Trenches and Barricades

Started by General Elephant, November 30, 2017, 08:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General Elephant

I find early game security features to be very restrictive. I would like it if there was a way to make trenches and barricades to help colonies in the early stages deal with the many threats they face. Something simple like trenches you dig out give a 55% cover effectiveness and a 2% bonus to shot accuracy (i'm stretching there) and barricades would just be a quick and dirty set up using various materials to prevent movement over certain tiles without needing to build walls. Sandbags are nice, but they don't cover all the needs, and early game, sometimes steel is a scarce resource.

Just my 2 cents

NeverPire

With a huge mood debuff for your pawns.
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

Bolgfred

I am not getting very happy with the trench, as it's actually nothing else than a sandsag, but possibly indestructable and has no ressource cost.
Nevertheless would it be funny if sitting in a trench increases accuracy on incoming grenades.

The barricades sound quite cool, as a very fragile cover that might geht shot away during a fight.

All-in-all I think it's worth noticing that all Rimworld is based on simple elements, so I think it's by intention that sandbags and deadfall traps are the only defense items.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

iota_x

Creatinng a priority zone for chunks is exacly a barricade. It's already in vanilla.

As for trenches, I like it. A lot.

I still grond my teeth with the fact that sandbags cost steel!

Leave them the same (balance) but allow for trenches, which require a lot of time to construct, and provide cover, but increase opposing grenade accuracy, and have an inherent disease chance debuff for every pawn inside.

General Elephant

chunks can be passed over. my idea of a barricade is something that inhibits movement without needing to fully construct walls. it was just an idea though.

the point of trenches would be similar to a chunk line, providing cover and slow movement over that tile.