that's a lot harder.

But back to the original topic, yes there are mods that increase the difficulty, they are few and far between, but they exist. Tougher mechanoids for example, which takes the mechanoids back to their scarier pre alpha 14 state(they are pretty laughable in this alpha) and then gives them some extra. Rimsenal Though primairily a gun mod also has sub mods that you can use to add 2 pretty dangerous factions and can add 3 storytellers that each have their own idea of creating drama. Crash Landing Is another gem, it makes the crash landing start a whole heck of a lot more spectacular(it also adds random events where ship parts come flying out of the sky during the game), while you may come out of the event better than the vanilla one the opposite is about as likely if not more likely.
Beyond those there are other challenge mods hiding between the other mods, and then there are also some mods and one modpack(you want a hard rimworld experience try the hardcore SK modpack once it updates) that haven't been updated yet.

Aristocat

Quote from: Michigo on August 13, 2016, 10:31:42 AM

For example:
1. Start with a bunch of giant gold stutues, that should kickstart the "enemy-production" pretty fast.
2. Don't use weapons with high range, and change the global melee damage to 200%.
3. Play on a small map, less time to prep against raids and less room for kiting.
4. Build your base out in the open without any mountains in sight.
5. ...
6. Craft a legendary long sword.
7. One hit kill everything.

Might as well add cooldown time reduction 75%. Mechs can be stunned, humans and bugs won't even able to hit before die. Only problems would be the vanilla game has no way to replace limbs.

Codexehow

Quote from: b0rsuk on August 13, 2016, 05:51:16 AM

They can shoot you too. It goes both ways. All it does is give you a chance to dodge behind cover without having to stand in front of a derpy sand bag.

IDK about other people, but I compensate for the mods I use by playing only Randy Random Rough or higher.

Michigo

Quote from: Aristocat on August 13, 2016, 11:16:35 AM
Only problems would be the vanilla game has no way to replace limbs.

It does have bionics...

Another idea:
Force every non-colonist to have the jogger trait, speedy enemies are much tougher.  ;D