Components getting annoying...

Started by Shurp, April 09, 2016, 08:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

Quote from: AllenWL on April 09, 2016, 11:12:23 PM
I like the in-depth research and everything, but in-depth research, in my opinion, should not be 'Research stuff, have fun, hit a resource block, wait around doing nothing much for ages as you run out of components'

Exactly.  I actually enjoyed all the steps up to the Multi-Analyzer.  But that was a giant roadblock.  I guess if you play on a mountain map it might not be too hard to find gold/plasteel to dig up somewhere, but I prefer playing on small hills where I can actually run out of steel.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

makapse

What map were you playing at cause i didnt find the component shortage that bad on my -95C ice sheet that randy decided to troll with a day1 winter(start summer) being volcanic one and putting it to -120C there. The need of the hydrophonics and heater(need 2 heaters per 6x6 room) is bad on the compononts, although i didnt use them for anything other than buildings. I think its just a case of needing to change our play style and less tool/armor making

deslona

Quote from: Shurp on April 09, 2016, 11:28:44 PM
Quote from: AllenWL on April 09, 2016, 11:12:23 PM
I like the in-depth research and everything, but in-depth research, in my opinion, should not be 'Research stuff, have fun, hit a resource block, wait around doing nothing much for ages as you run out of components'

I also agree. The plasteel is an issue. Some of these things seem a bit... much. Individually okay. But collectively on a plain. Too much.
Exactly.  I actually enjoyed all the steps up to the Multi-Analyzer.  But that was a giant roadblock.  I guess if you play on a mountain map it might not be too hard to find gold/plasteel to dig up somewhere, but I prefer playing on small hills where I can actually run out of steel.

Listen1

I see, I would like to see more opnions on this subject. I've played in montains on this alpha, and built the full research stuff in less than a year, and comms console in one season. After that I got the components kinda often, with 3 friendly factions, visits and caravans.

So i've found it pretty often, and for me it is really balanced.

My colony will probably not last long if a raid happen while i'm dealing with a major infestantion. So i'll play it on the open next time, on small hills. And let this discussion continue.

AllenWL

Hmm, maybe it has something to do with the terrain and how much you mine? It might be easier to find plasteel if you play in the mountains and mine a lot.

I prefer flat or small hills, and only mine exposed ore for the most part. Maybe that's why I'm having a harder time finding the plasteel?

Limdood

I understand the OP...the components are not the problem...they never were.

The scarcity of a rather huge required bottleneck research aspect is the issue.  I like the decisionmaking aspect on components.  I got lucky and got the gold i needed and killed a few mechanoids for the plasteel (i love minigun centipedes...so easy).

Gold should be more prevalent (its still hella expensive), as should plasteel....if every trader carried like 5-10 gold and combat suppliers, bulk, exotic, and caravans (but not random visitors or pirates) all carried steel and plasteel, then you could buy the parts for the multi- after about 2-4 traders...if you could afford it (the royal bed needing 50 gold is similarly super annoying...i HAVE the money for it, there's just no access to the gold)

Tynan

The trade availability on gold/plasteel just needs to be somewhat higher. And/or plasteel needs to be found in ancient tombs. Easy to address for next version.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Shurp

Trade availability would definitely work.  I'm not sure about the tomb being helpful; you'll probably run out of components before you can handle a half dozen mechanoids.

I am going to try my next game in the mountains and see if that solves the problem.  Gold usually isn't too hard to find there and I can probably find a chunk of plasteel.  I'm just used to having all I need on small hills :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Mihsan

For me gold never was a problem in 2 of my last games.

Because I watched A13 release trailer, I got from it importance of analiser and remembered that it needs gold. That's why I was searching for it from the start. If you will check ~10 land caravans, then you will find your gold for sure. And plasteel is even less of a problem for me somehow.

In fact I do even like this little challenge. It keeps this game a bit more alive and interesting.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Shurp

Plasteel less a problem how so?  Do you trade, mine, or kill mechanoids for it?  I haven't seen a trader with it yet.

Mihsan

Quote from: Shurp on April 10, 2016, 03:49:59 PM
Plasteel less a problem how so?  Do you trade, mine, or kill mechanoids for it?  I haven't seen a trader with it yet.
I never buy plasteel and mechanoids are the best way to get it. Dangerous, but it pays off. And when you get that fallen psy/poison ship, then you do not even have much choice, right?

Also plasteel sources are not so rare for mining even on flat maps. At least for me.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Shurp

I tried a Ludicronius map and got a teeny amount of plasteel, I think that's enough to make a go of it.  The caravans do occasionally have gold so now I'll know to snap it up as soon as I see it.

sadpickle

Quote from: Shurp on April 10, 2016, 03:36:18 PM
Trade availability would definitely work.  I'm not sure about the tomb being helpful; you'll probably run out of components before you can handle a half dozen mechanoids.
It all depends on the tomb... in this build two games ago I landed right next to a large, obvious tomb. Knew it was only a matter of time so opened it anyway. One scyther, which my colonists proceed to melee unarmed. We actually won, and the tank only lost a nose and ear. There were 6 caskets inside, which I never opened because of a "tantrum spiral" later on, thanks to the new social mechanics   8)

I've also found tombs with caskets and goodies but no mechanoids. If you start near one and are feelin' lucky, just pop it and take a look inside is my advice.

Shurp

So there are now multiple tombs with a variety of contents?  Interesting.

But "feeling lucky" sounds a lot like "time to savescum"

Andy_Dandy

50 plasteel a problem? I build my turrets out of plasteel, and am using 1000's of plasteel every game eventually, also for auto doors leading outside and for extra strong walls. But of course; you have to work for it. I always play on Cassandra Extreme with harder market prices.

Seriously, if you guys have problems with that, there are already mods for you. I for one enjoy the increased challenge to gameplay with components.

NB! And a little stop in Research progress is a pluss. It is not a game problem that you can't get what you want immediatly with no concerns.