Guesthouse of doom (bug?)

Started by brucethemoose, October 03, 2016, 08:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brucethemoose

So I got notifications about a bunch of my colony's visitors dying, and wondered what was up.

Turns out I inadvertently made a brutally efficient gas chamber for my guests. Room temperature was 160F+ when I finally noticed and opened the vent.

Not sure if this is a bug, exploit (shouldn't AI avoid sleeping in a 160F room?), or good old fashioned Rimworld pragmatism, but nevertheless it's amazing.

Maybe I should make it a prison instead...

Serenity

For a room maybe twice that size(?) it could work without getting nasty. Depending on the outside temperature.

I've used geysers and later geothermal generators to heat my starting room in the arctic. Or greenhouses in boreal forest. But generally you want them unroofed.

brucethemoose

Quote from: Serenity on October 03, 2016, 08:38:55 PM
For a room maybe twice that size(?) it could work without getting nasty. Depending on the outside temperature.

I've used geysers and later geothermal generators to heat my starting room in the arctic. Or greenhouses in boreal forest. But generally you want them unroofed.

That's the idea. I have a door open to the rest of the base during winter and a temp-controlled vent (from the redistheat mod) to cool it down in the summer.

But I replaced a wall and forgot to replace the vent during a heat wave  ;D

The remarkable thing is how efficient it is at slaughtering guests. Build a smaller, double wall room around a single geyser, and you could farm guests without technically entering combat.

carbon

Guests don't generally sleep in beds in vanilla (unless you rescue them). If it is a bug, it's likely with whatever mod causes that behavior.

Serenity

Wouldn't this be the same with colonists? People generally don't give a damn where they sleep. They'll sleep in the freezer and then be pissed off that it was cold.

brucethemoose

Quote from: carbon on October 03, 2016, 09:27:52 PM
Guests don't generally sleep in beds in vanilla (unless you rescue them). If it is a bug, it's likely with whatever mod causes that behavior.

Ah, its a bug with hospitality then, I could've sworn the guest beds were a vanilla thing.

carbon

Serenity makes a good point. It probably is just colonist sleeping patterns copy and pasted onto guests.

The issue really lies with the fact that the player has a strong incentive to prevent colonists from sleeping in unsafe temperatures. Failing to do so can rapidly be the end of your colony.

Failing to do so with guests however, is actually a profitable game strategy. Ideally, the difference in incentives should have led the modmaker to make guests more discerning than colonists in where they sleep. That clearly hasn't happened yet though.