A16 Wanderlust - Need help to really enjoy the late game

Started by GGTrigger, January 24, 2017, 10:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiggyBacon

With the amount of mods out there and playing with Cassandra extreme/perma-death anything is possible. Except good AI drones....that is the one thing I long for. That and Cassandra actually being nice late game but some things just aren't meant to be.

O Negative

There's just no way to get that satisfying "I did it" feeling in the late game, because it's designed to pressure you to get off the planet. At least, not for me. Raids will always only get bigger, and that's why I don't play as much as I would like to :/

I hope for future systems which add late game advantages to the game (defeating raids actually impacts raider colony population, for example), or even perma-colony win conditions. Defeating the scum on the planet, ending mechanoid production, etc. That's just me though.

Limdood

Quote from: O Negative on January 24, 2017, 11:04:43 PM
There's just no way to get that satisfying "I did it" feeling in the late game, because it's designed to pressure you to get off the planet. At least, not for me. Raids will always only get bigger, and that's why I don't play as much as I would like to :/

I'm assuming you're NOT building the ship in this case.  So...if you're NOT building the ship for the "i win" (btw, the sea ice community challenge thread certainly makes building the ship feel like "i win!!!!!!"), then it stands to reason that your "winning" is staying on the planet.

Since winning becomes staying on the planet, you're really saying that winning = not losing.  Assuming you're not going to play the game for eternity to check and see if you accomplished your goal, you will likely reach a point where you realize "there's really no way I can lose at this point...I can deal with any threat the game throws at me with inconsequential losses."

Since you redefined the "win" condition away from launch the ship to a much harder to define "i live" - then that point where you realize "i can't be beaten" IS your win condition.  What difference does it make if the pirate factions exist if they pose no threat?

If you're aiming for an "I WIN!" feeling, I encourage you to try a scenario that sets the difficulty such that building the ship is actually so hard that it feels like winning.

Grishnerf

you set your own win conditions. sometimes that even means not winning at all, it just means to enjoy the ride.

mine is :
not to use turrets or mortars, traps,
just colonists for defending, no killbox, no maze etc..

game plays alot different with this setup, and you never will be reach a point where you are save.
50 tribal raids with a open base layout (like normal town) and no entrances/killbox makes the whole game
much more enjoyable and harder (for me) . -> urban warefare, each raid demolishs half the base, you will get troubles even as experienced Player. you will lose pawns.
now take in some mods like glittertech with commando, federation factions, and you are fucked when they drop into your base.

if you reach a Point where your base is not beatable anymore, i would suggest using some mods or limit yourself/ certain start conditions to make it harder.
simple as that. the Beauty of rimworld is when chaos unfolds, not when everything is automated and stable.

PS: i got bored after my first 3 bases where i still learned the game and used kilboxes.
vanilla raiding + killbox = non existent threat = boring

Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

kenmtraveller

First time poster here, but I have hundreds of hours logged with this game.  I always play Randy Extreme, crash survivors.

In A16, I decided to forgo the 'build a spaceship' win (succeeded with it once in A16) , I am currently trying to win by reaching the hidden AI spaceship.
What I've done is to turn up the max colonies to 5, and I am trying to win by establishing a series of colonies 66 map tiles apart (max drop pod range) on the way to the ship, which is far away on an ice sheet.  I've got my second colony pretty much well set up, and I'm about to start my third.  So far I've managed to stay in temperate forest zones but I'll soon have to cross harder climate zones on the way to the goal.

Colony 1 just has a skeleton crew harvesting wood for chemfuel and growing corn behind very good defenses;  I regularly export to the second colony to keep the wealth down at the first.  I'm still doing all my research at this base.

Colony 2 has most of my colonists, and just got its base built out , and also has 2 muffalo and 2 dromedaries in case I decide to use an actual caravan.  It's gearing up to launch my best 3 colonists to begin establishing colony 3.  Colony 2 currently relies exclusively on thermal generators (2 of them) for power.

Looking at the map, colony 3 will also be in a temperate zone.  I don't know yet whether the performance hit from running 3 colonies simultaneously will force me to abandon colony 1.  I also don't know whether abandoned colonies count against the 5 colony limit;  if they do I will have to complete part of the journey with caravans, which I'm avoiding because I hear they are buggy and the drop pods are pretty easy.
This way of playing is super fun;  splitting up your colonists allows for easier recruitment at each base and also keeps raid sizes down.

As an aside, I just got an infestation on map 2, even though I was careful not to dig out any underground areas -- I just constructed against the edge of the mountain, except for a few single tiles here and there which I'm pretty sure I fully replaced with stone walls.  I thought this was impossible!  I guess I'll go back to my 'construct a huge unused unlit area in the mountain for infestation bait' scheme.  Fortunately for me, it happened in an area with no active pawns and I was able to relocate turrets for a good killzone and bait out the bugs.

Ken