I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Fool

Ok, here is another one I just tested: the old handicapped sacrificial prisoner.  Wait until you have a prisoner with an infected leg, perhaps helped along by maintaining a dirty prison, and then amputate the leg.  Place the prisoner behind your entry way.  As soon as raiders get through the entry way they will decide to kidnap who they can.  All but one of them will leave as fast as they can, while the one remaining one is slowed down carrying the sacrifice.  Now, charge out with your colonists and melee the poor raider to recover your "guest".  Wash, Rinse, Repeat.  Works with useless colonists as well.

mumblemumble

Molotovs impact in walls by detonating "inside"  the wall,  meaning you can light the other side without having a line of sight.

Also means a molotov is less effective if chucked at a wall,  as 3 of the fuel puddles spawn inside the wall.

Also applies to grenades and rockets,  unsure if this is fixable,  but making the explosion spawn outside the wall would be great.

Rockets i can understand,  mind you,  since they launch at such high speeds / could Pierce walls a bit,  but molotovs leaking through a stone wall is odd,  and abusable to light tribals trying to bash down a door.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Tynan

Quote from: mumblemumble on April 05, 2016, 03:13:59 PM
Molotovs impact in walls by detonating "inside"  the wall,  meaning you can light the other side without having a line of sight.

Also means a molotov is less effective if chucked at a wall,  as 3 of the fuel puddles spawn inside the wall.

Also applies to grenades,  unsure if this is fixable,  but making the explosion spawn outside the wall would be great.

That's actually a bug, I'd say.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

mumblemumble

Quote from: Tynan on April 05, 2016, 03:26:35 PM
Quote from: mumblemumble on April 05, 2016, 03:13:59 PM

Also applies to grenades,  unsure if this is fixable,  but making the explosion spawn outside the wall would be great.

That's actually a bug, I'd say.

Bug,  exploit,  incendiary incident,  whatever you want to call it,  as long as it gets fixed =)
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Tynan

Well, this thread is for exploit strategies.

Could you report it as a bug in a separate thread, according to the usual method?

Nightwolf

While doing testing with the development build, I decided to see what I could do to make traps effective.  It turns out that you can exploit them by spamming the construction of doors in a way I don't think they were intended.  This was done so that colonists could reset traps without standing on live traps and killing themselves.  What you see here is an extremely long line of traps in equally long corridors.  Enemies can't path through doors and traps don't count as a barrier, so they will force themselves through all the traps to get to the main entrance to the colony since it is the only way in that's not blocked, even though they hit the traps again and again.  When colonists need to access traps they just walk in between the traps by going through the doors,  even though it shouldn't be possible for a colonist to enter a door through the side (a bug from my point of view).  These trap corridors are so effective that I haven't had to personally attack any enemies with my colonists for about 2 years, as nobody has been able to survive going through each hall of traps.  Not even centipedes can get through (all of them die from their head getting crushed by 4 traps)!  That being said I have never completed all of the traps in the corridors simply because I haven't had the need for any more than this.

The only problem I've had when doing this is colonists will reset a trap while another one is standing on that trap resetting yet a different trap.  As soon as the trap gets reset, the trap will occasionally instantly activate on the colonist standing on it.  I've lost at least colonist to this peculiar behavior so far.

Tynan

Quote from: Nightwolf on April 05, 2016, 05:01:57 PM

That's certainly creative! Never thought of something like that. There's probably an array of exploits that revolve around stacks of doorways, really.

JimmyAgnt007

I never thought of this one here but it seems like a neat idea.

RemingtonRyder

I guess if a player save scumming to get a legendary table is a problem, you could get around it by setting the randomisation seed based on the world seed and total colony time played. Reloading will therefore be repeating the same action expecting a different result, aka madness.

Personally, I don't think that there's so much randomisation that it is worth trying to get legendary furniture. Sculpting will easily get you more reliable results!

I like the idea of using doors to reset traps in a non-cheesy way and I might try it and see how it goes.

mumblemumble

Honestly with the "save scum",  thing,  i think instead having an xcom tick box to prevent it that you can turn on / off would be ideal,  rather than it being forced on,  and screwing people who say,  save right before a raid or something.

Besides save scumming is a very different type of exploit.

-----

falcongrey

Quote from: mumblemumble on April 06, 2016, 02:21:32 PM
Honestly with the "save scum",  thing,  i think instead having an xcom tick box to prevent it that you can turn on / off would be ideal,  rather than it being forced on,  and screwing people who say,  save right before a raid or something.

Besides save scumming is a very different type of exploit.

I think this is what the new perma death mode does. ;)
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

mumblemumble

Exactly...  Some people suggest a device to prevent save scumming,  and while I'm fine with it being an option off by default,  having it on and unable to be turned off would become such a headache for everyone else eventually,  i think it wouldn't be worth it.

Besides that,  save scumming kinda goes outside "game exploits"  to "exploiting players"

-----

falcongrey

And while the majority of players won't 'save scum', often the devices developed to prevent it end up becoming issues and problems for those who never would do it.
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

thedee05

Constructing buildings around turrets and then deconstructing all but one square to make the turret in darkness.

Tynan

Moving this to General Discussion so everyone can weigh in.