social experiment

Started by kasimirtlw, January 06, 2015, 09:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The-MathMog

Hehe, yeah can't believe he fought through that!

I know right! Though it must just be because they have a lot more targets to actually hit. Even if they miss your colonist, there is still a high chance for it to destroy part of your buildings.
I'm looking forward to seing how the change to mortars will affect this. (Mortars now need shells, and are more powerful *Dev Blog*) :D

The-MathMog

Allright, my colony is in february, year 3. So a little less than a year until they've completed their assignment, though I must admit that I might play this one a bit further, as it ended better than expected! ;)

The colony is now 14 colonists and is beginning to become quite wealthy.

On the picture here you can see my defence line. I improved it alot from the first design, as I wanted my colonists to feel even safer.
So the inner circle is 20 turrets, several of them plasteel, with 24 safe shooting spots. All the turrets are protected by sandbags and rock chunks.

The outer perimeter is 10 plasteel turrets, which is a great way to kill alot of raiders, tribes and even mechs before they can even take shots at my colonists (Last attack, the outer perimeter withstood 4 Centipedes and 4 scythers).

There is also a few turrets in the middle of the base for when attackers decide to use drop pods, but they mainly serve as a last stand defence.

To counter any besiegers, the base has also 15 mortars installed. 10 regular and 5 incendiary.

In the center of the colony is my crops, growing both foods and cotton. The cotton have served me a good profit.
And in the right part of the base is my hydroponics, for when any cold snaps might kill my outdoor crops in winter.

For such a scenario I also have quite a big freezer, being able to store enough food for several months.

I have also added two main outdoor storage areas for easy access for both colonists and traders. Two was needed as my 1st one got filled up with all sorts of random crap!

No fatalities yet, but that can still happen in the next year! The closets is my slow walker "Vector" who is good for absolutely nothing with his royal 6/10 impaired brain! ;)

The-MathMog

Experiment complete! 3 years and 1 day after arrival and everyone is alive and well. Well, unless "Vector" and his slow gunshot brain! And it did take a while to get him to line up for the photo!
It ended on a colony with 19 colonists (+1 prisoner)!

But all in all, no deaths and not any situations that put them in immense danger.
The last few attacks were getting around 40-50 tribals/pirates, so at least it made it a bit more fun, raining fire on them with my mortars.

The colony has reached a very stable state with a lot of resources, agriculture and defences to be set for life. Several Legendary sculptures has been places throughout the base (even in the prison cell) for improved happiness.

The defence is the same as in the last pictures, but there have been improvements on the mortars. From 15 to 24. 15 regular and 9 incendiary, to just be able to take down siegers quicker.

The stockpiles were full so I added two more areas. Traders are just coming by so rarely lately. The last time they did, I had 7000+ cloth to provide to my wealth! And I still can't sell my Legendary Plasteel Mace worth 12000 Silver.

The last few months of the game I found myself trying to ignite the south-western part of the map with mortars, but for some reason it started raining a few hours every time I tried, EVERYTIME. So that made it even more borring.
But it is definately a colony I will keep playing!

The colony which had to face every trial!

The colonists that made this a unique place!