Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rimrimthulu

HI...would be good..

-to allow the mode to fire guns while walking towards the enemy, with an aim penalty.

-Dig holes on the ground that u cant pass and make bridges on them if u want.

DariusWolfe

Quote from: Rimrimthulu on September 20, 2016, 12:29:36 PM-to allow the mode to fire guns while walking towards the enemy, with an aim penalty.

I don't think this is a good idea, because there's no downside. In real life you try to get a stable platform rather than firing on the move because otherwise you're just throwing bullets for no reason, and you'll eventually run out. In Rimworld, you've got unlimited bullets, so there's no cost to shooting and moving. You might occasionally pop off rounds while moving to try to suppress the enemy (though ideally you'd have someone stationary doing the suppression while you moved, and vice versa) but to have a similar mechanic in Rimworld would require a lot of reworking of pawn behavior and cover mechanics.

Supert

Make sieges rarer.
Seriously, I've got 3 sieges from the same faction in a row and two of them at the same time.

erdelf

Make the cat sounds less realistic...
seriously, everytime I hear it I take my headphones off to check.

SpaceDorf

Please change putting Wort in a Barrel from hauling to cooking.
The change of the process for brewing is great, but it feels that it never gets done, because no one puts the Wort into a Barrel if not micro-managed.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

dgchessman1984

Hello!

So, while many folks seem to be suggesting additional items, etc. I've noticed a few bits in my brief week or so playing Rimworld.

First, the Steam side of things has a major glaring hole in it, mainly to do with mod support and a central repository that is no longer supported and may or may not be.

Now, I know that's suggesting a big task..... but!   There's a huge 'but' there, the payoff is huge.  Not just a few items, or some added content.  Right now the mod community I see attached to Rimworld is manyfold the depth and complexity of the main game, but the conflicts, cross-talk, incomplete ideas, and lack of regular support seems to have it a bit chaotic.  I find myself eyeballing many upon many mods, but find myself only using a few based on how few are actively updated, work with each other, or relied on CCL which appears to just be on hiatus.

My suggestion?  I'd look into a way for herding your modders, similar to how CCL was doing it, if not directly how they were going about it.

With Bethesda games you see SKSE.  With Stellaris I can see, at a glance, exactly what files each mod changes.  And you see these structures reflected in other libraries, agreed-upon formats, frameworks, etc.  However best suits this particular style of game...

Rather than doing the work yourself, try to make it easier for others to put the hours of coding in for you.  Because if the number of mods I see on Steam alone is any indication, that's by far your greatest (read: cheapest) source of content.

Supert

Doctors should start treating from bleeding wounds.

MikeLemmer

Quote from: Supert on September 22, 2016, 07:14:40 PM

+1

It's frustrating when I have to wait for them to treat a dozen bruises before getting around to the sucking chest wound.

As an appendeum, can you code it so they don't use medkits on non-infectious wounds? Whatever benefit treating bruises with medicine has isn't worth the expended medicine.

blub01

Quote from: MikeLemmer on September 23, 2016, 04:38:19 AM
Quote from: Supert on September 22, 2016, 07:14:40 PM

+1

It's frustrating when I have to wait for them to treat a dozen bruises before getting around to the sucking chest wound.

As an appendeum, can you code it so they don't use medkits on non-infectious wounds? Whatever benefit treating bruises with medicine has isn't worth the expended medicine.

bruises can get infected, I believe. just not if you treat them at all.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

MikeLemmer

I would like an estimate of how many days of food I have left. It's currently hard to tell if I have enough food to survive the winter.

poolday

An option to re-pick the mods that go with the save you are trying to load. Or mod presets.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: MikeLemmer on September 23, 2016, 02:25:29 PM
I would like an estimate of how many days of food I have left. It's currently hard to tell if I have enough food to survive the winter.

Short answer :

4200 Food Items for 10 P³ ( Pawns, Pets and Prisoners ) to last 21 days, ( 15 days winter, 6 days to grow rice )

Calculation :
Easy - 1 Pawn eats 2 Meals a Day.
2 Meals = 20 Foodstuff
So you need

20 * P³ ( Pawns, Pets, Prisoners ) * ( 15 days of winter season + x days growing time )
fooditems to bridge winter.

I did the long calculation here
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6365.msg255364#msg255364
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

HWThompson

Having an action/effect of hauling being to reorganise storage areas so that piles are not duplicated without being full. E.g. there are not several piles of less than 10 meals?

Kewkky

So I know that the perma-death game type saves whenever you quit, but that leaves the game mode prone to abuse by people just alt+f4'ing out of the game whenever something bad happens. How about keeping the "save upon quit" mode, but changing it so that once you load it, it also deletes the save file? It won't stop people from making copies of the save file and putting it into another folder, but it'll definitely lower the amount of people abusing the system as well as keep it feeling as a real perma-death mode. If a player's batteries die or they lose electricity, so be it. They chose perma-death mode knowing what the consequences could be.

Another cheap suggestion...How about giving the colonists nightmares and good dreams? Could be a bonus or penalty after every extended period of sleeping that would only last a few hours once they wake up, and nightmares could sometimes wake them up early and not let them go back to sleep, causing them to start feeling tired sometime during the work day.

Last one, which has been mentioned before... At the end of the game, whether you escaped on a ship or died, show a menu with colony-wide statistics similar to the one each individual colonist has (plus add a few things in, like total silver obtained which would include trades and mining, total play time, maybe gather info from players' results screens so you could give them ranks ranging from S to F based on their performances when they escape/die, etc). Not sure how long this would take so it may not exactly be a "cheap suggestion" like the other two.

blub01

Quote from: Kewkky on September 24, 2016, 07:35:40 PM
So I know that the perma-death game type saves whenever you quit, but that leaves the game mode prone to abuse by people just alt+f4'ing out of the game whenever something bad happens. How about keeping the "save upon quit" mode, but changing it so that once you load it, it also deletes the save file? It won't stop people from making copies of the save file and putting it into another folder, but it'll definitely lower the amount of people abusing the system as well as keep it feeling as a real perma-death mode. If a player's batteries die or they lose electricity, so be it. They chose perma-death mode knowing what the consequences could be.

that would delete the save should the game crash. bad idea. maybe just do very frequent autosaves.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.