Rimworld Zoo

Started by Hydromancerx, September 30, 2016, 11:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydromancerx

I am planning on adding a Zoo to my base but I am unsure how i should do it. Here the methods I have come up with ...

1. All animals are in one zone like a wild animal park. While this keeps them all in an animal zone it kinda messes up the whole zoo idea of different enclosures.

2. Using many zones. This works up to a limit. And while there is a mod that unlocks more you still run into a limit where the zone text runs off the screen.

3. Setting an animal to an area then deleting the zone. This only seems like it would work if there is no door so they cannot escape.I am also unsure how to feed them using this method. Maybe some sort of locking of doors?

4. Trapping wild animals. This means you do not need zones and doors lock behind them. I know you can injure the animal and then have them taken to an animal bed inside the cage. It also means I may be limited to only animals I find in the wild and cannot buy them from a trader.

What do you think? which method is best? You have another suggestion? Have you ever made a zoo? Or at least more than one animal pen?

WhyBorne

I think your best bet is to build structures, with doors, around wild animals as they sleep.

Mr.Cross

Perhaps you could have a couple of animals in a zone, so like desert animals in one area and jungle animals in another... alternatively perhaps you could try haveing a couple different animal zones with different speicies in them howevr break then zones up by 20 or 30 tiles, with no zone in between?
Claims to know most things.

Solomancer

This is a great question and a great post! Exactly the kind of rimworld discussion I like to read and learn from.  I'm excited to see what other players come up with. 

I've just started focusing more on the ranching, herding, and farm animal aspects of Rimworld, so I can't say I'm any expert, but I think a combination of 1 and 2 could work well.  Like having mostly herbivores in one enclosure with ample grass or plant food, while having carnivores in another enclosure (or possibly more than one - depending on how many zones are still available) and connect them all to a central fridge with meat stores for feeding and colonist access.

Why are the zones so limited in number?  The zone text running off the screen is one thing, but limited to the 5 or 6 zones we have (how ever many) is not enough... I've barely started dabbling into the animal side of Rimworld and already I'm in dire need of more animal zones.  I haven't gotten into any mods, but this is one of the things that should be revisited when there is time.

Jinxi

Mikhail Reign

If you use the conveyer belt mod you can transport food into locked/walled shut rooms. I've used it to have a cannible/psychopath cook/butcher who was walled into a bedroom/abattoir/kitchen just for human meat, to stop others from eating/seeing anything. Bodies go in one side, meals come out the other.