Show us your colony [Mega Thread]

Started by Celthric Aysen, April 06, 2014, 11:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neone

I think he Was talking to Technotica :)

daft73

Quote from: Neone on April 28, 2014, 02:30:29 PM
Possibly, though he refers to Hydroponics, I see none on the other base.. :o ::) ;)

daft73

Quote from: daft73 on April 28, 2014, 02:33:12 PM
Quote from: Neone on April 28, 2014, 02:30:29 PM
Possibly, though he refers to Hydroponics, I see none on the other base.. :o ::) ;)
lol forgot to scroll the screen..

number1gamer

Celthric Aysen

My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Technotica

I think he just invented a cloaking generator, that is even better than walls!

Tormentor

Welcome to Castle Doom

This is my colony @alpha3 using Random AI. Castle Doom is divided as follows: The outer court, living quarters, pantry, armory, the pitt, prison, mining-area, trading-services, gardens, kitchen, workshop, northern|western|southern gates.

*Every gate runs a security block which contains x3 explosives both inside and ouside.

*If one of the gates falls the outer court is protected by many auto-turrets + sandbags which helps the settlers at castle doom to fight from a distance. However if by any chance every single turret and sandbag is compromised, fighters can run back to the gardens, x3 explosives protect the entrance.

*OK...lets say 2000 raiders knock at the door and all this fails, well...Castle Doom its a place with many doors, this can be exploited to create many choke points. If however this labyrinth cant hold back an invasion, survivors can run down to the armory for a last stand. A large number of m16s, miniguns and m24s can be located there and fight to the last bullet.

*The Workshop is where settlers reprocess rock, debris and forge guns.
*The Pitt is where bodies are burned (there is however a graveyard south of the castle for fallen settlers)
*There are some big beds @living quarters for medieval lords only
*The pantry is where gatherers and plant-cutters can keep their resources (there is a stockpile inside the kitchen too, since the gardens are next to it)
*The mining-area is for coalmines which produce energy thanks to the energy-plants, several iron-mines are located here too
*The armory is the main stockpile for metal, copper ingots, uranium, stone blocks and guns (m16s,m24s and miniguns only). Everything is classified by groups here.

Sion

So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Garen

sorry for slightly off topic, but does anyone know what the artistic and plantwork disables stop?

Sion

This will be the last post from this colony, I need to get back to testing new alpha versions, However I will share the save file with you.

Bedrooms:
First we have the bedrooms, they are designed in such a way that every 1 door leads to 4 different rooms, the metal doors are supposed to be the main entrance, and the simple doors are there for faster sideways traversal (no need to go around).

Kitchen & Main Dining room:
Next we have the kitchen and dining room, the only special thing here is the storage area on top of the dining table, where the meals are stored, for super fast access when the colonists are hungry. also a comms console.

Hydroponics room:
With only 4 Sun Lamps I have managed to cover 48 Hydroponics Tables!!! in this version of RimWorld they are supposed to need electricity to work, but it works fine without electricity too, If i were to enable the electricity for all the tables the total power drain for the whole room would be a total of (40W*48 tables + 600W*4SLamps = 4320W) To put it in perspective, that's the total power of OR 1.2 OR 1 and a 5'ths Geothermal generator.
Luckily I have 3 Geothermal Generators.

Outside Food:
If that wasn't enough food for some reason I have cut away all Poverty Grass outside and let the Raspberry and Agave spread freely:

Mental Health Care:
Sometimes the colonists are a little unhappy (especially if you sell prisoners), so a mental healthcare facility has been constructed for them.

Spare Time Activity:
Sometimes it gets boring in the colony when there is nothing to do, therefore a dual training facility has been invented and created.
Here the colonists can both work on their aim and simultaneously create something that the other bored colonists can occupy themselves with, namely repairing witch trains their constructing speed.
The floor has been color coded so they know where the danger zone is (not really, because they are stupid), the blue carpet is meant to be the training zone, and the green is a safe zone.

Preparations:
Before an attack it is important that the colonists have suitable weapons for their shooting level, therefore this measure line have been created, if you look closely on the left side of the Power Conduit you can see that there are sideways 1x1 conduits with 5 tiles between, these are skill marks, the lowest Conduit (at the lowest UZI) symbolizes a skill level of 0 (zero) and the next above (5 tiles, at the M16) means a shooting skill level of 5, and so on.
The weapons have been per-determined to a skill level, and a stockpile containing that weapon type have been placed in that range, so the colonists just needs to grab the weapon on his/hers shooting  level.

This is my Minigun wielders, I currently have 6 of them.

General Security Strategy:
I'm using a defense tactic called Defense In Depth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_in_depth
I have several defense lines that I can fall back to if/when the current defense line are compromised

Outer Security:
This is my Kill Box (or as I like to think about it: Death's Cathedral because its so large).
The transparent Planing line is just to visualize at what range the colonists starts sending bullet swarms at the raiders.
This setup with walls and sandbags are really great, but only if the raiders comes straight at the defenders, that's why you need the box, the walls provides extra cover and splits the colonists vision, this lets them attack more raiders than if the walls wasn't there, because everyone would focus on the nearest raider and make him very VERY VERY! DEAD, while the others advance unharmed.
Also note the debris on the outside of the wall, makes the raider AI less eager to attack the walls because it's "harder" to reach.

Middle Security:
If the kill box are overrun or more likely: raiders drops from orbit on the "wrong" side (for me) of the kill box, I have an secondary defense line and 2 "bunkers" with self destruct in the middle if they too are compromised.
De left bunker uses a boom rat to show of their strength.

Inner Security:
The last line of defense is some blasting charges, after this line it's only indoor Guerrilla Warfare tactics left.

Body Disposal:
After the fights the colonists always (I) see dead people everywhere, so the bodies needs to perish as fast as possible,
As you can see in this picture the great Wizard Merlin are practicing on one of his Disappearing Acts :P

Prison:
My prison, nothing too special, I have some raw food inside so the prisoners can feed themselves, and if meals are available they can have some.
Nothing special about the prisoner, but you might be curious about the stats.

Overview:
And lastly an overview over the whole base:

I had to split the save file in 2 parts because of the upload limit at 300kb, you need both of them in the same folder before extracting, hopefully your extraction program are cleaver enough to extract it correctly, if not I can't help you, I used WinRAR to compress them.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Sion

Save file part 2:

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

sparda666

I tend to be a purist so right now Im not using mods

here is a full map

My favorite part is my Kitchen.
I have this assembly line that happens inside the giant walk in fridge.
Hunters haul animals to the meat fridge where butchers chop them up.
My Farmers grow berries and haul them to a veggie stockpile.
I have higher priority stockpiles of meat and veggies close to the chef's stations to make their cooking as efficient as possible while maintaining an aesthetic layout.
Completed meals get served to the bar where patrons eat.

Ive got a shooting range inspired by Sion. Shooters shoot at the stone wall that gets repaired by other colonists. The stalls give it a shooting range feel and the tables prevent repairers from pathing into the line of fire.

My killbox is not fancy. I have a semicircle of sandbagged stone walls to keep the invaders surrounded  and in clear visibility with the lamps in the middle while keeping my soldiers concealed in darkness (screencap was taken during solar flare). The tiny supports can also be shot down to drop large amounts of rubble on invaders.

Dr. Z

So my base itself is not very impressive yet, but with what maybe one aof the smartest base defenses ever I used a few walls to split the map in three parts, so if raiders come from the west or the south-east they wont reach me unless they make it through my 1000 or 2000 HP stonewalls because I think of doubelling them.

My hope is that many animals in one part get mad (sad I'm not on Rany Random, he gave me mad squirrels every two days) and when the raiders come they get killed by the animals.

I'm very exited how this will work.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Architect

And what do you intend to do if they drop on the bit that's on your side of the wall? :P
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

Dr. Z

Quote from: Architect on May 01, 2014, 08:27:18 AM
And what do you intend to do if they drop on the bit that's on your side of the wall? :P

Then I will kill them OR use the mad faces of my colonists to scare them so much that they jump over the walls and be happie not to be my colonists range any more.
Prasie the Squirrel!