More Turret Types

Started by thekillergreece, October 09, 2013, 07:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thekillergreece

A Machine Gun has already added in-game.Unknown how much damage it does, neither rate of fire...

Lets just think the Machine Gun turret damage is 5 and rate of fire is Normal and its Health is low as well.Now lets add more turret types!!! But I forgot if turrets has cost of...food?Or metal?Nvm.

Mortar Turret:
Damage: 15
Rate of fire: Very low
Health: Same as Machine Gun turret, low
Range: 25% higher than Machine Gun Turret, but the shells of mortar turret will miss to hit a target.
Ammo: 4 shells each reload.
Cost: Nothing

Tesla Turret:
Damage: 2
Rate of fire: High
Health: 10% lower than Machine Gun turret.
Range: Same as machine gun turret.
Ammo: Cant explain. It needs Energy. Tesla's shooting will last 3 seconds. Reload will take 5 seconds.
Cost: Needs research. Its ammo counter can be researched as well, increasing the tesla's shooting to 6 seconds.

Freeze Turret:
Damage: No damage at all
Rate of fire: Very low
Health: Same as mortar turret.
Range: Same as machine gun turret
ABILITY: Will spout "snows" to ground, slowing attackers.
Ammo: After 1 snow ball spouting, it needs 5 seconds to reload.
Cost: Needs research after Tesla turret's research ones. Can be researched to reduce the reload of snow balls spoutings.

Thats all...So, Tynan how do you like these ideas ;)?

British

All this sound like you are preparing a MOBA ???

thekillergreece

Quote from: British on October 09, 2013, 08:10:21 AM

Woah! Wait, what is MOBA? O.o

Semmy

MOBA is a game if im correct like leage of legends or dota 1/2

But to me it sounds like a tower defence game and i wouldnt prefer it.
I think your main force must be the settlers themselves manning the barricades defending our home  with there lifes.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

British

Uh, sorry about that, I was indeed thinking of tower defense but for some reason ended up writing MOBA :o

thekillergreece

Quote from: Semmy on October 09, 2013, 09:12:13 AM

MOBA is a game if im correct like leage of legends or dota 1/2

But to me it sounds like a tower defence game and i wouldnt prefer it.
I think your main force must be the settlers themselves manning the barricades defending our home  with there lifes.

I would kick my own face if this would sound League of Legends or Dota 2. These 2 are worst games.

Back to topic: Tower defense?Hmm..Or how about remove Tesla and Freeze turret and leave the mortar tower make it to RimWorld only?

salt1219

I agree that at least one new type would be cool, I also believe combat should be mostly between colonists and raiders and turrets only playing a small part.

That being said why not a less lethal turret? I think its much more rewarding in the end to capture raiders.  If I kill them I only gain thier guns but if I capture them I can possibly get a new recruit!

Semmy

Quote from: salt1219 on October 09, 2013, 09:40:12 AM
I agree that at least one new type would be cool, I also believe combat should be mostly between colonists and raiders and turrets only playing a small part.

That being said why not a less lethal turret? I think its much more rewarding in the end to capture raiders.  If I kill them I only gain thier guns but if I capture them I can possibly get a new recruit!

If there are going to be more turrets they should take  a shitload of research and even more materials/time to produce.

I mean your 3 screwups stranded on a planet d-:
Edmund Burke

Spike

Quote from: Semmy on October 09, 2013, 09:43:12 AM
I mean your 3 screwups stranded on a planet d-:

That's not quite true.  It's not their fault the ship crashed - they're just the lucky survivors! :P

thekillergreece

Quote from: salt1219 on October 09, 2013, 09:40:12 AM

Exactly, I would like the game has only 2 Turret buildings. Machine Gun Turret Aka Great Fire rate and Mortar Turret aka Long range. :), these both turrets, if you combine them, they would do great job. Shells and bullets.

Hypolite

In my opinion, the current only turret is already wayyy over-powered for the setting. Granted, they don't have much more HP than regular colonists and explode on death but:
- They have a very good weapon even at the very beginning and can be upgraded. Good range, multiple shots, etc...
- They can be repaired while firing, whereas colonists have to stay in bed for a long time
- They cost much less than a colonist, spamming auto-turret seems to be an effective way to remove all narrative tension from the raiders.

The simple fact that GC13 could fly through a combat in high speed shows that he wasn't too much worried about raiders anyway ;)

I would place more emphasize on colonists and less on automatic turrets to increase dramatic tension.

Semmy

Quote from: Hypolite on October 09, 2013, 11:04:02 AM
In my opinion, the current only turret is already wayyy over-powered for the setting. Granted, they don't have much more HP than regular colonists and explode on death but:
- They have a very good weapon even at the very beginning and can be upgraded. Good range, multiple shots, etc...
- They can be repaired while firing, whereas colonists have to stay in bed for a long time
- They cost much less than a colonist, spamming auto-turret seems to be an effective way to remove all narrative tension from the raiders.

The simple fact that GC13 could fly through a combat in high speed shows that he wasn't too much worried about raiders anyway ;)

I would place more emphasize on colonists and less on automatic turrets to increase dramatic tension.

I completely agree.
So maybe the turrets should be made more expensive and harder to research like i said.
And certainly they should be late game. Or be made out of really special dangerous to mine materials.

Edmund Burke

Spike

Quote from: Hypolite on October 09, 2013, 11:04:02 AM

I think the turret (as it is) just needs to be part of a broad weapon tuning procedure.  Progression should be something like:

• Melee
  • Pistol
  • Rifle
  • Shotgun
  • Assault Rifle
  • Manned Turret
  • Auto Turret (current)
  • Future tech Pistol (energy, gyro, ramjet, etc)
  • etc

I also think ammunition should be assumed, except for heavy duty weapons like cannon or missile types.

GC13

Quote from: Hypolite on October 09, 2013, 11:04:02 AMThe simple fact that GC13 could fly through a combat in high speed shows that he wasn't too much worried about raiders anyway ;)
I have, pretty much, zero concern for raiders as the game is implemented right now. The turrets are helpful, but the fact of the matter is that I usually outnumber the raiders, and later in the game I have better guns too. Combine that with the fact that I'm behind cover, and losing my turrets to a solar flare isn't a big deal.

If better guns had a Shooting skill requirement, and you could only raise your Shooting skill by spending large amounts of time practicing rather than working (or worse: only in battle) then you'd be limited to having only certain colonists defending the colony (as it should be) who would in turn usually be outnumbered. It makes your turrets far more important, and would open the door for tactical considerations to be more important (including tactical retreat).

Semmy

Quote from: GC13 on October 09, 2013, 12:00:39 PM
Quote from: Hypolite on October 09, 2013, 11:04:02 AMThe simple fact that GC13 could fly through a combat in high speed shows that he wasn't too much worried about raiders anyway ;)
I have, pretty much, zero concern for raiders as the game is implemented right now. The turrets are helpful, but the fact of the matter is that I usually outnumber the raiders, and later in the game I have better guns too. Combine that with the fact that I'm behind cover, and losing my turrets to a solar flare isn't a big deal.

If better guns had a Shooting skill requirement, and you could only raise your Shooting skill by spending large amounts of time practicing rather than working (or worse: only in battle) then you'd be limited to having only certain colonists defending the colony (as it should be) who would in turn usually be outnumbered. It makes your turrets far more important, and would open the door for tactical considerations to be more important (including tactical retreat).

So basicly your problem should be countered by bigger/better equipped/statted raiders
Edmund Burke