[Outdated] Marvin's Hot and Cold Pack IV

Started by RemingtonRyder, December 12, 2014, 12:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaballah

Regarding your Raid Sanity Check, while I totally understand and agree with the reasoning for it, if you embark in a really cold biome, nothing happens at all except mechanoid incidents.  Hadn't you been tinkering with some sort of raid setup where the invaders were equipped with better cold weather gear and could survive long enough to assault you?  As it is Sanity Check makes for a pretty slow winter.

RickyMartini

Quote from: Kaballah on January 03, 2016, 11:19:35 PM
Regarding your Raid Sanity Check, while I totally understand and agree with the reasoning for it, if you embark in a really cold biome, nothing happens at all except mechanoid incidents.  Hadn't you been tinkering with some sort of raid setup where the invaders were equipped with better cold weather gear and could survive long enough to assault you?  As it is Sanity Check makes for a pretty slow winter.

Even ison and Tynan have trouble doing that. They discussed that in the mantis bug tracker because they had issues with how to code the raiders to do exactly this.

Kaballah

Hey all this tinkering with patch generators I've been doing, I notice that when you create patches the way your mod does, with straight soil/water border, they basically don't generate filth (dirt/sand/whatever) but when you ring them with a little bit of marsh or mud, they do - lots of it.  IMO you should probably add a little bit of marsh/mud to the patch config block.

Kaballah

I went ahead and did this and imo it makes the patches a bit more visually interesting (and they make more filth when colonists walk through the marsh tiles).

Arid:
    <terrainPatchMakers>
      <li>
        <perlinFrequency>0.009</perlinFrequency>
        <thresholds>
          <li>
            <terrain>MarginalSoil</terrain>
            <min>0.65</min>
            <max>0.95</max>
          </li>
          <li>
            <terrain>Marsh</terrain>
            <min>0.95</min>
            <max>0.99</max>
          </li>
          <li>
            <terrain>WaterShallow</terrain>
            <min>0.99</min>
            <max>1.35</max>
          </li>
        </thresholds>
      </li>
    </terrainPatchMakers>   

Desert:
      <li>
        <perlinFrequency>0.009</perlinFrequency>
        <thresholds>
          <li>
            <terrain>MarginalSoil</terrain>
            <min>0.75</min>
            <max>0.95</max>
          </li>
          <li>
            <terrain>Marsh</terrain>
            <min>0.95</min>
            <max>0.99</max>
          </li>
          <li>
            <terrain>WaterShallow</terrain>
            <min>0.99</min>
            <max>1.35</max>
          </li>
        </thresholds>
      </li>
    </terrainPatchMakers>

RemingtonRyder

Nice! I'll add it. :)

Yeah Raid Sanity is a fairly crude way of preventing raids and visitors from going hypothermic. Note however that manhunters will continue to show up, since they have no sanity.

Obviously, it would be ideal if temperatures below a certain threshold attracted an adversary which suits that environment. If they're not animals though then I'd need to add a faction, which means they would only show up in a new game.

Kaballah

I really think you should tone down Heat Wave/Cold Snap a bit in Harsher Map Conditions, even in the mildest maps I embark on if one of those events hits, basically everyone is going to die unless I build a really monumental amount of heating/cooling.  Also since you have the safety net of seasonal low/high temps that prevent the custom incidents from firing, it ends up being much, much more dangerous to land in a mild biome than in a really harsh one due to the very high severity of heat wave/cold snap.  I think you should probably smooth out the amount of temperature mod a but and get rid of the threshold, landing on the hottest part of the planet probably should not be safer than landing in a temperate region.

RickyMartini

Quote from: Kaballah on January 19, 2016, 04:37:53 PM
I really think you should tone down Heat Wave/Cold Snap a bit in Harsher Map Conditions, even in the mildest maps I embark on if one of those events hits, basically everyone is going to die unless I build a really monumental amount of heating/cooling.  Also since you have the safety net of seasonal low/high temps that prevent the custom incidents from firing, it ends up being much, much more dangerous to land in a mild biome than in a really harsh one due to the very high severity of heat wave/cold snap.  I think you should probably smooth out the amount of temperature mod a but and get rid of the threshold, landing on the hottest part of the planet probably should not be safer than landing in a temperate region.

What adds to this is the very very poor way how heat and colds gets handled in the core game.

Specially when you are building into a mountain. => Vents do not equalize enough so that you end up with freezing bedrooms because the cold snap is just way too harsh.

RemingtonRyder

The map conditions scale according to difficulty (they didn't do so before). You may want to dial back the difficulty.

I'll have a look at the threholds for triggering but bear in mind, the reason they're there is to reduce some of the stacking up of temperature. Temperate maps do have that chance to get either a heatwave or a cold snap. It's an unfortunate consequence of being in the middle. :(

That said, tenperate maps are quite friendly in other regards - plenty of animals and vegetation, for example. It's the storyteller that wants to destroy it all.

Kaballah

I noticed that they depend on difficulty yeah (browsed your code a bit) but I just play on Rough Challenge, 1 up from normal.  If I was playing on max difficulty I wouldn't complain, but this is just Rough Challenge we're talking about, it seems a bit too extreme for that.

e: durr Rough is the midpoint difficulty, I meant Challenge

RemingtonRyder

If you are indeed playing in a Mountain base, perhaps the Mountain Temp mod will help. I haven't tested with it, but I think it'll be compatible.

I'll have a go with Temperate/Mountain/Challenge myself and check in case of booboos.

Kaballah

I could try that mod, but it seems to make outside temperature completely irrelevant if you build under rock at all.  Kind of makes your climate event mod redundant.

e: I dunno I guess I'll give it a try but I think it just kind of cancels out your mod ???

RickyMartini

Quote from: MarvinKosh on January 23, 2016, 05:32:26 PM
If you are indeed playing in a Mountain base, perhaps the Mountain Temp mod will help. I haven't tested with it, but I think it'll be compatible.

Oh god please no. This mod makes the inner mountain temps go to 0 degrees celsius. Makes no sense. It's even harder to hold a nice temperature inside with this. He should have made it at least room temperature. (The temperature of mountains inside is definitely not the freezing point of water.)

Kaballah

Yeah I've been playing with that mod for a while and it doesn't seem all that realistic at all, I don't think I like it either.

RemingtonRyder

Well I finally got to the point you were describing. A heat wave, just as I was building quarters for the colonists. Fortunately, I had some thermal exhaust tunnels built and coolers pushing hot air out when it arrived, so the eventual 70C temps outside were not a huge problem. Except for the lack of crop growth, that is a huge bummer, but I'll manage somehow.

I've attached a picture of my mountain base layout for reference.

The extreme heat waves simply last longer, which means that in order to avoid quickly spoiling food and cranky colonists, more coolers are needed (the greater the temperature gradient, the more power you need to fight it).

It is technically possible to get an extreme heat wave after just two months. Perhaps it should not fire until at least six months after landing - so if you land in temperate during the summer, you can't get one until next year at least. What do you think?

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

RemingtonRyder

There are a couple of checks I'm planning to add:

In Less Incident Trolling, a Solar Flare will no longer trigger while a Heat Wave or Cold Snap is active.

In Harsher Map Conditions, Heat Wave and Cold Snap will no longer trigger while a Solar Flare is active.

While I appreciate that there is a way to survive a cold snap without power, it seems a bit trolly for the storyteller to spring it on you.

I've also changed the way the logic check for this is done!

Basically instead of doing a lot of 'AND NOT this map condition is active' which runs on for an ungodly line length, I've made it more readable by making a bool and ORing all the possible conditions, then doing && !BlockingMapConditions or && !BlockingConditions as appropriate.

Anyway, I'll test that out now and make sure it doesn't derp. It shouldn't do, but it's been a while since I looked at it and logic checks are not always clear, so, testing. ;)