[Mod Request] Programmable computers for automated base management

Started by Terra1, September 19, 2019, 06:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terra1

It would be great if there was a mod which allowed you to create actual programs using some form of simple scripting language to automate your base. For example, you could automatically open/close doors at certain times, or automatically open a cryptosleep casket after a certain amount of time.
For balancing, each computer would consist of several separate "modules", which would affect the performance of the computer, for example, a "processing module" would increase the speed that you can set the computer to run at, and a "data module" would increase the size of a script.
In addition, there would be "colonist interaction peripherals" or "CIPs" that would allow colonists to interact with the computer, for example, a colonist could press a button CIP to send a signal to the computer to open a door, or a colonist could walk through a "colonist scanner" CIP to automatically send a colonist's skills and passions to the computer so it can automatically assign work priorities.

Any opinions? Is this practical?

aRandomKiwi

It looks interesting, in short endow RimWorld with an ingame easy scripting language and/or event engine like the one in Space Engineers ?
With scripts invoked by events (colonists actions,...), or running in background (interpreted each x ticks), and scripts stored in game buildings (servers).
Some applications :

• Automatically close a set of doors when threat detected
  • Automatically power-on turrets on threat detected then turn them off
  • Light animation (RP/candy eye effect) like in airstrip or in Alien film ship corridors

Does someone see more concrete applications ?

Canute

A few things you describe you can do with
Power Logic
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=27768.0
But it is far away from a script tool and don't work's for pawn's only structures.

Hjkma

A few applications that I miss in the game.

- When the batteries are running out, then disconnect all electrical devices, except those that are added to the filter.
- When raiders die, automatically allow their bodies.
- When drugs get on the map, automatically forbid them.
- When the plants are fully grown in hydroponics, turn off the sun lamps.
- When pawns are in the room and they are sleeping, turn off the lamps in the room.
- When an animal with the right amount of meat or higher is on the map, it is marked for hunting.
- When there is an animal on the map with the desired characteristic of movement or carrying capacity, then it is marked for taming.
Also, if possible, you can make pawns control management (you can make a speaker or give headphones to pawns so that they listen to orders). Then the following applications open up:

- When the threat is on the map, pawns with weapons and a combat skill higher than 5 are automatically drafted and go to positions. And all the others go to the bunkers until the battle is over.
- When the caravan is on the map, you can automatically attack them or send the best merchant to them.
- When there is a prisoner with the necessary skill, then diplomats will recruit him.

Canute

Quote- When the batteries are running out, then disconnect all electrical devices, except those that are added to the filter.
Or maybe use some power mod, that reduce the power need of unused tables.

Quote- When raiders die, automatically allow their bodies.
So your hauling pets/bot run out to haul them into the freezer and get killed ?

Quote- When drugs get on the map, automatically forbid them.
And why not let silber rot outside so you loose wealth at that way too? :-)
Look's like you got a problem with drugs and maybe pets ?

Quote- When the plants are fully grown in hydroponics, turn off the sun lamps.
Curiouse, my plant's never are full grown at the same time, since i use different plant's under a sunlamp.
Maybe try out Dub's skylight mod (or advanced roofs), for transparent roof, then you don't need sunlamps.
Or Rimfactory, then the cultivator auto. harvest and replant plants.

Hjkma

Canute,
QuoteOr maybe use some power mod, that reduce the power need of unused tables.
lamps do not turn off in these mods. And other devices, too, not workbenches.
QuoteSo your hauling pets/bot run out to haul them into the freezer and get killed ?
Then add another condition when all the raiders are dead or downed.
QuoteAnd why not let silber rot outside so you loose wealth at that way too? :-)
When undressing raiders, drugs are allowed.
QuoteCuriouse, my plant's never are full grown at the same time, since i use different plant's under a sunlamp.
Another condition, if 95% or more of the plants have completely grown, then turn off the sunlamp. And I forgot that the plants do not grow at night, then make another filter, that the sunlamps turn off at night.

P.S. If the mod is done, it will be like List Everything meets Colony Manager.

Canute

Quotethen make another filter, that the sunlamps turn off at night.
Vanilla sunlamps turn off at night.
Maybe you use the 24h version from some mod, but they use less power then if i recall right.

Quotelamps do not turn off in these mods. And other devices, too, not workbenches.
I mention Power logic before

Capacitor Sensor Switch
Monitors stored power levels, and turns off when power gets to the set 'low' point, and back on again when it reaches another set 'high' point.

I didn't used it yet, but it sounds like these feature.
Maybe combine it with the paralel power grid mod. So you have 2 power grids, one is allways on, the other is switched off when the battery capacity run below x%.

Hjkma

Another application. Area Management.

When the raiders are on the map, for those who are assigned to the "Animal" area, change the allowed area to "AnimalSafe", for those who have an unlimited area and who do not have weapons, change the area to "Bunker".