A16 Black strip on top of screen

Started by Toast, January 30, 2017, 11:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toast

Hi all. I just updated to A16 and I have suddenly developed a strange visual artifact that was never there before--a black strip on the top of the screen that persists throughout the game, from the splash screen to the actual gameplay.

I am only using two mods, Prepare Carefully and Trading Spot, both updated for A16, and I don't see how either of them would be causing this.

I am playing on a Mac on Steam, and I have always experienced the bug where the game is not fit to the proper resolution upon opening (it is 1400x898 or something instead of 1400x900), but that has always been easily solved by adjusting the resolution immediately upon opening the game, and it does nothing to remove the black strip.

The game is not unplayable or anything, but it's rather annoying not to be able to see the very top of the screen, and my poor colonists have the top of their heads chopped off on the bar! :(

I've tried to take some pictures but you can't see the black strip in them, it seems. It just looks like the top of the game screen is not captured in the screenshot. But you can see how, for example, the top of the colonists' heads and the Learning Helper are cut off.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/171536200081966930/68AB92FAFBFCDFFB175C9699480A20C96EE3A3B2/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/171536200081967197/3804E9EF2AAA141DB803417BD9968328EC602483/

nccvoyager

Now, I have little experience with Macs and Steam interacting with them, but my first suggestion would be to disable the Steam in-game overlay.
I have seen this feature cause some weird things to happen, including black game windows even as you can hear the game running in the background.
You can disable the overlay by going to the "Library" page in the Steam client, right-clicking* on "RimWorld" and selecting "Properties" from the drop-down list. Once the windows opens, you should be able to disable the Steam in-game overlay from this window.
*(Pretty much all Macs use two-button mice now, right? If not, use the applicable alternate-click to bring up the drop-down list.)

If this does not rectify the issue, please post here again, and I am sure that someone else will help you with more in-depth suggestions than I can.

Toast

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it but sadly it did not work.

ETA: yeah I think all Macs use a 2-button mouse in some form now; I have been on a MacBook for many years and it's a simple two-finger tap on the trackpad for me.

nccvoyager

I am sorry that this did not resolve the issue for you.
Unfortunately, I must leave this to somebody else that may have better experience with Macs.

Could you upload a copy of your log file in order to possibly help track down the issue?

QuoteMac (Steam): Users/<UserName>/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log
Mac (non-Steam): /Users/[your user name]/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

(Yeah, I thought so. Shows how long it has been since I used a Mac. Heh.)

Toast

Okay, here it is.

As I started the game up last night, it suddenly occurred to me that the black strip almost perfectly corresponds with the placement of the menu bar... almost like it's a "ghost" of it. Could it be possible that the menu bar is being imperfectly hidden?

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

nccvoyager

Possibly a damaged/missing graphic, or displaying incorrectly?

By any chance, do you have a Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, or an iMac?
If so, I ask because it appears that your graphics drivers may be out of date.
Your current driver is listed as V310.., while I believe I saw an updated driver that looked to be V346.., which appears to fix several issues regarding the 650M GPU on Macs.

You should be able to find an updated driver on the NVidia website.
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/105589

Note that your OS must be updated before you can install those.