Advanced Ballistics

Started by Plymouth, September 01, 2016, 08:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plymouth

Idea: Variable damage and bullet speed over distance.

Similar functioning defs: accuracy decay.

It would be nice for each weapon to have(per weapon type) mechanism of damage and speed decay over distance. It would allow having greater ranges while maintaining balance and would give a "feeling" to supplement accuracy decay with distance, since effects would be quite visual.

Scheme of velocity decay, from slowest decay to fastest:

Rocket Launchers: would gain velocity with distance.
Charge weapons: would have no velocity decay with distance.
Sniper weapons(high velocity cartridges): would have very low velocity decay with distance.
Rifle weapons(rifle cartridge): would have low velocity decay with distance.
LMGs(rifle cartridge, automatic fire): would have low to moderate velocity decay with distance.
Assault Rifles(Intermidiate Cartridge): would have moderate velocity decay with distance.
SMGs(pistol cartridges, long barrel): would have high velocity decay with distance.
Pistols(pistol cartridges, short barrel): would have highest velocity decay with distance.

Scheme of damage decay, from slowest decay to fastest:

Rocket Launchers: damage would not decay.
Sniper weapons(high velocity cartridges): would have very low damage decay rate.
Rifle weapons(rifle cartridge): would have low damage decay rate.
LMGs(rifle cartridge, automatic fire): would have low to moderate damage decay rate.
Assault Rifles(Intermidiate Cartridge): would have moderate damage decay rate.
Charge weapons: would have above moderate damage decay rate.
SMGs(pistol cartridges, long barrel): would have high damage decay rate.
Pistols(pistol cartridges, short barrel): would have highest damage decay rate.

The idea to me seems moderately complicated since there is not too much(from my perspective) in the world design of rimworld which could collide with this concept aside from code organisation difficulties in itself. For creating a ballistic curve function you can use wiki as a source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajectory_of_a_projectile

Tynan, of course, I realize how many underwater stones there are in development of rimwold and am not by any means intricately acquainted with it, and I would like to hear, in short, what complications will stand in the way of implementation of this mechanic, whether it be a personal vision or technical problems.

Thank you for reading this far!
Cheers,

Plymouth