Mountaineers or Landbuilders?

Started by Arkay_The_Arcane, June 04, 2017, 12:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you tend to build your base inside of a mountain, build it on the open, or somewhere inbetween?

I build bases inside of mountains, all the time. I look for maps that allow me to do this.
9 (29%)
I build in the open. I look for maps that allow me to do this.
2 (6.5%)
I do something inbetween. I keep a part in the open, but also build some parts in the mountain, if there are any.
12 (38.7%)
It depends on the map I chose.
7 (22.6%)
Misc.
1 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Arkay_The_Arcane

I've been wondering what the most used strategy is for base building in RimWorld. Do most people take the mountains as their home, or the open fields? Make sure to argue about the ups and downs, try to convince people.

Limdood

one of the new common base designs doesn't fit any of your descriptions.  It was adopted as infestations appeared and got more difficult.  There is an even greater push towards it now that A17 made infestations harder yet again.

It is bases in mountainous regions, nestled right up against a curled mountain spur.  You don't actually mine into the mountain, just into the "thin rock roof" areas...any digging into the overhead mountain for resources gets walled up completely (not walled off).  The mountain spur provides several additional layers of "wall" and restricts raids to approaching from a single direction.  the benefits of a mountain base without the infestations, but also without siege protection, cooling ease, and smooth stone floors.

Slimy_Slider

I just turn off infestations, because they just annoy me. An unavoidable group of dangerous enemies spawning in the middle of my base? No thanks. Plus I don't know if this is intentional or not but my infestations always spawn in the same place, so after the first couple I just load up the room with turrets.

Perq

I like to try different things. Both have their pros and cons which make for interesting gameplay. :)

Variety is the spice of life

wink wink  8)
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

JimmyAgnt007

Im still working to finish my A16 mountain fortress but infestations will never stop me.  If you have 60 or so pawns, they are really the only way I can ever loose someone since nobody is getting through my killbox.  Also, I have turrets all over the place inside my mountain to give my people time to run. 

Also, the smooth stone flooring is nice but I usually put other stuff on it so its not so bland looking.  Got a nice little dance floor pattern in one of my rec rooms that doubles as the wedding hall.

My prison and vault are encased in a layer of plasteel.  I am looking forward to when I can post a picture.  Harder bugs in the new Alpha will just make things more interesting.

wafflep90

I normally go for very mountainous areas but don't usually min into them, this gives the bonus of bottlenecks so that I can defend against attackers without the need of killboxes. had a base in A15 once where all I had was a small valley snaking through the map which helped as I only had two routes of attack, made for some good battles though when more then one raid occurred from each side

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Perq on June 05, 2017, 08:45:11 AM
I like to try different things. Both have their pros and cons which make for interesting gameplay. :)

Variety is the spice of life

wink wink  8)

You're a Spice Girl or what ?

I like to build my bases in Mountain Valleys as well and prefer mountainous maps because of the visible terrain.
Lesser Maps just look boring to me, with only derelict walls some small clusters of rock there.

In A16 I still had some pretty deep mountain bases, but started to wall up mineshafts and unused open spaces in my base.
In A17 I have not progressed far enough to actually dig into the mountain.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

TheMeInTeam

I tend to make compounds on open maps.  There are some advantages to mountain bases, but these compounds have different strengths/weaknesses.