We need a new tech tree....

Started by TheSoloGamer, January 13, 2017, 09:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSoloGamer

Right now, Rimworld seems pretty dull in the research side. You can't have too many mods, or the tech tree will run out of room, you need a lot of mods to make research worth it, without it just being "Oh, all my colonists are doing nothing. Send them to the pits of research!"

What Tynan/Ludeon Studios/Modders should implement
The current tech tree needs more space, so i propose a scrollable tech tree, not just left/right, but up/down too. This would make the game more modding-friendly. Also, the vanilla tech tree should be a bit more complicated. Right now, the tech tree is mostly bare space without mods, and with mods it is a cluster**** of tech where there is 1500 lines going everywhere, with 1600 off the screen.
I, and most people who use mods often, would love a tech tree that is bigger, prettier and organized

KEBW1144

I second this would love to see you be able to click empty space and drag to move around the tech tree defiantly needs something to deal with the space issue

BlackSmokeDMax

Fluffy's research tree is what you are looking for. Watch a recent lets play of someone using the HardcoreSK modpack. It scrolls left/right/up/down. It even has research queuing similar to Civ research where you can shift click to set multiple research goals. It was last in CCL a few alphas ago. Not sure if Fluffy helped update it for HardcoreSK or if Sky did that, so no idea if there will ever be a stand-alone version.

Screenshot:

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Xevion

Quote from: TheSoloGamer on January 13, 2017, 09:10:20 PM
Right now, Rimworld seems pretty dull in the research side. You can't have too many mods, or the tech tree will run out of room, you need a lot of mods to make research worth it, without it just being "Oh, all my colonists are doing nothing. Send them to the pits of research!"

What Tynan/Ludeon Studios/Modders should implement
The current tech tree needs more space, so i propose a scrollable tech tree, not just left/right, but up/down too. This would make the game more modding-friendly. Also, the vanilla tech tree should be a bit more complicated. Right now, the tech tree is mostly bare space without mods, and with mods it is a cluster**** of tech where there is 1500 lines going everywhere, with 1600 off the screen.
I, and most people who use mods often, would love a tech tree that is bigger, prettier and organized
No left and right, but zooming out and being able to click & drag is a better solution.
I really, really don't like using scroll tabs, especially in-games.