Quadrum Names

Started by UltimateTobi, November 26, 2018, 06:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UltimateTobi

Hello all!

I really like the idea of quadrum names as a replacement for months or even seasons (which don't make sense if you switch hemispheres).

But, one thing that bugs me is that one of the Quadrums lacks a month in its name.
Guess which it is?

We have... Jugust, which easily includes June, July and August.
Septober, which easily includes September, October and November.
Decembary, which easily includes December, January and February.
... and then we have Aprimay... which easily includes Mar-, nope, no March. Just April and May.
Sure, you could argue that the A of Aprimay is both from mArch and April, but c'mon. That's not how the other three quadrums work!
A simple change to Maprimay would do the trick. :P

Note, this is by no means a serious issue or me nitpicking in all seriousness, but it just came up when I thought about Quadrums. It kinda bugs me but then it's not a big deal.

Thoughts?
Your generic Steam user.

5thHorseman

I always thought it was September+October=Septober, one of the two July + August = Jugust, December+January=Decembary, and Aprimay=April+May. Then each Quadrum is 2 of our consecutive months, and the other 4 are just left out. The fact that you can cram the leftover month into the names on 3 of them is just a coincidence combined with how our month names have similarities.

I'm far more bothered by the fact that December is actually an Autumn month, and September is actually a summer month. Really for consistency the 4 months that split over seasons (March, June, September, and December) should be left off and the Quadrums should be Janbruary, Aprimay, Jugust, and Octovember.

(Similarly tongue in cheek but I actually have had these thoughts)
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Shurp

I really wish we would just go back to Spring / Summer / Fall / Winter.  Because "Septober" makes my head hurt.  Let's mash the Latin for 7th month and 8th month together and then apply it to the period covering the 10th through 12th months... it's broken to begin with, why do we have to break it even more?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Canute

Why does we need Spring / Summer / Fall / Winter anyway ?
Can't Rimworld just be created without seasons ? Only a few planets got them anyway.

5thHorseman

Quote from: Canute on November 27, 2018, 03:42:57 AM
Why does we need Spring / Summer / Fall / Winter anyway ?
Can't Rimworld just be created without seasons ? Only a few planets got them anyway.

Well every habitable planet we've found has them so hey.
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.

UltimateTobi

Quote from: 5thHorseman on November 26, 2018, 07:00:08 PM
I always thought it was September+October=Septober, one of the two July + August = Jugust, December+January=Decembary, and Aprimay=April+May. Then each Quadrum is 2 of our consecutive months, and the other 4 are just left out. The fact that you can cram the leftover month into the names on 3 of them is just a coincidence combined with how our month names have similarities.

I'm far more bothered by the fact that December is actually an Autumn month, and September is actually a summer month. Really for consistency the 4 months that split over seasons (March, June, September, and December) should be left off and the Quadrums should be Janbruary, Aprimay, Jugust, and Octovember.

(Similarly tongue in cheek but I actually have had these thoughts)
A quarter of a year is three months though, not two. That's why I went off the assumption that a Quadrum includes three months, not two.
Also, in what world is September a Summer month?
March, April, May = Spring
June, July, August = Summer
September, October, November = Fall
December, January, February = Winter
(Note, this applies to the Northern Hemispehere, just reverse for Southern Hemispehere.)

So, it makes sense to cram three months into one Quadrum, and it fits for every Quadrum, except for Aprimay. That's why I brought it up.
(Note that Aprimay (or Maprimay) is considered Spring, Jugust Summer, Septober Fall and Decembary Winter. So your categorization doesn't hold up.)
Your generic Steam user.

AileTheAlien

You're all objectively wrong; The correct names to mod into the game are Hothot, Hotcold, Coldcold, and Coldhot.

5thHorseman

Quote from: UltimateTobi on November 27, 2018, 07:29:58 AM
in what world is September a Summer month?
Ours :)

Summer ends on September 22 most years, 21 some years, 23 others. So 3 weeks of Summer and 1 week of Fall = a Summer month in my book.

I said it poorly in my above post so I'll try again (sorry I type faster than I think sometimes)

You could consider December, March, June, and September to be transitional months (as each has their season change during the month, on roughly the 22nd), so it makes some sense that we'd not use their name in the portmanteaus of Rimworld month names, and instead only use the two months that lie fully within that season. This would give us January and February for Winter, April and May for Spring, July and August for Summer, October and November for Fall. Or Janbruary, Aprimay, Jugust, and Octvember. Or something similar.

But really I see why the devs went with Decembary and Septober, as they sound far better than Janbruary and Octvember.

Though I kind of like Janbruary.

Shurp

Quote from: 5thHorseman on November 27, 2018, 03:48:12 AM
Well every habitable planet we've found has them so hey.

LOL!

Also most of the uninhabitable planets have them too.  Check out the seasons on Uranus.

<insert random anus joke>

Does Rimworld adjust solar power for seasons?  And does it adjust seasonal intensity for latitude?  Equatorial regions shouldn't have noticeable seasons without extreme axial tilt (>45').
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

AileTheAlien

I'm not sure if the game has a smooth formula for seasons based on latitude, or if it's just based on biomes (so, indirectly based on latitude), but from my experience, playing near the equator usually means no large changes in temperature, except for clod/hot snaps.

dburgdorf

Quote from: AileTheAlien on November 28, 2018, 09:01:28 AMI'm not sure if the game has a smooth formula for seasons based on latitude....

A game map's seasonal temperature variation is indeed based on its latitude. (I know this because I just added the option to "Realistic Planets" to adjust a planet's axial tilt, which increases or decreases the extent of the latitude-based seasonal temperature variations.)
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

UltimateTobi

Quote from: 5thHorseman on November 27, 2018, 11:28:51 PM
in what world is September a Summer month?
Ours :)

Summer ends on September 22 most years, 21 some years, 23 others. So 3 weeks of Summer and 1 week of Fall = a Summer month in my book.

I said it poorly in my above post so I'll try again (sorry I type faster than I think sometimes)

You could consider December, March, June, and September to be transitional months (as each has their season change during the month, on roughly the 22nd), so it makes some sense that we'd not use their name in the portmanteaus of Rimworld month names, and instead only use the two months that lie fully within that season. This would give us January and February for Winter, April and May for Spring, July and August for Summer, October and November for Fall. Or Janbruary, Aprimay, Jugust, and Octvember. Or something similar.

But really I see why the devs went with Decembary and Septober, as they sound far better than Janbruary and Octvember.

Though I kind of like Janbruary.
Okay, haha, fair enough. I've probably seen it too strict by my three-months-per-quarter/season.

Thanks for the lively discussion for such a trivial topic though. Interesting nonetheless!

Also: sorry if I came across rude.
Your generic Steam user.

Canute

Why do you even use terra month?
Rimworld is a different planet, i even played it now very long and i am unsure if that planet even got a moon.
Since our month count is based on the moon cycle why they should keep that system at the new planet.
And Rimworld even travel faster around the sun, the year don't take 365 days.

UltimateTobi

Quote from: Canute on November 28, 2018, 04:11:31 PM
Why do you even use terra month?
Rimworld is a different planet, i even played it now very long and i am unsure if that planet even got a moon.
Since our month count is based on the moon cycle why they should keep that system at the new planet.
And Rimworld even travel faster around the sun, the year don't take 365 days.
You'd have to ask the developers why they used Earth Months for their game.
I just wanted to discuss Quadrum names; why and how they are made up.
Your generic Steam user.

mebe

It gone done to death but I'm still unsure why it changed - season names work at any latitude and give some meaning, quadrum names? not so much I felt.