Shotgun weddings / arranged marrages

Started by mumblemumble, August 20, 2016, 10:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

hmmm .. there where lots of shotguns on my weddings so far :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Kegereneku

We are not forced to follow history you know...

I still consider it would be a violation of the game concept to give that control to the players, this sort of addition should only come from a third party like the AI or events.
ex :
- Background-based, trait-based, or tottaly random social approval or disapproval from other pawns of outside marriage relationship.
- Outside faction trying a forceful marriage/kidnapping.
- (Un)reasonable Family.
- A colonist not understanding that no, mean no.
Anyway the whole concept can become very tricky because it's basically very close to "player enforced rape", and we would need the other pawns to acknowledge/rage better if you arrest or not the culprit to ban him. Devs would be walking on eggs, explosive eggs.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

mumblemumble

We aren't forced to follow history, nor any moral compass.

Also, control is a very interesting concept in rimworld.

We CAN control in rimworld : Plans for future, orders given, orders to kill people, ending pawns lives, jailing people, giving people medicine, purchases, trying to keep people happy, ect.

we CANT control in rimworld : Emotions people have, what people think of other, someones free will IF they choose to not obey force. (you can try to force someone to stop say, lighting fires, but they are free to try and kill your drafted person) how their bodies will respond to trauma / health issues, ect.

So in this scenario, we could give the ORDER, and give an ULTIMATUM to obey the order, but the order could be disobeyed, perhaps even with consequences of fleaing the colony, violence, ect.

If you call this CONTROLLING THE PAWNS, its no worse than any control we have right now, in the fact that they will disobey if its bad enough for them.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

SpaceDorf

Or throw a tantrum, maybe start a social fight.
You just brought domestic violence to the rim :)

---------

Completely different to the above.

I would marry my shotgun any day.

mumblemumble

I don't see why we shouldn't have it : I personally think rimworld would be the best if every element of life, no matter how grim, or how you feel about it, would be there.

As for forcing, we will get the choice to force people to do drugs next update, so why not this?

I think forcing someone to smoke crack every day is a LITTLE worse than an arranged marriage  by itself.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: mumblemumble on August 22, 2016, 04:07:51 PM
I don't see why we shouldn't have it : I personally think rimworld would be the best if every element of life, no matter how grim, or how you feel about it, would be there.

As for forcing, we will get the choice to force people to do drugs next update, so why not this?

I think forcing someone to smoke crack every day is a LITTLE worse than an arranged marriage  by itself.

well queue the "my wife" and "your mama" jokes ..

Kegereneku

Actually I've noted that everything we can "force" pawn to do are actions that do not change a pawn's "mentality".
For example : you can't force a non-violent colonist to use violence.
And ordering one to take beer don't give him the alcoholic trait, only make beer effect apply.
Or lastly ordering a pawn to arrest another one only retroactively imply a story happening, not create a personal grudge against the prisoner.

So... the original idea only stand if :
- If still don't actually influence the social interaction (meaning the pawn will break it or cancel it if it's still incompatible)
- There was several features linked (the events I talked about, or faction diplomacy)
- And if it meshed fluidly with all other interactions (by that I mean the social-system know how and why to enforce/break a forced marriage)

But even then it would stay a minor feature, only concerning those who care as there no real need for marriage to keep a colony working, not even if children were added to the game.
Polygamy or polyamory would make a greater addition as it happen naturally and can fit in easily.
-------
Write an Event

SpaceDorf

I actually have a polyamorous girl in my colony at the moment.
She is married and has a lover(her stepson), every few days she changes her mind with whom of both she wants to sleep :)

Funny enough the boys are still friends and only the husband(father) has a bad oppinion of his wife.
I check if that changes, when she sleeps again with her husband.

----

Back to "enforcing" weddings. Creating opportunities for Pawns to get together or keeping the Pawns away from each other so the don't end up in the hospital every other day sounds more like common sense to me than really "forcing" someone.

Think of those male/female cop-shows where everybody ends up married to each other after a few seasons.

Kegereneku

Wow...what a girl. (never had anything spicy on my side :-[ )
Space-future culture will probably be very alien to ours but I hope the probability of that happening are reasonable, even if it's biased toward contemporary culture, it just create more pseudo-realism.

I see what you mean about "encouraging". I think the Area system is the best you can do before crossing the line I described.
If you force them in an area, you still don't force them to like each other.
However we would have to make sure there's no "easy exploit" that (in-practice) would be no different than brainwashing.
-------
Write an Event

SpaceDorf

We allready have.
Just watch the rejection debuff stack while they try to woo each other.