Combat Slow-down

Started by Calistyn, September 07, 2014, 09:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparda666

I think the combat slow-down is good, as it lets you know that bad things are happening. however, the fact that it locks the game speed I think is one problem.

I think it should slow down the game like it currently does, but allow you to change the speed back if you want.

Matthiasagreen

Quote from: Tynan on September 07, 2014, 09:23:09 PM
There is no way to do so now, but I hear what you're saying about the sieges. I may reconfigure how it works if this is a common problem (e.g. disable it for artillery, at least after the first shot or two).

Tynan: always quick to listen and deliver! Thanks for the fix man!
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

milon

Mortar shells don't cause forced slow down anymore

StorymasterQ

Quote from: milon on September 10, 2014, 06:27:22 PM
Mortar shells don't cause forced slow down anymore

Quoth the Changelog of our Lord Tynan:
Sept 10

• Artillery no longer forces time speed to normal.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

mrofa

Dunno i would prefer it to stay, as much as its annoying i agree with tynan on this, you will miss ALOT.
Its mostly the little things but after a while they sum up abit.

My small suggestion that mortar would slow down the game but only when it hits and damage something of colony.

All i do is clutter all around.

milon

@mrofa, that would be an after-the-fact notification.  Personally I like to see things as-they-happen.

@Tynan, what about adding a klaxon or other mortar incoming sound effect that plays no matter where you've panned to on the map?  I suggest the trigger for the sound to be when 1) the shell blast radius will affect a Home Region or colonist-built space and 2) the shell is 2-ish seconds away.

Sir Wagglepuss III

So long as there is an initial pause and alarm when the siege is being set up, that should be enough.

If you overlook that big siren, big red envelope and half your screen flashing red... You kinda deserve those mortars landing on your face.

Seriously, watching anybody overlook or disregard one of those envelopes without checking its contents deserve whatever is coming to them.

noob70

I know this an older thread, however, I don't think it necessary to start a new one. I have a suggestion, it is simple: replace combat slow-down with a one-time pause. That way you get the warning and then can just continue as usual. The combat slow-down late game, especially, usually is the primary reason I stop playing. It is just bizarre that it is forced on you for so long sometimes. I get the feature being around but it should be something you can just click off. This is a superb game and I have no other complaints, you have allowed a lot of control for us players except on this.  Thank you. If there is a solution, I'd love to know it.

P.S. I see all the comments on mortal shells, this problem extends well beyond the mortars. It is more about having the speed locked and thus limiting control for the player. A one-time pause or slow-down would be more than enough. Locking the speed is almost painful.

Alenerel

Stop playing? Dude, just use mods. Smart speed is what you want and need. I also wanted this, a one time pause, and this mod does that.