The right heating system

Started by Humort, February 24, 2015, 06:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Humort

If this is indeed the "Wild West", then what have swords, long (British) bows, short (! Asian)? but even if the "wild west", then is not it possible heating system, in that time, something different from the standard pan-European kiln system? I understand that personal heater, can solve the problem in a small room, on three colonists, but for heating large complexes, it is a mockery of the very understanding of the colony ...
I speak Russian if you don't understand that I wrote, Google Translator is guilty of it

erdrik

Your being too exact.
It is not about being period/era accurate.
It is about being thematically accurate.

The 'wild west untamed rimworld' theme is suppose to be about rugged, inefficient challenges.
The fact that there are swords, and non-period gear and weapons are not relevant to the theme because they can still be rugged and inefficient.

But advanced heating systems are by nature/design meant to be a more efficient solution to temperature control and therefore do not match the theme of the game.

And as a final point, if I recall correctly Tynan has stated that the game is not designed around large colonies.
Your goal is to build the ship and leave, not build a permanent colony.
Looking at the data, the storytellers MAX desired population is 11(Cassandra), 11(Phoebe), and 16(Randy).
16 population is considered "critical" to Cassandra and Phoebe, and the game will start trying to actively reduce your population.

Yas

Mhh,

Well, I think OP is right in his points. There are more economical ways for heating. But please understand that this is a game. And not everything has to be realistic. And individual heating has its advantages. One person wants to sleep at 18�C another at 20 or 19.5�C.

Still... it is a legal suggestion to ask for an alternative system. And he postet in correct place and everything. Guess its just lacking the translator.

So I try to put it in the way I understood his suggestion, he asks for an alternative option of heating:

a) A new central heating thing on geysir (or woodstove to heat water maybe, or similar), a central heating plant.
b) Walls including pipes to transport heat (hot water / steam / hot whatever) from central-heat-plant around.
c) A mechanic that those heat-pipe-walls will heat surrounding air.

In the end Tyrant may implement this or other ways for heating, or not. Thats why we have mods and people developing mods (and Tyrant steali... copyin... gets inspired by those mods sometimes). Guess, best way for you would start a mod-request and hope one think the same way like you.

P.S. Guess it doesnt matter if setting is wild-west or not, setting is super chaotic anyways. Year 5.000 but people run around with wood swords while other have some glitter-super-overpowered-doom-blast-cannon-pistol dealing 200.000 dmg per second.

Humort

Yas, thank you very much for what you could understand what I tried to convey in this thread. Now I can calm down, and try to move this topic further, among those who do fashion, in case these arguments will not be enough to implement the idea..
I speak Russian if you don't understand that I wrote, Google Translator is guilty of it