Toxic Fallout - Remove?

Started by cronicscream, September 04, 2015, 05:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLHeart

Quote from: cronicscream on September 05, 2015, 05:38:53 PM

If you carry your thought further, then after a toxic fallout the soil should be contaminated for years after and not support any life (animals included), but what fun would that be?

The original toxic fallout event did exactly that. No trees, no grass no animals, except near the edge of the map where the plants were growing back in from. And they grew back in very slowly.

Mikhail Reign

Radiation fallout doesn't really straight up kill the planet tho - look at Chernobyl, it's a wildlife reserves now. Animals that haven't been seen for years are springing back, and plants have thrived in a void that humans left. Basically man was doing more day to day damage to the environment then the radiation ever did.

chaotix14

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on September 06, 2015, 12:48:47 AM
Radiation fallout doesn't really straight up kill the planet tho - look at Chernobyl, it's a wildlife reserves now. Animals that haven't been seen for years are springing back, and plants have thrived in a void that humans left. Basically man was doing more day to day damage to the environment then the radiation ever did.

Depends on the degree of radiation fallout, if sufficient radioactive material comes to the ground basically anything living in the area will just up and die from cancer or other mutagenic disseases, not a single animal or plant is immune to this(even the famed roach will die if exposed to sufficient radiation). It also depends on the radioactive material itself, plutonium for example is toxic to nearly all known creatures and plants. Also if the entire world was exposed to the same degree as Chernobyl at it's core was, doubt there'd be much life on earth left, the fallout universe would be an extremely optimistic scenario.

But we're talking about toxic fallout and not radioactive fallout. Here we have actual lethal toxins fall from the sky. Which in a sense is a lot more dangerous than the already dangerous radiation fallout, because everything will be coated in a nice thin layer of death(instead of a thin layer of it might be cancer). You'd have to manually clean it up, hope the wind carries it to someplace where it does less harm or hope it'll degrade over time, only then will the plant and animal life that died from the event be able to return. Of course if the stuff sticks around for long enough some plants will adapt to the toxic environment and thrive there(probably), but those plants and potential animals might be as toxic as the ground itself. And if nothing survives the initial toxic wave, there'll be nothing to mutate/evolve into something that can thrive there.

akiceabear

Keep in mind that the sarcophagus that houses the Chernobyl waste will cost around USD 2 billion to replace (only a couple decades after being built) and the the estimated cost to the Belarus and Ukrainian governments of all cleanup and medical claims is around USD 400 billion. So yes, there is life there, but it took a hell of a lot of money just to case the core in concrete.

Nebbie

I really don't like the toxic fallout event because the danger and variety it adds is far outweighed by the boredom of having to keep colonists indoors most of the time and the annoyance of all the animals dying off. The fact any colony is guaranteed to eventually get it is just a further problem that reduces the benefits of having it as an event.

As for prisoner selling, I think all the mood penalties relating to prisoner treatment are completely mishandled. Leave a guy to bleed out? No penalty. Manually execute a captured prisoner with a rifle? No penalty. Execute prisoner via the menu? Penalty. Harvest organs (even if they're about to die of a guaranteed fatal infection anyways in a minute)? Penalty. Sell them to a ship that seems to just resell them to colonies like mine, where they are immediately no longer treated as slaves upon being bought? Penalty. Leave them to rot in my ugly filthy prison cell where they starve half the time and have no chance of escape except to inevitably die when my colony is hit by a hundred tribespeople? No penalty.
It's like my colonist morality is "Slavery is completely wrong no matter what, but killing and torturing people is fine so long as you don't choke them and don't steal their organs."

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: akiceabear on September 06, 2015, 07:36:22 AM
Keep in mind that the sarcophagus that houses the Chernobyl waste will cost around USD 2 billion to replace (only a couple decades after being built) and the the estimated cost to the Belarus and Ukrainian governments of all cleanup and medical claims is around USD 400 billion. So yes, there is life there, but it took a hell of a lot of money just to case the core in concrete.

Ah yes but that is more for us then anything else. There is like INSIDE the sarcophagus, in fact there is this funky little fungus that grew inside their that eats radiation - we are thinking of adapting it for space travel (it eats solar radiation, we eat it to some degree, free food). I'd also like to point out that chernoybl wasn't covered in 'a thin layer of it might be cancer', more a 'large chunks of graphite straight out of the reactor, that make your skin burn when you pick them up, and kill you in a few hours, as well as an entire cooling chambers worth of water flash covered into steam after a melted reactor core dropped into it' - there was a LOT of stuff in the air.

That all air, I completely over looked the 'toxic' instead of 'radioactive' - so what, it's like some air burst a sarion gas canister over the colony ?

NuclearStudent

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on September 06, 2015, 07:40:24 PM
Quote from: akiceabear on September 06, 2015, 07:36:22 AM

Ah yes but that is more for us then anything else. There is like INSIDE the sarcophagus, in fact there is this funky little fungus that grew inside their that eats radiation - we are thinking of adapting it for space travel (it eats solar radiation, we eat it to some degree, free food). I'd also like to point out that chernoybl wasn't covered in 'a thin layer of it might be cancer', more a 'large chunks of graphite straight out of the reactor, that make your skin burn when you pick them up, and kill you in a few hours, as well as an entire cooling chambers worth of water flash covered into steam after a melted reactor core dropped into it' - there was a LOT of stuff in the air.

That all air, I completely over looked the 'toxic' instead of 'radioactive' - so what, it's like some air burst a sarion gas canister over the colony ?

Bare in mind that the planet used to be industrialized on a HUGE scale (the devs confirmed that plasteel ore and steel ore comes form ancient buildings that fell apart.)

The toxic fallout is a dioxin-like chemical concentrating due to unknown process.

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

To be honest this really isn't a topic I care about much but I will offer one thing... MODS! -waves hands so a rainbow that has the word mods appears between them-
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

Shurp

So yes, I'm performing some thread necro here.  I just got hit by the Toxic Fallout bug... I mean, "event".  It's pretty ridiculous.  I'm not going to start my game over, so instead I'm just going to load the autosave.  I guess I should be thankful there's an autosave feature!  And I'll hack the xml and disable it on my next game.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Bob_Namg

Just build a roof over everything and use external wind farms and shit to power your base, so long as you have sufficient food you can wait out the time it takes to replant your farms and whatnot.
I've had toxic fallout derail me a couple times before, but you eventually learn how to game them.
"Hon hon hon"
-Anonymous, France

mokonasakura

I don't mind the toxic fallout event, never really had a problem with it. I do agree that mechs need to be changed though. Currently the ship is stupid, if you get it early you can deal with it if you have a sniper rifle, if not you have to throw colonists at it and watch 3 of them get shot in the heart by the extremely over powered charge lance. If you get it late you have to cheese roof collapse it or just start over because you cant kill 3+ centipedes and 5+ of the other guys with a sniper before everyone goes insane. As for the centipedes them selves they are stupid. I can get their hp down to a barely visible sliver and they still don't die 100 shots later. We need weapons that don't do crap vs humans but can 3-5 shot these things.

zandadoum

Quote from: cronicscream on September 05, 2015, 05:38:53 PM
Yes and I have done that but only having one solution to a problem makes the game one dimensional. Building the same type of base, game after game, makes the game dull, boring, and repetitive. Having other options reverses those effects.
well, there are many solutions for many other stuff in rimworld. toxic fallout is working like intended i would say.
however, and to try to agree with you at least a little bit, maybe it would be cool to be able to build or buy hazmat suits? that would give you an alternative solution. maybe there's a mod for that already?

Shurp

I could live with the "Toxic Fallout" event if a plume just poisoned part of the map.  That would actually be interesting if it happened to hit your base and you were forced to rebuild elsewhere.   But wiping out everything is far too extreme.  It's an automatic "load autosave" event as currently implemented.  Moving underground doesn't solve the problem of everything on the map dying; where are my chickens going to graze?  (Yeah, I have grass fed chickens, lol)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Shurp

Just adding to this thought -- it would be really great if the Toxic Fallout event were implemented similar to the fire mechanic.  At random intervals large piles of toxic goop land on the map.  Anything on the affected square takes damage until it dies.  But colonists with the right equipment can clean it up and eventually bring the map back to normal.

Which reminds me, when are fire extinguishers going to be added to the base game?

Zordah

Quote from: Shurp on November 06, 2015, 05:44:27 PM
So yes, I'm performing some thread necro here.  I just got hit by the Toxic Fallout bug... I mean, "event".  It's pretty ridiculous.  I'm not going to start my game over, so instead I'm just going to load the autosave.  I guess I should be thankful there's an autosave feature!  And I'll hack the xml and disable it on my next game.

Did you find a way to hack the xml to prevent this event?  I want to turn it off in my current game and I couldn't find anywhere in the XML savefile to do so :(