Traps

Started by Bairne, January 19, 2015, 11:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bairne

So, I only just recently grabbed the newest version from SendOwl, and I saw that you can create heat traps and such, but how exactly can I do that?

If it has to be indoors, and it needs to be a completed room to count as indoors, and the enemies break doors on their way in, then the second they break the door don't I lose all the heat?

Is there a way (without mods) to have a path open to them that still counts as indoors?

Mikhail Reign

Stock pile in the door, put a stone in it to hold it open, take it out when they go thro the door.

Or just get one of the many mods that allows you to open doors.

CreepyD

Sounds awfully like an exploit to me.

Endoric

I use door stops aka chunks to hold doors opened all the time especially for heat and cooling reasons.

REMworlder

Think of the heat as just a secondary factor that makes trapped enemies succumb a bit faster than starvation or insanity. The fundamental aspect is trapping enemies (eg, walling them in).

Putting chunks in doorways also will hold them open, like people said.

Mikhail Reign

Well you can kill then VERY quickly if the room they enter is small and has a geo vent in it. Temps can get up to 1000+ a second or two following an eruption. Only problem is all the stuff they were carrying burns quickly to. It's still very possible to have a colonist run and and quickly grab the good stuff tho.

milon

1. A propped open door retains some temperature (not fully lost)
2. You can chain up several doors in a row to improve the temperature retention
3. Cold doesn't destroy items
4. This is most definitely an exploit, and not a lot of fun (IMO)

Fishirboy

The issue with this concept is that the raiders would then need to be coded to notice these things and react appropriately. At this point in time raiders are dumb and will run into them. What will need to happen is a overhaul of the AI when pathing around things like fires and about to explode turrets, also the player and raiders should not have full sight over the entire map and should be left unaware of some things IE traps and explosives. That would leave a level of depth were if a raider party was to be completely wiped without any getting away no information of the area would be leaked. This is a completely separate topic that I may give up to suggestion but I would over all say that traps would be op against the current AI and until that changes traps may need to be left out.

Mikhail Reign

I dont really see why something should be left out because the AI cant account for it. The AI currently cant really account for anything. A single raider will run into a wall of LMG armed colonists or turrets. They will run past exploding things. They will go into freezing/boiling rooms. If everything that they cant account for was taken out/not put in, the only thing we would have is wealth and colonists.