Ship Takeoff

Started by Wycroe, October 04, 2014, 11:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wycroe

Hey guys,
Sooo..weird question incoming--->I am just on the cusp of building my first star ship to get off this accursed planet, and I need to know if there are any landscaping rules I should take into consideration....such as don't build it inside a small alcove in the mountains...It's open on the one side but surrounded on the other three, and I am nervous that when they go to take off they will slam into the side of the mountain, killing everyone in a very tragic (but kinda poetic) way...."Look guys, climb into your cryo-pods, go to sleep, and when you wake up we'll all be in paradise!"
I kinda just wanna let it happen if that's what the end result of my poorly planned build, but at the same time, I am gonna feel bad for those poor colonists...they've worked their asses off to get to this point :)

Aenir

All that matters is that it isn't underneath a roof.

KugelBlitz

yeah it don't matter, a cool trick is you can build many of the main structure parts so you can fit more chryo pods on it! that way no one gets left behind :D

Mathenaut

Since 7A, those components require no small investment in plasteel.  Make sure you have enough.  If your planet doesn't have much, it may be a pain.

Wycroe

Quote from: Mathenaut on October 05, 2014, 01:10:19 AM
Since 7A, those components require no small investment in plasteel.  Make sure you have enough.  If your planet doesn't have much, it may be a pain.

Yeah...that's what I've just learned....I am currently doing 2 things...groundhogging through the mountains and hoping to come across some more plasteel, and harvesting organs from the prisoners who just REFUSE to join my awesome colony, which then get sold to passing traders...Nobody has died in my colony in the 3 (game) years I've been running it...found a nice little spot to start, and tunneled into the mountians forcing raiders and mechs to attack my front door, which is VERY well gaurded :)  You'd figure people would be lining up to join, but nope...they sit in their cells, refusing to join...I do wonder what the prisoners think is happening when the prisoner next to them is screaming and going crazy, followed by a doctor entering the room and coming out soon after with 3-5 little coolers, and lastly another colonist comes and hauls a body off to the crematorium.....

TheXIIILightning

Quote from: Wycroe on October 05, 2014, 09:46:16 PM

Yeah...that's what I've just learned....I am currently doing 2 things...groundhogging through the mountains and hoping to come across some more plasteel, and harvesting organs from the prisoners who just REFUSE to join my awesome colony, which then get sold to passing traders...Nobody has died in my colony in the 3 (game) years I've been running it...found a nice little spot to start, and tunneled into the mountians forcing raiders and mechs to attack my front door, which is VERY well gaurded :)  You'd figure people would be lining up to join, but nope...they sit in their cells, refusing to join...I do wonder what the prisoners think is happening when the prisoner next to them is screaming and going crazy, followed by a doctor entering the room and coming out soon after with 3-5 little coolers, and lastly another colonist comes and hauls a body off to the crematorium.....

They probably think that is a regular thing that happens to the people who live in your colony. "No way I'm joining a band of Psycopaths!" XD

Ink.

Quote from: Wycroe on October 05, 2014, 09:46:16 PM
You'd figure people would be lining up to join, but nope...they sit in their cells, refusing to join...I do wonder what the prisoners think is happening when the prisoner next to them is screaming and going crazy, followed by a doctor entering the room and coming out soon after with 3-5 little coolers, and lastly another colonist comes and hauls a body off to the crematorium.....

They are persistent aren't they? I had a colonist that had a recruitment difficult of 99. I had a 1% chance with my best warden each time. After like 2 months he finally joined us. I was gonna harvest him but he was a high level shooter so y'know, more useful alive than dead.

Wycroe

It's proly noobish of me, but I stopped worrying about the stats someone has after I have enough to do the main jobs I need done...if I end up recruiting a sucky colonist, well, they are still good for hauling or cleaning right?

Ink.

Quote from: Wycroe on October 05, 2014, 11:28:20 PM

It's proly noobish of me, but I stopped worrying about the stats someone has after I have enough to do the main jobs I need done...if I end up recruiting a sucky colonist, well, they are still good for hauling or cleaning right?

Yep. But in my colony, the size of raids are pretty large so it requires me to have a decent standing military ready. (roughly 20ish soldiers currently with 10 casualties) So I didn't want to give up on him because he could be great military wise. All my soldiers are haulers/cleaners, while workers manage everything else. If I didn't have this big of a size, I might of let him go and just opt for someone else who isn't as skilled because then I could just train their shooting on hunts and what not. But this guys entire purpose is just to open fire on my enemies, so I didn't mind. Plus, all it meant was that once a day my warden went over and chatted him up for awhile. Nothing too demanding.

Aenir

Not all colonists are able to haul or clean, though.

Wycroe

Quote from: Aenir on October 06, 2014, 12:27:06 PM

Not all colonists are able to haul or clean, though.

Really?  I have never had a colonist who couldn't do one of those 2 jobs so I must be lucky :). I promise you though, if one turns up I'll send someone in with a cooler right away....I won't even bother training him...no dead weight in my colony :)

Coenmcj

God damn it, the spambots are spreading.

ontopic however, you can plug the ship reactors into your power grid until you're ready to take off, so long as it's not under a roof.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Coenmcj on October 16, 2014, 07:42:13 PM
God damn it, the spambots are spreading.
Oh don't I know it.... :(

TBH I haven't built a ship yet in A7, but from what I remember from when I have built them, it doesn't matter where they are built, they'll launch regardless.
But for a realism aspect, trying to build one in an open area is a nice challenge. :)
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created