Visitors from .... who cares

Started by Deimosiciv, April 29, 2015, 07:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deimosiciv

ok so I am barely alive on this god forsaken rock... yet somehow i get visitors OFTEN and not only do they visit they eat. 
Now not to wag the probability and possibility argument in a game.. but could any small settlement afford to send so many members on a  global tour?  Would survivors of any crash be so welcoming of (hungry) visitors? Just saying...

Homozygote

I'd like to see friendly visitors offer gifts to your starving colony. I mean, just the occasional stack of food if you're low when they happen to arrive. Maybe medicine too.

Kaballah

See the thing is, the vanilla game is almost never harsh enough to actually tempt you into ambushing visitors to take their food, gear, or the meat on their bones.  If you were totally out of food and about to starve to death you'd look at visitors entirely differently.  HELLO SO GLAD TO SEE YOU  ;D

The Uncanny Tranny

Considering all the visitors tends to be armed/armoured it's pretty safe to say they've been on the planet for some time coupled with the sheer amount of visitors kinda indicates a very developed colony.  Perhaps they're out scavenging or the like. Also, they bring/eat their own food so don't worry about their eating.

userfredle

Quote from: Kaballah on April 29, 2015, 08:04:22 PM
See the thing is, the vanilla game is almost never harsh enough to actually tempt you into ambushing visitors to take their food, gear, or the meat on their bones.  If you were totally out of food and about to starve to death you'd look at visitors entirely differently.  HELLO SO GLAD TO SEE YOU  ;D

This is awesome.

But i agree with whats been said they should bring somthing to the colony, A medicine pack or some raw vegetation or meat, just SOMTHING

Currently those events are so god awful boring and uneventful theyre just an annoyance to the player who likes to keep his notices clean

kaptain_kavern

Have you considered using Hospitality mod? It add the possibility to improve relationship and even try to convince them to take part of your colony.

This mod only do this and by using the already in-game mechanics (like recruiting a prisoner or when using the comm-link) so even the most mod averse can give it i try IMHO.

Also keep in mind that the game isn't finished yet ;) i bet Tynan had future plan for them

Kaballah

Conversely have you ever considered MarvinKosh's Harsher Biomes mod, which allows you to embark on Ice Sheet and makes the other "extreme" biomes (Tundra, Desert, Arid Shrubland) much harder to obtain food in:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8004.0

Listy

Quote from: Kaballah on April 29, 2015, 08:04:22 PM

I was getting desperate for gear, with several colonists armed with with nothing more than awful quality clubs and wooden shiv's. Most were wearing cloths in tatters, or had no clothes.
Then two visitors arrived, and fell asleep on the floor inside my colony.

I spent quite a bit of time agonising over whether to bash their heads in or not.

To be honest Visitors are a bit dull... Unless they arrive at the same time as another faction, with whom they have issues with. This can happen, and its much more entertaining when it does. So an increase in faction number on the world would be cool with more interactions between them.

I have wanted to do gladiatorial contests for my colonists amusement. Requesting military assistance from two factions that hate each other, just to see what happens when they both arrive.

rexx1888

i dunno if there is ever a situation where i want to piss off the locals.. they are annoying and blatantly insane.

they literally wander into your territory and then complain if you eat them.. then they send more food.. i mean people, to get shot an killed. An they just keep doing it, its bonkers.

Silvador

I've rarely found visitors an issue. Nine times out of ten they were just passing by anyway.

The only time any visitors were an "issue" was when I had one guard from an allying settlement inexplicably stop by... and never actually leave. The guy was a freeloader in all senses. He just hung around, ate my food and that was it. He did occasionally pitch in when raiders stopped by, though. In fact, it was during a raider attack that he died defending my colony.

Kegereneku

I have a WONDERFUL suggestion for you.

I don't think Tynan will do it before he lay all foundation for Diplomacy but the idea sound good.
In short :
- Ability to turn visitor into guest.
- Guest are your responsibility, they well being would have influence.
- If they liked it they might reward you.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: Kaballah on April 30, 2015, 12:26:02 AM
Conversely have you ever considered MarvinKosh's Harsher Biomes mod, which allows you to embark on Ice Sheet and makes the other "extreme" biomes (Tundra, Desert, Arid Shrubland) much harder to obtain food in:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8004.0

I've seen some screenshots of one of your colonies on RedistHead mod topic and i know you're not joking when you say "extreme" and "harder" ;)