Lumber zone

Started by Zombull, July 09, 2018, 01:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombull

To eliminate some micromanagement, add a new zone tool that lets the player designate an area of the map for lumber. The trees should not all immediately be marked to cut, though. Instead, the zone should provide a production bill system that lets the player specify which types of tree and production threshold similar to crafting tables.

AileTheAlien

You can get something similar to this, if you make a large grow-zone, and then disable sowing. You don't get to specify what trees, but your pawns will auto-harvest any trees which are fully grown.

Roolo

Quote from: AileTheAlien on July 09, 2018, 09:26:09 PM
You can get something similar to this, if you make a large grow-zone, and then disable sowing. You don't get to specify what trees, but your pawns will auto-harvest any trees which are fully grown.

I also use this method and it works fine. However, the mechanic isn't really obvious and I think it would help many players if a hint is included in the learning helper.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Roolo on July 10, 2018, 07:10:35 AM
Quote from: AileTheAlien on July 09, 2018, 09:26:09 PM

I also use this method and it works fine. However, the mechanic isn't really obvious and I think it would help many players if a hint is included in the learning helper.

True. I use the same method as well, but in no way would I expect anyone new to the game to figure that out early on.

Klomster

Agreed.

I usually just randomly cut trees i want, and choose a sorta close fertile soil area to put a tree growing zone with cecropias.

But it should be part of the tutorial.

AileTheAlien

Maybe harvesting doesn't happen per grow-zone, but instead is an 'area', like snow-clearing? If it defaulted to expanding that area on grow-zones, then it'd act like vanilla, but have one fewer button on the zone itself. See also, separating out different actions into different 'areas'.