Methods of Victory

Started by Vas, February 27, 2014, 11:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vas

Another idea I have fresh in my mind that I don't want to forget.  Since the game currently has no victory settings, I think a few of my victory methods might help in planning future methods for winning.

1. Victory by Escape.  You have enough science research done, enough metal and food, and whatever other supplies you'd need, to build a space ship and leave.  This requires you to have the proper research done, and build the space ship.  If you have 10 colonists or less, you only need a small space ship, a 2x2 sized ship, or maybe 2x3 sized, anyway. If you have 25 or less, you need slightly larger, 3x3 or 3x4 (the extra square would be for engine on both of these), if you have 50 or less, you'd need a larger ship, 4x4 or 4x5.  50 or more and you need the largest ship you can get, 5x5 or 5x6.  Each one taking increasing amount of supplies.  You can always get the research done, and build 5 small ships, or kill off some of your colony to leave behind corpses resulting in a dishonorable victory.  But if you do save every colonist, you get a victory.  I guess it'd need to detect if a colonist died of starvation or other methods that weren't raider kills or accidents to tell you dishonorable victory, but anyway.  That's one method of victory.

2. Survive for one year, 365 game days.  This would result in a window popping up and saying "Your colony has survived for 1 year on this wasteland of a planet.  It is likely that it can continue on without your help any further, you have achieved victory today.  Do you wish to stay and continue anyway?"  Of course this won't disable the story telling AI, maybe things will just get more difficult, or maybe you can even select "Yes, make things more difficult" in the options of continuing for another year.
This also comes in alternate forms, where you must survive 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, whatever.  To let the player choose when they want to claim victory.  You can even set the victory options in creating the new colony, if you choose 3 month, then raiders will get progressively harder towards the 90 day mark.  Which they already do.  Hah.  Same with the other options.  One year is quite a long long time after all.

3. Successfully negotiated alliances with merc groups or raiders.  This means that you'll have achieved victory by convincing mercenaries to defend your fort for you, or even blast down raiders before they can even land on the planet.  Or maybe you convinced raiders not to come back anymore, in any number of ways including fear, bribery, or are a really good smooth talker.  This victory method won't work till after day 50, so you have to survive at least till day 50 before you can get a merc leader to randomly appear or even a raider leader.  It'd require you to send someone out as a diplomat, unarmed but maybe you can possibly set him up a suicide vest just in case.  Killing the raider leader would either inspire revenge or fear.  75% chance of revenge, 25% chance of fear, resulting in a victory if fear.  Resulting in an ohshit mess if revenge as 3 times more raiders show up and join the frey.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.