Defending other towns

Started by Names are for the Weak, August 17, 2017, 06:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Names are for the Weak

You know how sometimes a friendly faction will send a group of people to defend you? I was thinking about how few ways you can raise a faction's opinion of you in the vanilla game, and I thought of another way to gain reputation: You can send a caravan out to defend another town for +3 reputation every 24 hours you are there. Their basic needs will be provided for by the town, so you don't need to worry about anyone going hungry or insane. If there is an attack of any kind, you will get a notification to zoom onto the battlefield, where you will join in the fight. If the enemy is defeated, i.e all of them are downed or routed, you gain +10 reputation with them. If any of your guys are wounded, they will receive treatment. If you don't succeed, i.e the town is sacked, you don't lose any reputation, but you lose everyone on your caravan that didn't escape. What do you think?

Vlad0mi3r

It could work if you made it like the Caravan request you get now.

Don't know about your Colonists hanging at the other base (Social fights, Pyromaniacs and Bloodlust Brawlers) but you could have it where a map generates similar to an outpost and you have say 2 in game hours to get setup to defend the base.

Loading up your Muffalos with charged up batteries and turrets. Dropping a mortar in with drop pods perhaps.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

NeverPire

Really interesting.
The problem is the travel time.Your caravan will take a while to reach your allies settlement and the battle will be already finished.
Maybe it would be possible if your allies had for example a spy report announcing an imminent attack in some days.

So the event message would look like that :

" Call to all our allies, one of our spy has reported an imminent attack from The Anonymous Pirates against our settlement of The Nameless Place. Help us to repel it and you will be generously rewarded. "

I prefer the reward idea because if don't think a faction which doesn't really like you would like to see you coming to its town arms in hand.
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

Vlad0mi3r

Quote from: NeverPire on August 18, 2017, 06:35:52 AM

Maybe it would be possible if your allies had for example a spy report announcing an imminent attack in some days.

So the event message would look like that :

" Call to all our allies, one of our spy has reported an imminent attack from The Anonymous Pirates against our settlement of The Nameless Place. Help us to repel it and you will be generously rewarded. "

Yep that message would work indeed with the enemy will be here in x amount of days.

I think one idea for a reward would be +1 reputation with faction for each enemy killed or driven off and +5 for each Faction member who survives at the base.

24hrs hang around time at the base after the fight. enough time to patch people up and head home. (or dig graves)
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

NeverPire

I think the most complicated in this idea is to soundly balance the attack to don't let your allies win without your help but let you make the difference.
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

Indoril120

Quote from: NeverPire on August 19, 2017, 04:07:13 AM
I think the most complicated in this idea is to soundly balance the attack to don't let your allies win without your help but let you make the difference.

I don't think that's necessarily a problem. I mean, sometimes when I call in backup it's just because I want to reduce the risk of a fight to my colonists' lives and would rather let 'mercs' take care of the pirates. I think it could be the same way with helping out a friendly faction. Even if the fight would already favor them, why should they take a chance when they can easily call in their buddies from nearby?

I really like the idea, btw. It would make a good addition to the game and add a bit more to the interrelationships you have with nearby towns and factions.

Zoolder

I like this idea, and we have Transport Pods that would work perfect for quick military aid. It could just be a notification similar to Caravan Request except with a short time (The bandits are preparing an assault). If you send in reinforcements and help them fend off the raiders they will give you a reward, and perhaps make it so if you don't help them there is a 20 - 50% chance (Depending on difficulty?) the colony will be destroyed.

Perhaps they could even offer you a transport pod ride home if you help them out!

Bakar

I think the bases need to look better first, right now they're just a few rooms protected with sandbags and turrets
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.