Restrict tab ?

Started by Sylvain07, November 09, 2017, 03:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvain07

How do you use 'restrict tab'? I want say which utility for you, share your experience.

Limdood

No tab restrictions will stop colonists eating.

"Anything" makes colonists work...they will do joy activities when they get low, and sleep when they get tired.  I use joy most of the time when i do colonies, and even when you use alternating work & joy, a single tile of anything helps cover the transition and keeps a long mining job from making them totally miss a joy hour.

"Work" is the same as "anything" except pawns won't sleep or do joy when their needs get low.  I use work on most of my colonies in the first day, to help make sure the beds and rooms get done before night 1. 

"Joy" makes pawn prioritize joy much higher, doing joy activities anytime the joy falls below the highest tick.  It is useful to keep a pawn happy that would otherwise be in a state of permanent break risk, such as a lost spouse or withdrawal.  It also tends to keep pawns close to the base because thats where joy activities tend to be.

"sleep" makes pawns below about 66% sleep need go to sleep until their bar is full.  It otherwise functions like anything.  I always have a sleep restrict in my colonies.  It's particularly useful for setting up "shifts" if you want people awake in a large colony all the time (or to separate people who hate each other, or accomodate night owls).

I USUALLY use a 7 sleep, 17 anything restrict, but sometimes i'll do a 7 sleep, 1 any, 6 work, 2 joy, 1 any, 6 work, 1 any....it seems to work fairly well to keep people on schedule, and works particularly well in colonies where people get along socially, since it forces congregation in joy areas during joy times.

The Nickman

I genuinely only ever set them two to four hours sleep around "bed-time" (usually ten o'clock to two o'clock) and have the rest set to "anything".  They'll do joy if they need it that way and otherwise they'll work.  I've literally never used "work".

My only exception is my night owls, who get sleep for the eight hours they need (I think 10am to 6pm or whatever it is) and the rest anything.