Animal rights and age limit for love and marriage

Started by muahah, December 28, 2017, 11:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muahah

1.) Animal rights

It just doesn't seem ok when someone because of bad mood starts randomly slaughter or beat up their own pets and animals. Who supports cruelty against animals? What does that teach to kids who play this game? I play this game in hard mode and it is supposed to be harsh survival game, but sometimes that gore and blood lust is just too much to comprehend. I'm not even huge about animal rights, nor vegan. I don't understand what could be any human reason and thinking to ever beat up or slaughter animals for fun or stress release? Even more, in real life if there is survival situation those pets and animals should be even more cherished as they are huge part of survival. Now I'm thinking about those distant, very poor, dirty countries where pets are kept chained as slaves, starved and beaten up daily just because their owners don't even have 2 class education. This is one of my favorite games from it's start, but for now I don't think that I will keep any animals in my colony.

I understand that creators wanted to make this game even harder to play, but how about these other options?
* When pets and house animals are treated bad (for example starvation, very dirty environment for long time etc.) then they could randomly leave map, rather than being lost by that random slaughtering or beating. Sometimes in player map randomly joins new ''free'' pack of pets. That could be one of reasons why they left their previous owners in search for better life. Threat those pets good or they will leave you.
* If pets or animals are hit or someone attempts to slaughter them, then they could at least try to save themselves by running away similar as wild animals do when they are hunted.
* Person in bad mood does not do more than one hit to any animal. Hitting animals because of bad mood adds negative regret and shame to their mood.

2.) Age limits for love and marriage

Some might say that love doesn't have limits, but still it is too weird when 80 year old goes with teenager.
* Maybe add in game love relationship limits as ''too old'', '' too young''. They can be best friends, but don't cross love relationship line. Maybe even add little plus for love relationship if their both age is somewhat same. Similar as it would be in real life (at least for vast majority).

Thank you!

jamaicancastle

In the unmodded game, there is no chance that a pawn will attempt to woo another pawn more than around 25-30 years older or younger than them, nor will any pawn attempt to woo anyone younger than around 17. (The actual math is slightly complicated, but that's the gist of it.) They are most likely to pursue pawns close to their own age, with men preferring partners up to 10 years younger and women up to 10 years older. Outside of that range, the odds steadily diminish until they hit the cutoff point.

Interestingly, a Beautiful pawn does actually have enough of a bonus to overcome some age-related penalties (but not the minimum age, which is probably for the best...)

As for animals, I'm curious why you would think people in the throes of a mental breakdown would obey a social construct like animal rights. What would be interesting to me is if a pawn's skills and capabilities influenced the odds of different breaks, e.g., a pawn with high Social is less likely to insult people, one with high Crafting is less likely to break things, one with high Animals is less likely to hurt animals - and conversely ones with low skills are more likely to go on the linked mental breaks.

Toragor

Quote from: muahah on December 28, 2017, 11:43:14 AM
1.) Animal rights

It just doesn't seem ok when someone because of bad mood starts randomly slaughter or beat up their own pets and animals. Who supports cruelty against animals? What does that teach to kids who play this game? I play this game in hard mode and it is supposed to be harsh survival game, but sometimes that gore and blood lust is just too much to comprehend. I'm not even huge about animal rights, nor vegan. I don't understand what could be any human reason and thinking to ever beat up or slaughter animals for fun or stress release? Even more, in real life if there is survival situation those pets and animals should be even more cherished as they are huge part of survival. Now I'm thinking about those distant, very poor, dirty countries where pets are kept chained as slaves, starved and beaten up daily just because their owners don't even have 2 class education. This is one of my favorite games from it's start, but for now I don't think that I will keep any animals in my colony.

I understand that creators wanted to make this game even harder to play, but how about these other options?
* When pets and house animals are treated bad (for example starvation, very dirty environment for long time etc.) then they could randomly leave map, rather than being lost by that random slaughtering or beating. Sometimes in player map randomly joins new ''free'' pack of pets. That could be one of reasons why they left their previous owners in search for better life. Threat those pets good or they will leave you.
* If pets or animals are hit or someone attempts to slaughter them, then they could at least try to save themselves by running away similar as wild animals do when they are hunted.
* Person in bad mood does not do more than one hit to any animal. Hitting animals because of bad mood adds negative regret and shame to their mood.

Some might say that love doesn't have limits, but still it is too weird when 80 year old goes with teenager.
* Maybe add in game love relationship limits as ''too old'', '' too young''. They can be best friends, but don't cross love relationship line. Maybe even add little plus for love relationship if their both age is somewhat same. Similar as it would be in real life (at least for vast majority).

Thank you!

Dude we have the possibility to harvest organs from people and let them bleed out or starve to death. Where is your complain about human rights there? Killing animals is not meant for fun, but as a type of mental breakdown. You know there are deranged people torturing animals, this is simulating that. But okay lets change it to "oh wait i'm mentally breaking down and going crazy, however I will obey animal rights and only start insulting fellow colonists in a politically correct manner instead" Breaking down means you are out of control of your actions, doing things you might not do on a clear mind. Who knows maybe that colonists has some deep subconscious animal aversions causing it. Btw. I simply arrested the colonist that was about to harm animals. Problem solved.

Limdood

This is your own personal or cultural taboo...there are many real life and historical cultures that not only allowed, but encouraged vast age differences in relationships.

in short, you're asking them to change a part of the game because you personally find it "icky" - its similar to the outcry over "gay" when it was implemented in game.  people had a personal problem with it, so they tried to demand it not be allowed.

Oh as far as your first point...people in real life kick, beat, or kill their animals in fits of rage (or just because they're horrible people).  Do what the rest of us do...when a pawn gets mental break -> slaughterer, you draft your other pawns and shoot or beat that pawn down (even an arrest attempt will change him from slaughterer to berserk...assuming the arrest isn't just successful)

Yoshida Keiji

...in real life we have people who kill animals even without going into mental breaks...

Anyone remembers Cecil?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Cecil_the_lion

grrizo

These moral restrictions exists now, in socially advanced nations. Time ago, was common that men married teenagers, or people killed animals just for money or survival.
Even now, in rural regions or even in less-advanced countries, these things still happens.

Said this, you gotta think that people from a space colony in the middle of nowhere would prioritize survival before social balance. And that in these kind of places, authoritharianism, depotism and cruelty would be very common.
That doesn't mean that social progressiveness didn't exist in the past. Just means that it wasn't very common in most societies.

It would be cool if Tynan could implement a policy tab allowing the player to foment a type of society and punishing behaviour that it's outside these policies? Of course, it would be awesome. But for now, we have what we have.
Lavish meal, now with extra Yorkshire terrier meat.

Icarus

this whole post
I'm going to kill some cute harmless animals very painfully and turn them into chemfuel just for you.

muahah

Quote from: Limdood on December 29, 2017, 10:34:14 AM

This is your own personal or cultural taboo...there are many real life and historical cultures that not only allowed, but encouraged vast age differences in relationships.

in short, you're asking them to change a part of the game because you personally find it "icky" - its similar to the outcry over "gay" when it was implemented in game.  people had a personal problem with it, so they tried to demand it not be allowed.

Oh as far as your first point...people in real life kick, beat, or kill their animals in fits of rage (or just because they're horrible people).  Do what the rest of us do...when a pawn gets mental break -> slaughterer, you draft your other pawns and shoot or beat that pawn down (even an arrest attempt will change him from slaughterer to berserk...assuming the arrest isn't just successful)

You are right, there are differences in different cultures. I come from part of world where pedophiles, abusers and rapists are greatly discouraged by everyone, put in jail for minimum 4 years, they will have trouble getting job in their later life and they will burn in eternal flames of hell. While in India, Africa and other country poorest regions girls (and sometimes boys) are force wed to whoever, even despite their government laws. Parents think that great if that man is older, which usually mean that he is more or less established in life and girls parents hope that he will be able to sustain their daughter for at least that time while he is still alive due hes much older age. Obviously because force married so young she will never be able to get her own life. In vast majority these girls are drawn out of schools and will never get any further education, they are abused everyday and locked to serving their husband and forced kids. Off course again - different cultures think differently what is and what is not abuse and happy marriage life. Yes, we are so different, there are also cultures who encourage rape and beat up girls and woman on streets. Because their culture. There is nothing much to compare with gay people if they both are grown up and choose to be together by their own will. Don't compare these two things.
Even if I'm very angry I can't imagine beat up animals. Go beat some wall or pillow. But then again there are so many different cultures. In some animals are still locked in chains and beat up everyday just because 'culture'.
While I see that this game base some of their choices from darkest places and situations of this world, and grown up people could at least partially understand some very painful and harmful choices that some other people might make in terrible survival situation - I still suggest to take second trough about what and how is shown in this game. Especially when it is played by so many kids.

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: Toragor on December 28, 2017, 04:42:38 PM
Dude we have the possibility to harvest organs from people and let them bleed out or starve to death. Where is your complain about human rights there? Killing animals is not meant for fun, but as a type of mental breakdown. You know there are deranged people torturing animals, this is simulating that. But okay lets change it to "oh wait i'm mentally breaking down and going crazy, however I will obey animal rights and only start insulting fellow colonists in a politically correct manner instead" Breaking down means you are out of control of your actions, doing things you might not do on a clear mind. Who knows maybe that colonists has some deep subconscious animal aversions causing it. Btw. I simply arrested the colonist that was about to harm animals. Problem solved.

This. No one's going to give a damn about something like animal rights when they are spending almost every waking moment fighting for survival. Any kind of laws or moral code you want your colonists to follow is something that you make up, and that you have to enforce yourself. I know that's grim, but that's how the game is supposed to be. And it's part of what makes the game so fun to play.

Jackalvin

I feel like I wouldn't care about animal rights if I saw my child get eviscerated by genetically engineered insects, and then seeing the dining room and everyone in it get shelled by napalm shells. Yeah, if the only way to keep a semblance of sanity was to kill a couple rats, I'd do it, probably...
-Insert Witty Joke Here-