Most protective non-armor outfit?

Started by vampiresoap, September 13, 2018, 12:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzoxz0

It's not like they don't help, but _they aren't armor_, and they shouldn't be unless they're classed as such. Armor has inherent downsides like being bulky.

You can sow your clothes out of spider-silk, one of the strongest materials known to man, it's still useless if you get shot with it and it's not specially intended to serve as armor.

b0rsuk

I can't find the other thread and I don't want to create a new one, but I just had a colonist wearing an excellent simple steel helmet die to a shortbow arrow from maximum range. One hit kill, brain destroyed. b19

I don't feel encouraged to participate in combat at all.

bbqftw

Simple helmet provides like 30% protection against a brainshot. Even a typical power helmet gives you 50% against typical weapons.

Not like there is much difference between 3/10 brain and dead since you typically go years between serum offers. Or in recent 7 year victory, no serums at all.

Helmet is just psychological, best is play in super conservative way where you don't get hit at all. Any time you let an enemy fire at your unshielded pawn it is a mistake. Even against sappers this level of play is possible.

5thHorseman

Another strategy that I find works quite well is stop caring when one of your pawns dies. Bad things happen and you gotta roll with it. It actually makes the game easier for a while, too.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

zizard

That's exploiting the adaptation system. If u wanna do that u might as well burn all ur stuff and do ultra low wealth.

Shurp

A hyperthread cap would have been... almost as useless.  Well, he would have survived with brain damage instead of dying.  So maybe negative worth?

Anyway, most armor is useless in b19.  Just Say No.  Flak vests are worthwhile to keep your chest cavity organs in one piece.  Everything else, forget it.

Assault rifles, on the other hand, have been buffed and are quite worthwhile.  You can mow down bow carrying tribals quickly before they have much chance to put holes in your pawns' heads.  And charge rifles are nice too if you mod the range out to 35. 

Basically, b19 rewards offense.  Get out there and kill 'em quick.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

5thHorseman

Quote from: zizard on October 01, 2018, 07:11:11 PM
That's exploiting the adaptation system. If u wanna do that u might as well burn all ur stuff and do ultra low wealth.
No. It's not.

Killing your weakest pawn every 30 days (or whatever) is exploiting the adaptation system. Not reloading when someone dies in power armor when you otherwise took reasonable (not unreasonable, like micromanaging every millisecond of a battle) measures to keep them alive is playing the game.
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.

bbqftw

If simulating playing bad is so close to actually playing bad that the two are indistinguishable how can it be an exploit????

Crow_T

Quote from: 5thHorseman on October 01, 2018, 07:01:18 PM
Another strategy that I find works quite well is stop caring when one of your pawns dies. Bad things happen and you gotta roll with it. It actually makes the game easier for a while, too.
This is the best answer, the game becomes a lot more fun when you can shrug off colonist deaths (which I admit can be hard to do!). One of my favorite colonies was one I didn't care about, they all had beer and tea and a careless god :P Watching crazy youtubers like xwynns is a good way to get into the spirit of not caring too much, it's good fun.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

Shurp

It helps that Rimworld is generous with throwing new colonists at you, so even if half your pawns die and most of your base gets burned to the ground there's still hope to rebuild.  Getting attached to your pawns definitely doesn't pay.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

b0rsuk

Going back to topic, I think war veils and ceremonial shaman headdress is the way to go now. Except... I'm not sure pain resistance is actually an upgrade. A downed colonist is almost always a surviving colonist, unless everything is on fire.

5thHorseman

Quote from: b0rsuk on October 03, 2018, 01:13:35 PM
Going back to topic, I think war veils and ceremonial shaman headdress is the way to go now. Except... I'm not sure pain resistance is actually an upgrade. A downed colonist is almost always a surviving colonist, unless everything is on fire.
Or they're being hunted for food. A wimp getting targeted by the warg that happens to be standing next to him is more likely to be killed than most any other thing in the game.

Limdood

doesn't help much vs. head, but i find the steel plate armor to be pretty darned strong in combat.  Its early in the tech tree, relatively cheap (its a lot of metal, but no components, so it won't drain pre-fabrication resources too permanently), and easily gets sharp protection over 100% with good quality.

Yes I realize you're asking about "non-armor" items, but really all the outfit pieces are interchangeable.  shirt/pants, steel plate armor, and cowboy hat or tuque and you're about as protected as you can be pre-marine armor