Let colonists carry small animals in caravans

Started by asanbr, September 08, 2017, 09:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asanbr

I tried to form a caravan with some chicks included during a toxic fallout.

It takes forever for the caravan to leave the map because the chicks walk super slowly. Meanwhile, they weigh less than 2kg each and the pawns could easily carry them (even realistically).

Pawns get toxic fallout because they wait too long and the caravan fails. Happened two times now.

Penguinmanereikel

Not a bad idea. Using very small animals as carried objects instead of hauler/follower animals.

PatrykSzczescie

Looking at the title I didn't feel like this idea was needed, but after I read the problem you described, I think this would be helpful to be implemented. Some young animals are very slow, but they could take space in inventory to speed up the caravan.

Vlad0mi3r

Just as an interim fix. Why don't you take the fertilised eggs instead. You can pack them and as long as you take enough, say 10 of them you should have a viable population of chickens when you get to the other end.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

asanbr

Quote from: Vlad0mi3r on September 11, 2017, 07:11:46 AM
Just as an interim fix. Why don't you take the fertilised eggs instead. You can pack them and as long as you take enough, say 10 of them you should have a viable population of chickens when you get to the other end.

Sure, if I could have planned all of it I would and I did on another occasion when I had 10 eggs at 90% or so progress.

In the above situation I just had what I had, and I had to get out of the toxic fallout where food wasn't growing and people were already above 60% toxic buildup. I wanted the chickens to come along since they had no future in a colony without people and plants.

Vlad0mi3r

Just had a thought. Don't know how far your colony was along but if you had drop pods you could chuck'em in there until you have resettled and then fire them in to the new location.

I feel sad for them not making it now  :( poor little chickens.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

asanbr

Good suggestion with the pods. That would have worked if I had the resources for it.

In the end actually the chickens did make it on the 3rd attempt. I had to leave the 3rd colonist at home though, because he/she was too high on toxic fallout and couldn't get out.

khun_poo

Right now you can only work around this. You can start 2 caravans instead of just 1 caravan.

1st caravan
- Everything you need except those chicken. When they exit the map, let them wait there. Don't move them yet.

2nd caravan
- 1 pawn with all those chicken. Don't pick anything else. Build a new caravan packing spot near the edge of the map help a lot too (Corresponding to where you're choosing them to exit of cause). Don't forget to remove the old caravan packing spot.

Then merge 2 caravan in the world map. You can send that 1 pawn from the 2nd caravan back by split the caravan.

I always use this trick when moving a lot of prisoner to sell at nearby town too. Some have lose leg and not healthy which make them took forever to move from base to screen edge.

asanbr

Thanks, I didn't know towns buy prisoners. I have so many prisoners and wanted to start an organ farm expansion town, but it turned out the debuff for organ harvest is planetwide.

This will be my new income source.