[A17] Vegetable Garden [8/22/17]

Started by dismar, May 07, 2015, 10:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ultimatron14

A few suggestions:
Cassava: A very nutritious, high-yield root that grows in tropical and subtropical regions, drought tolerant and able to grow in poor soils. Can be ground into flour or brewed into alcohol. Cannot be eaten raw. Long growing season. Spoils quickly if unprocessed or preserved. (NOTE: Real cassava takes a process of peeling and soaking the roots for days in water to remove toxins inside. Not sure what to do about that)
Millet: High nutrition grain that can grow in bad soil and arid environments. Can be ground into flour. Short growing season. Cannot be eaten raw.
Taro: Medium nutrition vegetable that grows in tropical climates. Grows best in water, but takes longer (More than a year IRL), otherwise grows with a medium length growing season. Very wide culinary use.
Breadfruit: Medium nutrition, very high-yield tree that grows in tropical climates. Wide culinary use.
Cantaloupe: Lower nutrition, high-yield fruit that grows in warmer temperate/subtropical climates. Joyfully sweet. Longer growing period.

Just thought these may add a bit more variety. Thanks, and keep up the good work!

onerous1

Hi, Dismar.

I would like to edit my Vegetable Garden files in order to make certain crops persist after harvesting and through the winter month(s), mainly gooseberries, cloudberries, grapes, strawberries, hops, and blueberries. I'm using Seeds Please - Vegetable Garden edition and am finding it difficult to sustain my community if certain plants constantly need seeds to regrow. I'd appreciate some advice on how to add that to my game. Thanks.

Canute

Then you should blame "seeds please" to give out more seeds.
Or alternate let a better skilled pawn harvesst, this increase the chance and/or the amount of seeds.

CyberFox

Hi thanks for the great mod. I however get this warning (development log)-

"Config error in RawCarrots: joy > 0 with no joy kind
Verse.Log:Warning(String)
Verse.DefDatabase`1:ErrorCheckAllDefs()
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke(Object, Object[], Exception&)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:Invoke(Object, BindingFlags, Binder, Object[], CultureInfo)
System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[])
Verse.GenGeneric:InvokeStaticMethodOnGenericType(Type, Type, String)
Verse.PlayDataLoader:DoPlayLoad()
Verse.PlayDataLoader:LoadAllPlayData(Boolean)
Verse.Root:<Start>m__735()
Verse.LongEventHandler:RunEventFromAnotherThread(Action)
Verse.LongEventHandler:<UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent>m__733()"

This is the only mod active. This is at the startup screen before creating new game

onerous1

Quote from: Canute on January 01, 2017, 04:14:37 AM
Then you should blame "seeds please" to give out more seeds.
Or alternate let a better skilled pawn harvest, this increase the chance and/or the amount of seeds.

Let me be clear. I'm not blaming Vegetable Garden for balancing issues. I would like to have those crops to persist after harvesting regardless of the problems with Seeds Please. Blueberries grow on bushes and shouldn't be destroyed when harvesting. I'm adding gooseberries and cloudberries to that list. Mushrooms have an extensive root system underground that survive the cutting of the caps. Grapevines produce grapes year after year with proper pruning.

I'm not asking Dismar to add this to the game. I'm asking for some assistance on how to add this to my game so I can tailor it to my liking.

kunyomi

Hows this game in terms of balance compared to vanilla?
I'm not talking about the obvious stuff like the neutro-farming flower, I like having a sense of scarcity in the game but I've enough self-control to simply not plant that stuff.
Are the food crops similar to vanilla crops in terms of growth time-yield ratios, nutrition and so on, or do they make the "lesser" stuff redundant?
I like how much variety this mod introduces, but it'd be sad if it simply shifts the small group of available crops to a different small group as the tier system in the first post implies.

Canute

This mod made it easyer to feed your pawns.
Not only at the late game with fruit trees which give out high nut. fruits.
Even on beginning with Grilled steak/veg. cooking recipe, which are more effectiv then simple meals (10 meat give 2 x 0.6 nut steaks).
Better food got side effects too, like increased movement,manipulatio or blood filtration.

You can made the ground more productive too, which is not that good like hydroponic but need far less power (just the sunlamp).

If you just like to feed your pawns with Nutripaste dis. you don't need this mod. But if you like to cook, give it a try.

dismar

Quote from: CyberFox on January 01, 2017, 06:12:44 AM
Hi thanks for the great mod. I however get this warning (development log)-

"Config error in RawCarrots: joy > 0 with no joy kind"

It's a minor error. I have already fixed it in the steam version of the mod. so in the next update for the forums you won't see it any more.

Quote from: onerous1 on January 01, 2017, 03:56:59 AM
Hi, Dismar.

I would like to edit my Vegetable Garden files in order to make certain crops persist after harvesting and through the winter month(s), mainly gooseberries, cloudberries, grapes, strawberries, hops, and blueberries. I'm using Seeds Please - Vegetable Garden edition and am finding it difficult to sustain my community if certain plants constantly need seeds to regrow. I'd appreciate some advice on how to add that to my game. Thanks.

There are some good idea's here tho. I am putting some thought into some of these! So let me test some things first.

Quote from: kunyomi on January 01, 2017, 12:12:33 PM
Hows this game in terms of balance compared to vanilla?
I'm not talking about the obvious stuff like the neutro-farming flower, I like having a sense of scarcity in the game but I've enough self-control to simply not plant that stuff.
Are the food crops similar to vanilla crops in terms of growth time-yield ratios, nutrition and so on, or do they make the "lesser" stuff redundant?
I like how much variety this mod introduces, but it'd be sad if it simply shifts the small group of available crops to a different small group as the tier system in the first post implies.
As you research up to the new crops, They are better in different ways. A lot of the crops have unique properties: such as snow beets won't die in the cold, beans can be turned into an amazing amount of things, and fruits have twice the nutrition. The old stuff is not redundant per say. The higher tier has more uses and higher nutrition. As the lower tiers have their own properties that can still make you want to use them. Such as fast-growing rice and high yield corn.
Plus even if you never research any of the new crops. You still have so much this mod does for you.

But hey you can play this whole game just growing rice. This is just a fun choice.

vlad_1492

dismar

Quote from: vlad_1492 on January 01, 2017, 09:10:21 PM
Mushrooms and compost need light?

yes, plants and how they grow are hard coded into the game.

dismar

Version 5.3c ! Update 10.
Change Log :
1/1
- mass!! (most of the items have had their mass adjusted finally!)
- description clean up
- medicine balanced and fixed
- Cloudberries and Gooseberries now cold weather!

12/31
- breakdown removed from loom and small hydro tables

12/30
- flour recipe description updated
- Glitterworld Medicine recipe added back! (at drug lab)

12/29
- Meal thoughts missing added back!
- Soil cost for Reclaim added.

12/27
- Alcohol nutrition removed

12/25
- Carrots def updated
- Smelt plant recipes had old description
- Polenta recipe had an old value

And thank you ultimatron14 I am looking into those.

Canute

Quote12/29
Geeeshhh, 25 fertilizer.
What do you think about to add a campfire recipe for "cremate into fert." ?
Need more work 50 because a campfire don't burn that hot and you need more attention and only half result. But refil the campfire a bit.

Thundercraft

@ dismar
I don't know if anyone has reported this yet, but:

Vegetable Garden conflicts with the Tilled Soil mod. Specifically, both your "garden soil" and Tilled Soil's "tilled soil" use <defName>SoilTilled</defName>. This means that players can only use one or the other, depending on which mod is loaded last.

This is unfortunate. And it confuses players who expect to find either "garden soil", "tilled soil" or both.

All it would take to fix this issue is to rename the <defName> for your "garden soil" to something else, like <defName>GardenSoil</defName>. Indeed, that is what some players are doing to fix this (assuming they are comfortable mucking about with .XML files). And I think it should be "garden soil" that gets a <defName> change, since Tilled Soil is a very old mod that has been around at least since Alpha 10.

Quote from: dismar on January 01, 2017, 10:11:23 PM
- mass!! (most of the items have had their mass adjusted finally!)
Thanks for this!

- Cloudberries and Gooseberries now cold weather!
Nice! I was actually thinking of modding my own cloudberries and other cold climate stuff.

12/29
Quote from: Canute on January 02, 2017, 04:15:14 AM
Geeeshhh, 25 fertilizer.
What do you think about to add a campfire recipe for "cremate into fert." ?

I agree that 25 fertilizer seems a bit much. It takes forever and a whole lot of fertilizer to reclaim a sizable piece of land.

Using a campfire to burn wood into wood ash and leeching that in large pots into potash would be one way to fertilize. However, that would still require both a lot of work and a lot of valuable resources. And imagine trying to reclaim a lot of land on a biome that doesn't have many trees, like a Desert...

Instead, I feel that the best way to handle soil reclamation is a combination of fertilizer and dug up Dirt. That is, I think it should take placing a certain amount of easily harvested and free dirt and maybe a small amount fertilizer. To harvest Dirt, I'm suggesting that dismar borrow code from cuproPanda's CorePanda. Specifically, this:
QuoteDirt/Clay/Sand/Gravel: Natural resources dug up from terrain patches. Gravel/Sand/Clay can be grinded down at a stonecutters table or at a quern.

Borrowing his code is no problem because cupro's mods are licensed as Public Domain. Also, he's not maintaining them anymore.

Edit:

I noticed that your OP only has an A15 download for Soda Garden. Perhaps it should be updated to mention your Soda Garden alpha 16 on Steam and, perhaps, have an A16 dropbox download?

Trigon

Man, I do miss the corepanda ability to make sandbags out of actual sand. But yeah, at the very least fertilizer "plants" are pretty high yield. I haven't yet used the butchery table to make fertilizer though so I can't say how effective that is.

dismar

I don't know if anyone has reported this yet, but:

Vegetable Garden conflicts with the Tilled Soil mod. Specifically, both your "garden soil" and Tilled Soil's "tilled soil" use <defName>SoilTilled</defName>. This means that players can only use one or the other, depending on which mod is loaded last.

Honestly I've known about this since the first day tilted soil was posted. I have no plan on changing it, as messing with the def would cause every saved game that has the soil to turn to sand.

And honestly why use both mods? If you are using my mod you don't need this. And if you are using soil only your not running mine.

I agree that 25 fertilizer seems a bit much. It takes forever and a whole lot of fertilizer to reclaim a sizable piece of land.
I am just going to lower it

I noticed that your OP only has an A15 download for Soda Garden. Perhaps it should be updated to mention your Soda Garden alpha 16 on Steam and, perhaps, have an A16 dropbox download?
I just haven't added it here yet. There are a few of my mods not updated on the forums but on steam.

i'm looking at other ways to to "fix" the soil / fertilier issues. thanks, I enjoy our talks :)