Steam ?

Started by MattTheDamon, November 22, 2014, 10:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattTheDamon

I just found this game and I really want to buy it but I want to get it on steam.So my ? is is there any hint/word on when it will be released for steam.I know I will not get a key if I buy it now(missed that by ~ couple weeks).If it will be a year before it gets to steam I would like to buy it now but if I buy it now and it gets released in a week or a month I will be bummed.I would love to get a hint of soon or awhile from the dev maybe.It would really help out my decision.

Halinder

This has been discussed before, don't remember the topic, it was an alpha or so ago. If I remember correctly Tynan wasn't pleased with how Steam dealt with game updates, and since this game is updated frequently, wouldn't fit it well.

Mikhail Reign

Really? The guys doing space engineers don't seem to have any problem and that gets updated every Friday. PA gets updated every month.  Project Zomboid has both an official version as well as a public beta (IWBUMS - sing the 'versions' feature of steam) that gets regularly updated. The Escapests gets an update nearly every week. The Long Dark is just about every couple of week....

REMworlder

Honestly I wouldn't expect Rimworld on Steam at least until the next patch, and that will probably be some weeks from now since the call for public testing hasn't gone out (also because the patch will add a ton of content).

On the flip side, Valve asking Tynan to stop distributing Steam key promises is probably an indication Rimworld is nearing its Steam release date.

Reysuke

Steam wont allow to downgrade versions. and ppl stil playing a6 with or even a5 with mods.

Halinder

Quote from: Reysuke on November 23, 2014, 01:04:13 AM
Steam wont allow to downgrade versions. and ppl stil playing a6 with or even a5 with mods.

That's what it was, thank you.

Mikhail Reign

Yes it will. Simple have updated mods be listed as a beta. Select the beta from the list, game update/downdates to the selected version

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on November 23, 2014, 01:43:07 PM

Yes it will. Simple have updated mods be listed as a beta. Select the beta from the list, game update/downdates to the selected version

This is alpha, though...
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Evelyn

Crusader Kings 2 does the "old versions as beta" thing and it works really well. Even if it's an alpha version. Then again, CK2 is not in early access.

Quote from: StorymasterQ on November 23, 2014, 07:37:44 PM
This is alpha, though...

That's just being pedantic.

MattTheDamon

Well I went ahead and got it and am having lots of fun.Very awesome game.Hopefully Ty will give us a key when it comes out.

christhekiller

Tynan said it was because its difficult to go to older saves on steam. And each update typically isn't compatible with previous updates, for obvious reasons, and people'll start getting pissy if the colonies they have worked hard on suddenly aren't functional anymore with the game

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: StorymasterQ on November 23, 2014, 07:37:44 PM
Quote from: Mikhail Reign on November 23, 2014, 01:43:07 PM

This is alpha, though...

....which is just a word. There are plenty of other games that are still in development that use this feature to allow exactly this.

Tynan

There are other reasons to not rush it onto Steam. For example, I wanted it to be as good as possible for the larger player population on Steam. I prefer to refine it in front of a smaller, more dedicated audience.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

magicbush

Quote from: Tynan on November 24, 2014, 11:58:27 AM
There are other reasons to not rush it onto Steam. For example, I wanted it to be as good as possible for the larger player population on Steam. I prefer to refine it in front of a smaller, more dedicated audience.

Good to hear your not pulling a DF with EA :). I wish all indie devs would follow this rule and stop abusing Steams EA. Also I bought the game about 3 weeks ago will I still get a Steam key? When I bought it still said I would, but now people are saying it's been removed?

Tynan

Quote from: magicbush on November 24, 2014, 03:41:34 PM
Quote from: Tynan on November 24, 2014, 11:58:27 AM

Good to hear your not pulling a DF with EA :). I wish all indie devs would follow this rule and stop abusing Steams EA. Also I bought the game about 3 weeks ago will I still get a Steam key? When I bought it still said I would, but now people are saying it's been removed?

This promise was ended after November 4.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog