[1.3] Rimatomics | Rimefeller

Started by Dubwise, August 28, 2016, 06:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

QuoteThe original idea wasn't really to make you stack up hundreds of batteries but to have a reason to build larger reactors that can produce megawatts, but people would like to use the energy weapons without needing a type V reactor brimming with MOX fuel

Hehe, thats maybe because of the regular gameplay.
When you build your (first) reactor core and fuel it up completly, you get a hugh poweroutput. Compared to other regular Rimworld power generators thats more power you ever need.
Only a few mod's (GlitterTech at example) are in need of that many power.
Thats why a normal player don't think to upgrade the reactor when he got 70k surplus power.
But 70k are for Rimatomic's Energy weapon's not enough.
Maybe you should mention this stronger at the descriptions :-)

DooMJake

I got a few ckracked fuelrods in my... experimentation for the reactor shielding tech. Do there still work at producing energy or what am I supposed to do with them?

Dubwise

toss them into a storage pool or take them off map and abandon them or launch them into the sea or stick them down a mine shaft

DooMJake

Okay will do. This planet is polluted anyway...which is in no way related to my tests. No matter what the other colonists say.

Sliderpro

By the way I didnt notice obelisk had 100% accuracy, its worth mentioning for new players in the description)

Nice idea with railguns, will definetely try it out.

Another thing I wanted to suggest is to mention how exactly powerful 100% heated radiator is compared to normal electric heater. Like 2x, 3x, etc. Current description says "to heat up large bases" and its kind of unreliable description.

I have some suggestions about nuclear waste

imho waste has too small of an AOE... shouldnt it be crazy radioactive and penetrating walls?
Oh! And maybe radioactive waste will deteriorate unconditionally (always)  and release some crazy radioactive unremovable \pools of waste.. unless contained
How about using nuclear waste to make buildable..how to say it, dig a hole and pour waste there. Massive radiation to give enemies some nice debuffs. Because why not

Dubwise

added that obelisk and tesla coil are 100% accurate to the descriptions
adding a research step to the railgun that requires you to perform a fire mission to complete it
i'll just remove the base heating part from the radiator description, its really not made for it, it was just a side effect, they are actually just mini cooling solutions for cramped bases or if you only need a small reactor setup like early game or something which is what i use them for

coldcell

This mod adds stuff mostly to end game? Will AI make sure of the (presumably OP) new weapons to keep the balance of power?

Sliderpro

To mid game mostly, but buildings are somewhat costly 
AI name is dubwise56 :)

Sliderpro

Quote from: dubwise56 on March 31, 2018, 10:48:55 AM
i'll just remove the base heating part from the radiator description, its really not made for it, it was just a side effect, they are actually just mini cooling solutions for cramped bases or if you only need a small reactor setup like early game or something which is what i use them for
I quite like radiators in winter maps, because they are more space-efficient and less laggy then 10 heaters per each room  ::)

Mehni

I noticed that pawns have a tendency to build a roof over the cooling tower when it's placed touching a wall. The cooling tower then stops working, because it's under a roof. It's then impossible to remove the roof with conventional methods, because the tower is too big and pawns can't reach the centre.

Simple fix, inspired by the wind turbines XML:

<building>
<ai_chillDestination>false</ai_chillDestination>
<allowAutoroof>false</allowAutoroof>
</building>

The latter tag is what does the magic, the former prevents trade caravans/thrumbos from hanging out near it (if it's placed away from other colony buildings). Not necessary, but would make sense.

In continuation with the polish, I noticed it's possible to create MOX fuel early on. It might be better to lock this recipe behind the Plutonium processing, as there's no method to obtain the required materials for MOX fuel anyway. Currently it's unlocked together with regular uranium fuel rods.

Wanderer_joins

Seems interesting, and extremely well done.

What about changing the ship requirements to introduce some plutonium in the ship reactor recipe or to add a few RTGs? Whereas it's exciting to build an atomic plant, power is cheap in Rimworld, i get all the OP weapons and stuff, but a Rimatomic ship would change the end game conditions.

Dubwise

Quote from: Mehni on April 10, 2018, 07:12:25 AM
I noticed that pawns have a tendency to build a roof over the cooling tower when it's placed touching a wall

fixed for next patch, i swear i had the autoroof node on the tower before because that's one of the first things i checked, must of got mulched when i was moving things around one day

Dubwise

Quote from: Wanderer_joins on April 10, 2018, 07:57:26 AM
Seems interesting, and extremely well done.

What about changing the ship requirements to introduce some plutonium in the ship reactor recipe or to add a few RTGs? Whereas it's exciting to build an atomic plant, power is cheap in Rimworld, i get all the OP weapons and stuff, but a Rimatomic ship would change the end game conditions.

don't really want to mess around with base game content, sticking with reactors and weapons for now

Canute

And the ship reactor is based on Antimatter anyway. :-)

Sliderpro

Yeah antimatter reactor which produces how much?  ;D