Post-verification answers for nonenglish-speakers

Started by Arnold Rimmer, September 05, 2016, 04:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold Rimmer

Please re-think the post-verification answers.
"You cool a room with an air _______:" neither "condition" nor "cooler" works there.
Help the non-native english-speakers to contribute to the forum :)

I am not asking to get rid of the system, just make the valid answers less language-specific.
[Insert combination of words here]

MikeLemmer

If it helps, us English speakers find them troublesome as well. I'm not sure why Tynan's post-verification is so complex; I don't recall another forum that needed 2 verification questions, let alone 5.

14m1337

the solution is "conditioner"
condition -> something's status, i.e. the air is cool
conditioner -> something that changes the status of something else

yeah, english is quite weird, especially if it's not your native language, or if you don't want to invest some time in learning the language ... compare these german and english words:
(ger) Mord = (en) murder: the action to kill someone
(ger) Mörder = (en) murderer: the person, who kills someone

it's the same as everywhere: some things can be really confusing if you don't know them exactly :D

tbh: I had to do 2 minutes of research and some tries to find out that the correct answer here is "conditioner"
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

Scalare

Quote from: Arnold Rimmer on September 05, 2016, 04:11:14 PM
Please re-think the post-verification answers.
"You cool a room with an air _______:" neither "condition" nor "cooler" works there.
Help the non-native english-speakers to contribute to the forum :)

I am not asking to get rid of the system, just make the valid answers less language-specific.
Why not make it non-english entirely? That way no bot will be able to complete it :).

Arnold Rimmer

Scalare, that is actually a good idea. (I am bending it a little)
The questions and answers could be provided by the translationteams.
Then, based on ones forum-language-setting, one would get PVQA's
in ones own language, easy to understand and easy to answer.

(I just noticed that those Questions do not appear EVERY time i post
something, is that an intended behaviour or a glitch?)
[Insert combination of words here]

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Arnold Rimmer on September 08, 2016, 02:17:37 AM

There's a limit. Once you pass that limit you won't see the verification questions ever again. :)
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Scalare

Quote from: Arnold Rimmer on September 08, 2016, 02:17:37 AM
Scalare, that is actually a good idea. (I am bending it a little)
The questions and answers could be provided by the translationteams.
Then, based on ones forum-language-setting, one would get PVQA's
in ones own language, easy to understand and easy to answer.

No, I think others should feel the same discrimination as us foreigners do :P. Just have people from Canada and the USA answer questions in chinese before being allowed to post.

Muffalo muffalo Muffalo muffalo muffalo muffalo Muffalo muffalo

14m1337

Quote from: Scalare on September 08, 2016, 07:57:18 AM
No, I think others should feel the same discrimination as us foreigners do :P

you gotta see this from another angle: this stumbling blocks make sure, that the people who want to post here have a minimum knowledge of the english language. they're at least able to look for the correct answers on google, and don't post complete nonsense here.
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.

Scalare

Quote from: 14m1337 on September 08, 2016, 01:31:35 PM
Quote from: Scalare on September 08, 2016, 07:57:18 AM
No, I think others should feel the same discrimination as us foreigners do :P

you gotta see this from another angle: this stumbling blocks make sure, that the people who want to post here have a minimum knowledge of the english language. they're at least able to look for the correct answers on google, and don't post complete nonsense here.

Google has had support for other languages since the early beginnings, as does Rimworld.

sausage_toes

The primary colors are red, green, and ______:

When did green become a primary color? Has my public school education failed me yet again by teaching Red, YELLOW and Blue as the primary colors?

Jaxxa

Quote from: sausage_toes on September 08, 2016, 09:14:35 PM
The primary colors are red, green, and ______:

When did green become a primary color? Has my public school education failed me yet again by teaching Red, YELLOW and Blue as the primary colors?

Depends if you are dealing with Subtractive Colour such as Paint/Printing or Additive Colour like a Computer / TV Monitor.

Scalare

Why don't we just put all the answers in a sticky in this forum? It's for bot detection but no bot is smart enough to link the 2 together.

gadjung

non english speaker - had 0 problem with questions, also questions showed for like first 5 posts.
Even if, it's easy enough to use google (it gives correct answer to air conditioner question at least).

Quote from: Scalare on September 09, 2016, 06:54:18 AM
Why don't we just put all the answers in a sticky in this forum? It's for bot detection but no bot is smart enough to link the 2 together.
If it was so simple i guess it would be already done :)

14m1337

nooo, that 'd be too easy  ;D

Scalare

Quote from: 14m1337 on September 09, 2016, 08:16:48 AM

nooo, that 'd be too easy  ;D

Then I guess we have to wait until Quebec passes laws about making adhering to WCAG guidelines mandatory, and here's why:
Disabled people won't be able to answer the question about what's on top of the page, since the image doesn't have the same alt text as the text in the image, so when they view this page with a screen reader they keep on entering 'ludeon forums' making you effectively restrict visually impaired people from posting on these forums :).